OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
google it

I have many many times and all kinds of sites come up to type in letters or symbols. Haven't found any where I am able to actually speak with a person and send pictures.
Will try the museums next and maybe they can forward me to some experts in this field.........

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The University of Pennsylvania has a large Egyptology collection (I was astonished how much of Egypt they have relocated).

You might try contacting David Silverman in their antiquities dept & museum curator.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The University of Pennsylvania has a large Egyptology collection (I was astonished how much of Egypt they have relocated).

You might try contacting David Silverman in their antiquities dept & museum curator.

Thanks so much Charlie...........Excellent contact. I'm waiting for the medal to arrive and will contact them with pictures..I'm sure if they are not able to help
they will know who to point me to.......................Thanks again..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I cannot find any sites or experts online that are able to translate Egyptian Hieroglyphics.
Does anyone here know of any that you can direct me to? Thanks..................

Have you been in Egypt lately, where you spotted some hieroglyphics ? Or do you think you've seen Egyptian hieroglyphics in Canada ?

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you been in Egypt lately, where you spotted some hieroglyphics ? Or do you think you've seen Egyptian hieroglyphics in Canada ?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)

Thanks so much Charlie...........Excellent contact. I'm waiting for the medal to arrive and will contact them with pictures..I'm sure if they are not able to help
they will know who to point me to.......................Thanks again..

Tom_in_CA..........I am waiting for a medal I bought that has hieroglyphics. Will post pictures after I receive it...

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys, sorry, I keep preaching about posting links, but I had to in this case
Very sorry

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys, sorry, I keep preaching about posting links, but I had to in this case
Very sorry

Don't be sorry, appreciate the link and I'm glad you did as this is what most are like. I have looked at 100's and 100's of Egyptian tokens, medals, amulets, pendants, souvenirs, trinkets, reproductions etc and have not come across any that are the same as this medal. Could be I have not looked in the right place.....The attached picture is of the reverse. If anyone knows what this is please comment........................

Anubis 1.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Looks like modern costume jewelry . To do things with retro-designs is fashionable for key chains, good luck charms, etc...

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like modern costume jewelry . To do things with retro-designs is fashionable for key chains, good luck charms, etc...

I've looked at those also Tom. This medal appears by the pictures to be crudely made however I have been fooled by pictures before. I hoping to receive it this
week and will post better pictures for opinions. Thanks for your input..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received the medal and I'm still at a loss of what this is. Looks like it may be a small plaque or something along those lines. All thoughts welcome.
Both Queen Nefertiti and Anubis are roughly cut out and placed on top of the medal as shown..

Egypt Medal C.jpg ..... Egypt Nef Obv pair.jpg ..... Egypt Anubis Pair.jpg ..... Egypt Mark Stamped.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Anubis side has him facing a very simplified carouche of Queen Nefertiti

NefertitiCartouche.jpg

And the obverse is the queen as based on the bust in the National Museum in Berlin, Germany.

nefertiti-bust.jpg

As to the token? Maybe a souvenir from Egypt or a museum. I'm thinking 20th century.

Anubis ain't got no feet. No proper Egyptian would dare insult the god of the afterlife.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charlie for the info...It is the picture angle and hard to tell but Anubis has little feet (as you say cannot insult the gods).
The medal was plated and now most is peeling off. There is a lot of grit and some oxidation suggesting some age. Anubis was crudely
cut and placed on top of the reverse side. Almost appears to be done by hand. The stamped mark on both sides look like it was
applied after the medal was made.

I'm thinking alone the same lines that is some trinket or souvenir, just have to find another to confirm. Will contact your lead provided and
some other museums as they may know.................

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my little mystery is solved. Looks like a little medal plaque that would go on furniture and was taken off and the cut outs of Queen Nefertiti and Anubis were added
to the plaque...Another one for the grandson's collection...

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Anubus is not carved into the amulet he is applied to the surface?

After watching a few documentaries on how many artifacts are "Faked",
in the Middle east, I don't have much faith in a true antiquity.
Even museums have fakes and forgeries.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anubus is not carved into the amulet he is applied to the surface?

After watching a few documentaries on how many artifacts are "Faked",
in the Middle east, I don't have much faith in a true antiquity.
Even museums have fakes and forgeries.

That's exactly right Chiltepin. Both obverse & reverse the figures are applied to the surface. For a couple of bucks it's a good conversation piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions