Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree327Likes

Thread: Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1001 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    No. Not fun. But what are you going to do when an afflicted animal won't back off ,or grabs one of your pets? They do not behave the same as a healthy specimen.
    There is distemper and a host of other problems as well.
    Yeah they act like a totally different animal. Usually you won't be able to scare them away very easily, and often they actually turn on you. Crazy stuff. Can't imagine what a rabid human would be like.
    releventchair likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7031 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    I only walk in parks and on beaches, and no need for guns.
    I feel safer in the woods than the local parks. As for beaches - we're inland and I DEFINATELY see a justification to carry when walking along riverbanks and under bridges.

Coyotes at least would only kill for food.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, F75SE, Ace 400
    1841 times
    Metal Detecting
    Don't want to be mobbed by a pack of carnivores out in the woods at night, I would suggest the obvious - Don't go out in the woods at night.

Unless the blast scares them off, I would think a gun would be of limited use. If 1 is close enough to see it for a good shot, others will be swarming just as close. Why anyone would risk a scenario like that just to score an old buried horse shoe is a bit beyond me.
    That said, I'm not judging and really don't care, but honestly would have no sympathy if you were torn to shreds. You know the dangers going in better than anyone, you still do it so you take your chances.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Don't want to be mobbed by a pack of carnivores out in the woods at night, I would suggest the obvious - Don't go out in the woods at night.

Unless the blast scares them off, I would think a gun would be of limited use. If 1 is close enough to see it for a good shot, others will be swarming just as close. Why anyone would risk a scenario like that just to score an old buried horse shoe is a bit beyond me.
    That said, I'm not judging and really don't care, but honestly would have no sympathy if you were torn to shreds. You know the dangers going in better than anyone, you still do it so you take your chances.

Yarr me matey, I have an awful addiction that causes me to do stupid things haha. This was a pretty rare occurrence for how often I'm wandering in the woods at night. But I'll risk it all for that next silver or gold, knowing that I may very well one day be torn to shreds. Though with a hand gun I would have almost no worries. Most times a warning shot will scare them off. This is my go to move around the house if yelling doesn't scare them, and I have never had to go beyond it yet to needlessly kill an animal. Plus the only animal I wouldn't hear or smell coming around me is a cougar... In which case your 100 percent correct, a gun would probably be of no use. But they are pretty rare and I'll take those chances. I'll remember you told me so when it happens though!

us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    45 times
    Metal Detecting
    i bet your not afraid of the dark either...
    Tpmetal likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, F75SE, Ace 400
    1841 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Yarr me matey, I have an awful addiction that causes me to do stupid things haha. This was a pretty rare occurrence for how often I'm wandering in the woods at night. But I'll risk it all for that next silver or gold, knowing that I may very well one day be torn to shreds. Though with a hand gun I would have almost no worries. Most times a warning shot will scare them off. This is my go to move around the house if yelling doesn't scare them, and I have never had to go beyond it yet to needlessly kill an animal. Plus the only animal I wouldn't hear or smell coming around me is a cougar... In which case your 100 percent correct, a gun would probably be of no use. But they are pretty rare and I'll take those chances. I'll remember you told me so when it happens though!
    Well hey, some of my night time urban detecting is probably riskier than deep woods, we all take our chances sometimes and know that going off the beaten path has its rewards and risks.

There are some half assed woods around here but so far not much of a woods hunter.
    Not against the principle but seems to me would be very difficult to impossible to swing in most areas, and I think the mosquitoes alone would drive me away.
    Occasionally see a coyote or a fox, very skittish and timid around these parts from what I have seen.

Just by chance took this pic yesterday of an area I want to hunt, steep path leads to a small river that was the heart of the city in pioneering days. Used to be a stagecoach tavern somewhere back there, exact location I am still working on. Ground is still virgin, never been developed but I got swarmed by skeeters just peeping in from the edge so I cancelled my plans and detected a nearby field.
    No doubt some critters lurking in there, but nothing like you have to contend with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2350.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1493574  
    Last edited by Xraywolf; Sep 12, 2017 at 02:43 PM.
    gold boy likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Well hey, some of my night time urban detecting is probably riskier than deep woods, we all take our chances sometimes and know that going off the beaten path has its rewards and risks.
    I would more worried bout those humans in the city than the coyotes here for sure haha. Also I would deet up and hit that patch for sure, or wait for colder weather to kill the bugs. Sounds like a great spot
    Last edited by Tpmetal; Sep 12, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Msbeepbeep and AlienLifeForm like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8105 times
    We all have to pick and choose the right equipment and defences for our own situations, areas and skill sets.
    What is right for me may not work for you.

I will circle back around an area and wait till the drug dealers (usually armed illegally) leave before i pull in and get out of the truck, i have my keys around my neck and it has a panic button, which will do nothing to stop a bullet.
    I give them space, and hope if somthing does go south, i don't catch a stray bullet.
    Eyes open, head on a swivel.

My son jokingly said i should raise my detecter to my shoulder upside down like a rocket launcher and yell like a terriost.....they would either run, shoot me, or call homeland security to arrest me....we all kmow how that would go!

The critters and i usually eye one but keep our distance.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot
    6910 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Coyotes do not bother me at night they are just curious to what is in their space. I had a whole pack run a few feet from me once. They are always yipping in the mountains one sounds off and they all light up. I worry more about swinging over a snake and pissing it off than coyotes. Of course a black bear coming at you is worthy of a quick defense. Bottom line carry what ever makes you feel safe should the need arise day or night.Two legged predators are the worst.
    Be safe and good luck in all your hunts.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Feb 2009
    4920 times
    Lived 1/3 of my life in and around bush, lived 25 in the big city, and the rest a mix of everything. Give me an animal to contend with any day as they're not looking for trouble, and never had any problem. I've been attacked in the city by a two legged nut case, and have left hunting areas many times when being stalked.
    Seen bears, coyotes, deer, moose, grizzly bears, and there's always a big thing called respecting one's space.
    The weirdest encounter was I looked up one time a 10+ point buck was staring my down. Tilting his head back and forth looking at this strange creature that was wearing a set of Grey Ghost headphones. I glanced around and knowing a 6-8" tree wasn't going to help if this guy decides to rut with me over his herd. I noticed three or four does hanging around and I knew instantly that this guy was all business. So I just took off the headphones slowly and started to chat up with him, asking him if he was ok? It wasn't scared of me, nor was I, but I was thankful that he just walked away.
    Now try that with a cracker in the park that what's to defend its turf.
    Tpmetal and DizzyDigger like this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Honey Brook, PA
    Garrett AT Pro, Pinpointer Pro AT, Master Hunter Groundhog ADS
    52 times

Rattler

Quote Originally Posted by Tedyoh View Post
    I had one come within 20 yards of me last year, he was hunting downwind and walked right up on me, I drew and whistled, he lifted his head really really slow, looked at me and took off....also almost stepped on two 48"+ Timber Rattle snakes 2 years ago in PA...CCP I feel is a must, especially in the backwoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's really good advice and woke me up. I generally DO carry at least one sidearm most every place I go (and needed it once in Philly about 20 years ago, yet I rarely carry when detecting in my back woodlot. However, once when sitting on my back patio enjoying a cigar I noticed a diamondback rattler right under my chair! I jumped up and went in the house, told my daughter I was trying to figure a way to carry it up in the woods, but she, who had much more experience with snakes than I at the horse stable where she worked, told me they've tried that and the snakes always come back. So I grabbed a pistol and dispatched it.
    Honest Samuel, Tpmetal and T.C. like this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Honey Brook, PA
    52 times
    I've been putting off my pistol permit/concealed carry for a very long time now. Mostly due to cost. Thinking I might have to bite the bullet though and go for it.
    $20 for 5 years in PA.
    Tpmetal likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    I feel safer in the woods than the local parks. As for beaches - we're inland and I DEFINATELY see a justification to carry when walking along riverbanks and under bridges.

Coyotes at least would only kill for food.
    And we are free food.
    Tpmetal likes this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Honey Brook, PA
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada
    We had a hunter in PA attacked by a coyote a couple years ago. PA Coyotes have bred with wolves and are much larger than western Coyotes.That said I have only seen road kils.
    Tpmetal and Medina Joe like this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Honey Brook, PA
    52 times
    We got bears, some of the biggest coyotes in the country, cougars, occasionally theres panther sightings, bob cats. All sorts of stuff that can potentially mess with you. This is the 3rd time in my life I've been hunted by coyotes. You can tell they are hunting you because they come around your flanks quietly yipping to each other while one makes a lot of noise in front of you to distract you. That way the others can check you out. You never worry about the one howling, it is his 10 friends checking you out in the bushes right next to you that you have to worry about.
    This is certainly how they hunt dogs. My German Shepherd female is fearless and the epitome of the Alpha female and I'm sure could take out any two coyotes but not a pack like this. She did however take on a huge 350 lb. black bear, terrorized and treed it!
    Tpmetal likes this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links