Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just carry a dozen fire crackers in your pocket..light one off now
and then and the critters will usually stay away.

The Northeastern coyote is larger and more square jawed than the
western version. Never heard of a wolf/coyote hybrid, but I guess
it's certainly possible, and that hybrid critter would indeed be more
aggressive.

If you seem them appearing to stalk you, your best move is to
get aggressive yourself. Throw rocks, yell at them and swing
your detector; let them know you mean business. One thing
predators fear is being injured, as then they can not hunt to
feed themselves.

So back in the day wolves were eradicated from the area as in much of the united states. So later on they tried to reintroduce a breed of wolf from canada to replace the population. The red wolf or coy wolf I think. Problem is that all they did was breed with the coyotes for awhile then die off. Now we have weird big coyotes that can actually take on quite an orangish color, and they readily pack together and show other wolf like traits.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should really keep your mouth shut if you have no idea what your talking about.

Sorry, you don't tell me what to post here, got it? I do have experience with coyotes. I was walking up a steep hill one day and two were at the top. Probably more lurking in the bushes, but I only saw two of them. They glared at me, but immediately ran when I clapped my hands. I guess your problem is they sense the fear in you. They knew I wasn't afraid, so they didn't mess with me.

Just remember when you go into the woods that you're in THEIR home. The only reason they might attack is to protect their young, who may be hidden close by. Stop living your life in fear (with one hand on your gun) and you'll enjoy life a lot more.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, you don't tell me what to post here, got it? I do have experience with coyotes. I was walking up a steep hill one day and two were at the top. Probably more lurking in the bushes, but I only saw two of them. They glared at me, but immediately ran when I clapped my hands. I guess your problem is they sense the fear in you. They knew I wasn't afraid, so they didn't mess with me.

Just remember when you go into the woods that you're in THEIR home. The only reason they might attack is to protect their young, who may be hidden close by. Stop living your life in fear (with one hand on your gun) and you'll enjoy life a lot more.

Then don't come at me implying I am uneducated and slinging rounds into the woods with no valid reason. And if your going to get on that tangent of people telling people what to do, don't tell me how to live my life or protect myself for that matter. Your coming off as a "know it all" who really doesn't know a thing about the situation I have here, not one bit. I've been in the same position where dangerous animals (including coyotes) do scare easily. This was not one of those times. Don't expect anything but disrespect when you come forth with it yourself....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had yotes " visit" and approach close in the dark while tending to downed deer while awaiting my departure.
Interesting for sure. A rifle shot can be like ringing a dinner bell and require checking for scent of blood , quick like.

Check out rabies in N.Y..
Though I do not hunt there ,I do not expect to outrun a coyote here. Or other sick creatures.

Yote predation on fawns is natural , though not pretty; but yotes remain highly discriminated against here. Twenty doe and only one fawn last November on an informal survey of an area.
Once fawns are thinned out ,attention turns to next convenient prey.
They have not scored on any of my small dogs ,yet. Though they certainly have on those of others.
When the coyote watch sign is on the door....a gun is at hand. Same as in the woods/ field.

Yeah rabies is around, I have had to put down several rabid animals in my life. No fun.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So back in the day wolves were eradicated from the area as in much of the united states. So later on they tried to reintroduce a breed of wolf from canada to replace the population. The red wolf or coy wolf I think. Problem is that all they did was breed with the coyotes for awhile then die off. Now we have weird big coyotes that can actually take on quite an orangish color, and they readily pack together and show other wolf like traits.

We have "coydogs" much bigger than western coyotes that result from domestic dog crosses with coyotes.
Odd as they will kill domestic dogs given the chance ,and if sized correctly and not outnumbered ,but will breed a female in heat too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah rabies is around, I have had to put down several rabid animals in my life. No fun.

No. Not fun. But what are you going to do when an afflicted animal won't back off ,or grabs one of your pets? They do not behave the same as a healthy specimen.
There is distemper and a host of other problems as well.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have "coydogs" much bigger than western coyotes that result from domestic dog crosses with coyotes.
Odd as they will kill domestic dogs given the chance ,and if sized correctly and not outnumbered ,but will breed a female in heat too.

Ive heard of this. Also they will lure domestic dogs away from homes to kill them. Act like they are playing with the dog and such and lead them off to the rest of the pack.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Not fun. But what are you going to do when an afflicted animal won't back off ,or grabs one of your pets? They do not behave the same as a healthy specimen.
There is distemper and a host of other problems as well.

Yeah they act like a totally different animal. Usually you won't be able to scare them away very easily, and often they actually turn on you. Crazy stuff. Can't imagine what a rabid human would be like.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only walk in parks and on beaches, and no need for guns.

I feel safer in the woods than the local parks. As for beaches - we're inland and I DEFINATELY see a justification to carry when walking along riverbanks and under bridges.

Coyotes at least would only kill for food.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to be mobbed by a pack of carnivores out in the woods at night, I would suggest the obvious - Don't go out in the woods at night.

Unless the blast scares them off, I would think a gun would be of limited use. If 1 is close enough to see it for a good shot, others will be swarming just as close. Why anyone would risk a scenario like that just to score an old buried horse shoe is a bit beyond me.
That said, I'm not judging and really don't care, but honestly would have no sympathy if you were torn to shreds. You know the dangers going in better than anyone, you still do it so you take your chances.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't want to be mobbed by a pack of carnivores out in the woods at night, I would suggest the obvious - Don't go out in the woods at night.

Unless the blast scares them off, I would think a gun would be of limited use. If 1 is close enough to see it for a good shot, others will be swarming just as close. Why anyone would risk a scenario like that just to score an old buried horse shoe is a bit beyond me.
That said, I'm not judging and really don't care, but honestly would have no sympathy if you were torn to shreds. You know the dangers going in better than anyone, you still do it so you take your chances.

Yarr me matey, I have an awful addiction that causes me to do stupid things haha. This was a pretty rare occurrence for how often I'm wandering in the woods at night. But I'll risk it all for that next silver or gold, knowing that I may very well one day be torn to shreds. Though with a hand gun I would have almost no worries. Most times a warning shot will scare them off. This is my go to move around the house if yelling doesn't scare them, and I have never had to go beyond it yet to needlessly kill an animal. Plus the only animal I wouldn't hear or smell coming around me is a cougar... In which case your 100 percent correct, a gun would probably be of no use. But they are pretty rare and I'll take those chances. I'll remember you told me so when it happens though!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i bet your not afraid of the dark either...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yarr me matey, I have an awful addiction that causes me to do stupid things haha. This was a pretty rare occurrence for how often I'm wandering in the woods at night. But I'll risk it all for that next silver or gold, knowing that I may very well one day be torn to shreds. Though with a hand gun I would have almost no worries. Most times a warning shot will scare them off. This is my go to move around the house if yelling doesn't scare them, and I have never had to go beyond it yet to needlessly kill an animal. Plus the only animal I wouldn't hear or smell coming around me is a cougar... In which case your 100 percent correct, a gun would probably be of no use. But they are pretty rare and I'll take those chances. I'll remember you told me so when it happens though!

Well hey, some of my night time urban detecting is probably riskier than deep woods, we all take our chances sometimes and know that going off the beaten path has its rewards and risks.

There are some half assed woods around here but so far not much of a woods hunter.
Not against the principle but seems to me would be very difficult to impossible to swing in most areas, and I think the mosquitoes alone would drive me away.
Occasionally see a coyote or a fox, very skittish and timid around these parts from what I have seen.

Just by chance took this pic yesterday of an area I want to hunt, steep path leads to a small river that was the heart of the city in pioneering days. Used to be a stagecoach tavern somewhere back there, exact location I am still working on. Ground is still virgin, never been developed but I got swarmed by skeeters just peeping in from the edge so I cancelled my plans and detected a nearby field.
No doubt some critters lurking in there, but nothing like you have to contend with.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    914.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hey, some of my night time urban detecting is probably riskier than deep woods, we all take our chances sometimes and know that going off the beaten path has its rewards and risks.

I would more worried bout those humans in the city than the coyotes here for sure haha. Also I would deet up and hit that patch for sure, or wait for colder weather to kill the bugs. Sounds like a great spot

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have to pick and choose the right equipment and defences for our own situations, areas and skill sets.
What is right for me may not work for you.

I will circle back around an area and wait till the drug dealers (usually armed illegally) leave before i pull in and get out of the truck, i have my keys around my neck and it has a panic button, which will do nothing to stop a bullet.
I give them space, and hope if somthing does go south, i don't catch a stray bullet.
Eyes open, head on a swivel.

My son jokingly said i should raise my detecter to my shoulder upside down like a rocket launcher and yell like a terriost.....they would either run, shoot me, or call homeland security to arrest me....we all kmow how that would go!

The critters and i usually eye one but keep our distance.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes do not bother me at night they are just curious to what is in their space. I had a whole pack run a few feet from me once. They are always yipping in the mountains one sounds off and they all light up. I worry more about swinging over a snake and pissing it off than coyotes. Of course a black bear coming at you is worthy of a quick defense. Bottom line carry what ever makes you feel safe should the need arise day or night.Two legged predators are the worst.
Be safe and good luck in all your hunts.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lived 1/3 of my life in and around bush, lived 25 in the big city, and the rest a mix of everything. Give me an animal to contend with any day as they're not looking for trouble, and never had any problem. I've been attacked in the city by a two legged nut case, and have left hunting areas many times when being stalked.
Seen bears, coyotes, deer, moose, grizzly bears, and there's always a big thing called respecting one's space.
The weirdest encounter was I looked up one time a 10+ point buck was staring my down. Tilting his head back and forth looking at this strange creature that was wearing a set of Grey Ghost headphones. I glanced around and knowing a 6-8" tree wasn't going to help if this guy decides to rut with me over his herd. I noticed three or four does hanging around and I knew instantly that this guy was all business. So I just took off the headphones slowly and started to chat up with him, asking him if he was ok? It wasn't scared of me, nor was I, but I was thankful that he just walked away.
Now try that with a cracker in the park that what's to defend its turf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread