Banned from metal detecting...

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
went camping at my favorite state park for a few days this week. Metal detected a bit, pulled up alot of clad, but on my 2nd day I was just burying one of my holes when one of the rangers came up to.

He asked me what i'd found, i showed him, he took a seconds pause then asked if i had the park managers permission to metal detect.

I know the rules, i read everything about metal detecting state parks but I have been metal detecting at this park every summer for the past 8 years and not once has any one said anything to me.

So...I said i did not and he took another seconds pause...he said to me that he would consider giving me permission to metal detect there still but only at the beach...The beach...probably 1/4th the length of a football field...nothing but trash there. I said whatever and went back to my campsite...

next day i looked at the park store and there was a sign posted on the door that read "Metal Detecting is Prohibited in this State Park and Legal Action Will Be Taken..."

So I figure for 8 years they've been watching me pull up so much money from their soil that they're going to stop me and wait for the end of the season and go out with their own metal detectors...Well that's my dad's explanation.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"I know the rules, i read everything about
metal detecting state parks."

Do the rules say you need permission?

OP
OP
Stormin Norman

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Yeah, i need permission from the manager, If i find anything of value over 5 dollars i must report AND GIVE it to a park official...those are the basic rules i found...but I had permission from quiet a few people that worked there till the new guy took over after the last manager left from a stroke

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"i need permission from the manager"

Sounds like you did not follow the regulations,
and caused a sign to go up banning everyone.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Mass. State parks tell me it's prohibited on state property! The managers should not have discression, it should be either it's allowed or not.

OP
OP
Stormin Norman

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
"i need permission from the manager"

Sounds like you did not follow the regulations,
and caused a sign to go up banning everyone.

Banning everyone? Who else in the great state of New Hampshire has ever metal detected there aside from me? I seriously doubt anyone else is upset

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know in ohio it seems it is the same way..
You have to have a permit and most generally you can only hunt the beaches....
I would think if it has been banned..that would come from higher up than a manager.

notanothertodd

Aug 11, 2007
Probably another lib taking away everyones rights away instead of punishing the offender. Even if ya did break the so called law its Dumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread