Deep Seeker

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a metal detector that in a way can do all I need it to do. I understand there is no perfect machine that can do everything of course... a machine that can do most things built into one machine is a CTX 3030... or a machine that can find anything out there and gold the ATX (perfect machine in my mind better than CTX) my issue is I dont want to keep having to go over the same hole every detector I buy I want a detector that can detect ONCE and tell me if theres anything metal in that hole... I dont want to have to go back use the CTX then go back use a ATX.. I want a machine that is deep enough to tell me there is NOTHING in there not even 5-10ft down. I was told now a Two-Box can go up too even 20ft deep depending on size though? so my quesiton to you the type of "Prospecting" I am wanting to do do you think a Two-Box is needed. I was told the top depth even the ATX PRO can go is 3-4ft your looking at 1900s stuff... what about medieval or even older stuff that's way the hell farther than 5-8ft underground especially if I am in the mountains the terrain is different a little 4-5ft seeker aint finding me jack in a mountain. My main focus is the ATX PRO because it does more than the CTX 3030 and most other detectors and is the deepest seeker.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Id be looking in the gpx range. Mutli change coils. From 5 inch to 50 inch. You will loose out on disc and also not water proof.
Short answer. You will need atleast 2-3 different detectors to cover your different areas.
Also the atx is just a more expensive infinium ls. Just with a slightly bigger coil.
Read the states. They both have almost the exact same settings.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No where in your post have you said what your objective targets are. But it seems like you're hinting at cache hunting ? If so: Stick to a 2-box unit . JMHO.

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WEll I understand Two-Boxes eliminate surface items even most rings and such. Will I still be able to pick up lets say: Swords, Shields, Guns, Gold Nuggets. Also what brand is a trust worthy two box I was thinking DRS technology but from what I heard DRS is fake.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to check out the OKM line of metal detectors and Ground Penetrating Radar units. They are pricey and there are the critics that say that they don't do what they say they are capable of but the proof is in the pudding per see and OKM products have found quite a lot of rare and ancient items that likely would not have been found with any other type of metal detector or GPR.

https://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/en/

Frank

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have heard about the GPR units before, I have also heard many say there false. Have you ever used a GPR unit before or know much about them..or perhaps there depth capability.

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured out the issues here now no longer need help with this discussion. I called metal detector companies, there is no such metal detector as in hobby types that can go further than even 4ft and that's minelabs $10,000 machine with best coils can go as far as 4ft. They told me the best is Ground penetrating radars like above said, there proven to work and even show an "image" of what's down there. Sure you can say they don't work but every MD company knows they do for deeper targets even Minelab claims GPR units do indeed work and are for anyone who wishes to detect on a deeper level than 5ft, so that will be my answer is to search for the most reliable GRP unit lol if you do have experience with those machines please message me though otherwise ill work on doing some research and calling them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPR detectors work, I know people who use them....

jadedalex

Jul 19, 2017
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured out the issues here now no longer need help with this discussion. I called metal detector companies, there is no such metal detector as in hobby types that can go further than even 4ft and that's minelabs $10,000 machine with best coils can go as far as 4ft. They told me the best is Ground penetrating radars like above said, there proven to work and even show an "image" of what's down there. Sure you can say they don't work but every MD company knows they do for deeper targets even Minelab claims GPR units do indeed work and are for anyone who wishes to detect on a deeper level than 5ft, so that will be my answer is to search for the most reliable GRP unit lol if you do have experience with those machines please message me though otherwise ill work on doing some research and calling them.

Shaen, Are you sure you're willing to dig 5 ft. targets? That's a whole lot of shovelling...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't have any personal experience with Ground Penetrating Radar Systems but know they work. There is a myriad of Youtube and other videos online that show they work and also information on them. They have been used all over the world to find ancient relics and treasures and even in the United States in searching for KGC buried treasures and other buried items. There seems to be quite a few companies that produce Ground Penetrating Radar Systems but the two I have heard more about, are OKM and DRS Electronics. Be advised that these systems are not for those meek in finances as they can cost from around $25,000 upwards to $75,000 or more depending on the capability you want/need and the accessories you want/need.

Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
WEll I understand Two-Boxes eliminate surface items even most rings and such. Will I still be able to pick up lets say: Swords, Shields, Guns, Gold Nuggets. Also what brand is a trust worthy two box I was thinking DRS technology but from what I heard DRS is fake.

It depends on the size of the swords, sheilds, and guns. Figure that the smallest target that a 2-box machine will find, is a soda-can sized target. MAYBE a silver dollar or domino sized object, if you held it *just right* and were tuned *very* finely. But realistically speaking: Soda can sized.

No, they won't find "gold nuggets". Unless the nugget were soda can sized or larger :)

Bear in mind that you might get recommendations for standard detectors (even nugget-prospecting detectors) that can effortlessly get both pinhead nuggets AND caches . To extreme depths mind you. But the devil is always in the details. Any time you start trying to use a standard coin machine (or worse yet, a nugget machine) for cache hunting, is the moment you'll be forever be-devilled hearing every single frickin' little thing you want to avoid. Eg.: tabs, nails, individual coins, etc... And even if you try to tell yourself : "I'll ignore all the small signals", it never works out that way in actual practice. You will find yourself endlessly digging a bunch of signals "just to make sure".

Hence if your objective is cache-sized objects, get a Whites Tm 808.

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the assistance guys, I figured out that like people say theres not one detector... (dumb why I thought that way) professionals will have more than one machine to do more than one job I can see that now. I guess what I got in my mind was that I am wasting my time by going over the same hole every single time I get a new detector...GPR units are really sweet perfect for depth but that's more if I get into serious hunting, cave dwelling, finding tombs, what ever you know that's a big thing. I believe for now I need not to think so far ahead and ruin my hobby and go after the CTX 3030 or ATX PRO. Both different machines for jobs, I love the ATX because its been tested in almost every terrain out there even by the military, its been proven to work in hot minerals and still detect very small nuggets of gold....on other hands the CTX 3030 is a known machine, beautiful technology and discrimination modes.... waterproof like the atx as well... cannot go as deep though even with all coils..but that seems like a machine id have fun with lol (bottom line ill just focus on getting my 3030 lol)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have often wondered how deep my' White's Goldmaster 66-T Metal and Mineral Detector will detect a metal object using the 16 inch or 24 inch coils I have for it! I can use the detector but it needs the battery holders replaced to accommodate the newer battery packs used to replace the old vintage 9 volt and 12 volt batteries it used. It was previously owned by a Geology Professor who traveled the world looking for Gold, Silver, Platinum, Gems and lots of other things. When his' daughters and grandkids sold off his' Estate, I purchased the 66-T and got a bunch of rods and 5 coils with it. They divided up the large bags and buckets of ores, specimens and gems between all of the family members and would not sell any of it.:BangHead:

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread