6302020.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 319

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Its OK for a beginner.When I went to Alaska.....my minelab went to Seattle and I was stuck without a metal detector.The nearest store had only the one you have It worked just fine....just be gentle with it...... I was a little rough and broke the pole tightener.

P.S your coil is on wrong...turn it .

RD

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

this is a photo I found on the internet, I do have my coil the other way.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type detector will find plenty of coins and provide lots of enjoyment. Good luck.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Yeah, don't let those little detectors fool ya... I started the hobby using one very similar to that. It was my nephews detector and when he first received it we couldn't hardly find anything with it, but after a bit of practice, and a set of headphones hooked up to it, we were able to detect dimes at around 6" to 7" inches down... Found quite a bit of silver with it also...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you are having fun. That's what it is all about, happy hunting.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
as a radioshack/micronta metal detector owner i'll say get out there and use it!

i started with an older model than that. i still have it. when i had to send my coinstrike in for service i found myself getting the itch and had no MD'er to scratch that itch with. i dug out the radioshack detector and found a bunch of clad that day. no problem.

yeah, its not as sexy as the kilobuck detectors but you can learn alot using it and you will find goodies.

it dont take long to find $100 in clad if you hit the playgrounds on a regular basis. if you call around your local radioshack stores, you may be able to get clearance deal on a better model thats been discontinued. metal detectors arent fast sellers and radioshack marks stuff down below cost to get rid of it once its discontinued.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
re-tek said:
as a radioshack/micronta metal detector owner i'll say get out there and use it!

i started with an older model than that. i still have it. when i had to send my coinstrike in for service i found myself getting the itch and had no MD'er to scratch that itch with. i dug out the radioshack detector and found a bunch of clad that day. no problem.

yeah, its not as sexy as the kilobuck detectors but you can learn alot using it and you will find goodies.

it dont take long to find $100 in clad if you hit the playgrounds on a regular basis. if you call around your local radioshack stores, you may be able to get clearance deal on a better model thats been discontinued. metal detectors arent fast sellers and radioshack marks stuff down below cost to get rid of it once its discontinued.

yep same here. I may not have found much with it but it did get me started and when I had the opportunity to upgrade, I did. I hope when that time comes for you, boojagirl, you think it is worth upgrading. HH,
Donny

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I don't have much time detecting probably under 150 hours but the only gold I have found to date is a men's wedding band with a cheap radio shack detector similar to yours and in wet sand to boot.

Any detector that gets you out there on the hunt is a good enough detector. In fact if you are considering an upgrade I would not bother until you have 700 bucks or more to invest. IMO the detector you have will perform just as well as any other low to mid range detector you could buy. Yours just has less bells and whistles and the novelty of the bells and whistles wares off pretty fast any way.

Even the guys with the mega bucks machines are still digging just about every decent signal that comes along and will end up with just as many pull tabs that you will find with your machine. Well....maybe they will find a few more pull tabs but they did spend more money ;D In fact bench test and make sure your not discriminating out pull tabs beacause this is your gold range also. No detector no matter how expensive will keep you from having to dig some junk.

Have fun with it this is a wonderful hobby.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I started out with one of those but not that sophisticated. Twenty-six years ago Radio Shack detectors were not all that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions