Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jeff of pa
  • 2 Post By Tom_in_CA
  • 1 Post By Tom_in_CA

Thread: springs

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jul 2017
    LAKE CITY, FL
    AT PRO
    38
    87 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    springs

    This question has been answered many times. I am new to metal detecting in Columbia County, Fl. Is it lawful to metal detect at springs such as Rum Island and others. I believe that it is ok to do in state parks, or is it? There is so much disinformation available on metal detecting in Florida. So I am inquiring from the reliable resources. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Charter Member

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    61,006
    21840 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    TerryC likes this.

  3. #3

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    11,100
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKE CITY GARRETTATPRO View Post
    This question has been answered many times. I am new to metal detecting in Columbia County, Fl. Is it lawful to metal detect at springs such as Rum Island and others. I believe that it is ok to do in state parks, or is it? There is so much disinformation available on metal detecting in Florida. So I am inquiring from the reliable resources. Thanks in advance.
    Rum Island Springs is a county park. Not a state park. I just went to their website, and tried variations in their word search box of "metal" or "detector" or "detecting", etc.... I see no prohibitions. And then I tested the word search function just to make sure it's not lame. By typing in "dog" and "leash", for example, and ... yes ... rules regarding dogs and leash come up. Hence yes, the search function searches adequately . Thus if it's silent on the subject, then presto, it's not prohibited.

    And you say "... and others". It would depend on city, county, state, federal, or private. So you'd need to specify which "spring" you are referring to. But in each case, all you need to do is look up said rules for yourself (rather than asking a bored pencil pusher and risking a "safe" answer). Personally, I think even that is over-thinking it. I just hit any park I come to, unless 1) I see a sign to the contrary, or 2) it's an obvious historic monument with bored archies standing about.

    As for the state park part of your question: From all that I've read from FL folk, the inland land (terra firma) parks are a no-go. But the state park beaches are fair game.

    Of course avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, don't over think it. It is very rare for any county or city to have ever dreamt up a rule specifically addressing md'ing. You don't need an "express allowance" (eg.: a law saying "metal detecting allowed here"). Silent on the subject is adequate. Of course, for nice manicured turf, be aware that a man with a detector might have ... uh ... "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So pick low traffic times so as not to be a nuisance or attract gripers.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Sep 08, 2017 at 11:06 AM.
    dirtdigginfool and TerryC like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  4. #4

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    11,100
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    And be aware that the link Jeff gives is just for state parks. Not for other types land (city, county, fed, private, etc....)
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

    Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    5,405
    3542 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Rum Island Springs is a county park. Not a state park. I just went to their website, and tried variations in their word search box of "metal" or "detector" or "detecting", etc.... I see no prohibitions. And then I tested the word search function just to make sure it's not lame. By typing in "dog" and "leash", for example, and ... yes ... rules regarding dogs and leash come up. Hence yes, the search function searches adequately . Thus if it's silent on the subject, then presto, it's not prohibited.

    And you say "... and others". It would depend on city, county, state, federal, or private. So you'd need to specify which "spring" you are referring to. But in each case, all you need to do is look up said rules for yourself (rather than asking a bored pencil pusher and risking a "safe" answer). Personally, I think even that is over-thinking it. I just hit any park I come to, unless 1) I see a sign to the contrary, or 2) it's an obvious historic monument with bored archies standing about.

    As for the state park part of your question: From all that I've read from FL folk, the inland land (terra firma) parks are a no-go. But the state park beaches are fair game.

    Of course avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, don't over think it. It is very rare for any county or city to have ever dreamt up a rule specifically addressing md'ing. You don't need an "express allowance" (eg.: a law saying "metal detecting allowed here"). Silent on the subject is adequate. Of course, for nice manicured turf, be aware that a man with a detector might have ... uh ... "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So pick low traffic times so as not to be a nuisance or attract gripers.
    It has been my belief (I lived in FL for years... detecting) That the salt beaches are detectable up to the high tide line back down to and into the water. BEWARE! The Mel Fisher bunch has sole rights to some of the waters around FL.... and they will prosecute. ╦╦Ç
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

  6. #6

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    11,100
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    ...The Mel Fisher bunch has sole rights to some of the waters around FL.... and they will prosecute. ╦╦Ç
    Do you know, or have heard of anyone, who was "prosecuted" ? My hunch is, if you have an example: It's someone who couldn't take a warning or scram. Or someone being obnoxious in some way. If I'm wrong, and they are "cuffing and stuffing", would love to see any link or example.
    TerryC likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

    Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Garrett Pinpointer
    5,405
    3542 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Do you know, or have heard of anyone, who was "prosecuted" ? My hunch is, if you have an example: It's someone who couldn't take a warning or scram. Or someone being obnoxious in some way. If I'm wrong, and they are "cuffing and stuffing", would love to see any link or example.
    Hey Tom, I cannot remember a specific example. My info comes from the attendants down at the museum (McLarty Treasure museum) at Sebastian Inlet, where one of the Fisher groups is active. I believe Mel started the museum to show off treasure recovered. I also saw a documentary that pretty much said the same thing. No personal anecdotes to add. TODAY IS THE DAY! Fisher says (said) this to his crew every day. ╦╦Ç
    Be not concerned with what dirt your enemy has on you. Be concerned with where they got it from.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Faulkner Springs Hotel, Faulkner Springs, TN early 1900s
    By River Rat in forum Old Photos - Tennessee
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 29, 2016, 05:18 AM
  2. oil springs
    By kentucky dirt fisher in forum Finds - Kentucky
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 03, 2010, 10:16 PM
  3. Hot Springs
    By Gypsy Heart in forum Arkansas
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2008, 09:46 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2007, 11:22 AM
  5. Springs always pay off.
    By red in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 17, 2006, 02:29 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0