Very, very new and need an opinion or two.

Jun 26, 2017
Atlantic city
Detector(s) used
None, looking and asking questions before buying
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello my name is Honkysaurusrex, Honky for short. I have been thinking on buying either a metal detector or a telescope.
I live in Atlantic city New Jersey and there is not really much places to go metal detecting in except the beach, unless I sneak on to some ones farm in Vineland New jersey and go crazy. I have no transportation other then a bus to do that so that is out of the question.
Would it be worth me buying a metal detector just to go on a beach? I see others doing it so I figure that they have already found all the good stuff, please let me know what you think.

winmeek

Greenie
Feb 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Transportation is a big deal for metal detecting. Get the telescope.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the metal detector. Post your finds on here. Sell your finds and buy telescope.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you look at beach and shallow water forum for awhile.Also remember people lose stuff everyday so even with competition out there, there will always be more to find.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honky,

The first rule of metal detecting is that before you hunt on private property, you get permission from the property owner.

Metal detecting has many sub groups of specialties. Beach hunting is just one. Other folks only hunt very old sites for artifacts. Some hunt gold nuggets. I personally normally hunt for clad and other modern stuff. While I love beach hunting, I live no where near a beach. Presently I am spending all my detecting time searching the yard where I live. The house where my apartment is was built in 1900. I'm digging a ton of trash right now. But I know once I get this out, better finds are waiting.

The key is to think like a treasure hunter.

You say you can only detect the beach because you take the bus. WRONG. I take the bus and I get to hundreds of potential metal detecting sites.

Chances are parts of you City were old farms one or two hundred years ago. Research will guide you to those sites.

Look around this site. You'll discover people find great stuff nearly everywhere people congregate.

But remember this, like any endeavor metal detecting take a time to learn. Yes, you might have begineer's luck and find a gold ring on your first swing. It's even more likely you'll dig up a pull tab. Or on the beach the dreaded foil cap liner found on condiment bottles.

The real fun is in the anticipation of what the next signal will bring. It's not for those seeking instant gratification. Though some hunts are all instant gratification.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the detector, the bus will take you many many many places to hunt in nj. Just gotta start knocking on those old house doors. Heck depending on your area you could probably walk to quite a few good hunting sites. If you keep at it you can buy that telescope in a year or so as well by selling finds.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe buy a car instead of something you will likely use twice and throw in a closet.

I have to agree. There may be more people today with detectors in their closet, than there are active users. The key is to get out and use the darned thing and do not get discouraged. With regular usage, treasure will come, and it sure won't if you don't!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very nice telescope, looked at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Since then it has been in storage and I may get it out again but I have been hunting with my metal detectors in open parks, tot lots, the beach(dry sand and hard packed), and some non-posted school yards. No private Prop. without permission. Research is the key and as others have stated, what is standing there now is not necessarily what was there 100-150 or longer ago. Be ready to dig pull tabs, foil and trash along with clad and if you hit it right, you might just find those treasures too. Remember that the beach is getting new people everyday/week, they lose stuff and the ocean and sand always like to turn up buried stuff too. But be willing to stick with it or think a bit more before you spend. Good Luck in your decision!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither, buy a sling shot (Flip) and shoot at prehistoric animals in your yard.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread