Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1671 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    You might want to consider a Rattler single ear headphone. You can keep one ear on the detecting and one for other sounds.

I have an unrestricted carry permit and the coyotes are far down on my list of concerns. We live in a wooded area and they are common (and visit our chickens routinely). Black bears as well - though they keep a distance. I have them on game camera images 250 yards from our back door.
    yeah I only rock one headphone, I like the idea of a set made with just one ear. My buddy has one he uses that I've been eyeballing. Bears are a problem here as well, out of anything around me I'm more worried about young male black bears and cougars. Though by the time you see a cougar, it's usually too late. Everyone says coyotes aren't a problem because statistics. To that i say not many people wander in the woods at night by themselves when yotes are active. That's why encounters with them are so low. They wouldn't try a damn thing if there's two of you. They are very intelligent animals.

us
    Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    663 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    I have many shotguns, I am not lugging one of the around with me. To heavy and cumbersome while detecting
    then a judge pistol
    DizzyDigger, Tpmetal and Obsessive like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    11027 times
    I've had yotes " visit" and approach close in the dark while tending to downed deer while awaiting my departure.
    Interesting for sure. A rifle shot can be like ringing a dinner bell and require checking for scent of blood , quick like.

Check out rabies in N.Y..
    Though I do not hunt there ,I do not expect to outrun a coyote here. Or other sick creatures.

Yote predation on fawns is natural , though not pretty; but yotes remain highly discriminated against here. Twenty doe and only one fawn last November on an informal survey of an area.
    Once fawns are thinned out ,attention turns to next convenient prey.
    They have not scored on any of my small dogs ,yet. Though they certainly have on those of others.
    When the coyote watch sign is on the door....a gun is at hand. Same as in the woods/ field.
    Last edited by releventchair; Sep 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Tpmetal and Duckshot like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    4589 times
    Prospecting
    Just carry a dozen fire crackers in your pocket..light one off now
    and then and the critters will usually stay away.

The Northeastern coyote is larger and more square jawed than the
    western version. Never heard of a wolf/coyote hybrid, but I guess
    it's certainly possible, and that hybrid critter would indeed be more
    aggressive.

If you seem them appearing to stalk you, your best move is to
    get aggressive yourself. Throw rocks, yell at them and swing
    your detector; let them know you mean business. One thing
    predators fear is being injured, as then they can not hunt to
    feed themselves.
    Tpmetal, FreeBirdTim and scruggs like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    663 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post

aggressive.

feed themselves.
    i'v had one of those hybrid coyotes run across my field before they are huge
    Tpmetal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7446 times
    Metal Detecting
    Firecrackers are illegal in NY so I carry a pistol. Go figure. ;-)
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1671 times

aggressive.

feed themselves.
    So back in the day wolves were eradicated from the area as in much of the united states. So later on they tried to reintroduce a breed of wolf from canada to replace the population. The red wolf or coy wolf I think. Problem is that all they did was breed with the coyotes for awhile then die off. Now we have weird big coyotes that can actually take on quite an orangish color, and they readily pack together and show other wolf like traits.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1671 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Firecrackers are illegal in NY so I carry a pistol. Go figure. ;-)
    Don't you just love these fun laws ny has?

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3421 times
    You should really keep your mouth shut if you have no idea what your talking about.
    Sorry, you don't tell me what to post here, got it? I do have experience with coyotes. I was walking up a steep hill one day and two were at the top. Probably more lurking in the bushes, but I only saw two of them. They glared at me, but immediately ran when I clapped my hands. I guess your problem is they sense the fear in you. They knew I wasn't afraid, so they didn't mess with me.

Just remember when you go into the woods that you're in THEIR home. The only reason they might attack is to protect their young, who may be hidden close by. Stop living your life in fear (with one hand on your gun) and you'll enjoy life a lot more.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1671 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Sorry, you don't tell me what to post here, got it? I do have experience with coyotes. I was walking up a steep hill one day and two were at the top. Probably more lurking in the bushes, but I only saw two of them. They glared at me, but immediately ran when I clapped my hands. I guess your problem is they sense the fear in you. They knew I wasn't afraid, so they didn't mess with me.

Just remember when you go into the woods that you're in THEIR home. The only reason they might attack is to protect their young, who may be hidden close by. Stop living your life in fear (with one hand on your gun) and you'll enjoy life a lot more.
    Then don't come at me implying I am uneducated and slinging rounds into the woods with no valid reason. And if your going to get on that tangent of people telling people what to do, don't tell me how to live my life or protect myself for that matter. Your coming off as a "know it all" who really doesn't know a thing about the situation I have here, not one bit. I've been in the same position where dangerous animals (including coyotes) do scare easily. This was not one of those times. Don't expect anything but disrespect when you come forth with it yourself....
    Last edited by Tpmetal; Sep 12, 2017 at 01:08 PM.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1671 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    I've had yotes " visit" and approach close in the dark while tending to downed deer while awaiting my departure.
    Interesting for sure. A rifle shot can be like ringing a dinner bell and require checking for scent of blood , quick like.

Check out rabies in N.Y..
    Though I do not hunt there ,I do not expect to outrun a coyote here. Or other sick creatures.

Yote predation on fawns is natural , though not pretty; but yotes remain highly discriminated against here. Twenty doe and only one fawn last November on an informal survey of an area.
    Once fawns are thinned out ,attention turns to next convenient prey.
    They have not scored on any of my small dogs ,yet. Though they certainly have on those of others.
    When the coyote watch sign is on the door....a gun is at hand. Same as in the woods/ field.
    Yeah rabies is around, I have had to put down several rabid animals in my life. No fun.
    releventchair likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    11027 times
    So back in the day wolves were eradicated from the area as in much of the united states. So later on they tried to reintroduce a breed of wolf from canada to replace the population. The red wolf or coy wolf I think. Problem is that all they did was breed with the coyotes for awhile then die off. Now we have weird big coyotes that can actually take on quite an orangish color, and they readily pack together and show other wolf like traits.
    We have "coydogs" much bigger than western coyotes that result from domestic dog crosses with coyotes.
    Odd as they will kill domestic dogs given the chance ,and if sized correctly and not outnumbered ,but will breed a female in heat too.
    Tpmetal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    11027 times
    Yeah rabies is around, I have had to put down several rabid animals in my life. No fun.
    No. Not fun. But what are you going to do when an afflicted animal won't back off ,or grabs one of your pets? They do not behave the same as a healthy specimen.
    There is distemper and a host of other problems as well.
    Tpmetal likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1671 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    We have "coydogs" much bigger than western coyotes that result from domestic dog crosses with coyotes.
    Odd as they will kill domestic dogs given the chance ,and if sized correctly and not outnumbered ,but will breed a female in heat too.
    Ive heard of this. Also they will lure domestic dogs away from homes to kill them. Act like they are playing with the dog and such and lead them off to the rest of the pack.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1963 times
    I only walk in parks and on beaches, and no need for guns.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links