Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We, the little wife and I, were out in the woods yesterday as we hunted around for anything good. We had gotten separated as she headed up an old logging road. The next thing I know, she is walking back with a long branch, holding it off to the side. I can see something black at the bottom of the limb and realized that she had a tarantula on it. Now, this is the woman that freaks out majorly when the dead shell of a june bug is on her or near her. She almost had a melt down when a grand daddy longlegs was on her hair a week ago. But, twice she brings me a small foam coffee cup with a blackwidow in it for me to verify that it was in fact a blackwidow. She was extremely proud of herself as she held it out away from her leg. I asked if she had taken a picture of it but she had left her phone in the truck so I gave her mine. She took this picture and also a nice video of it crawling through the weeds and grass. We tried numerous times to down load the video but it would never do it, so it is what it is. This is the time of the year that the mature males go roaming in search of a mate, I call it the suicide walk as many get eaten sometimes before, sometimes after their moment of romance. We tend to see them walking everywhere, including across the roads. While they can be bad news for their prey, I have never been bitten by one. I had one in a fruit jar one time and placed a skink lizard in with it over night. The next morning, all that was left of the lizard was a tightly rolled up ball of skin about the size of a marble. Their venom breaks down everything and they wait and drink it like a power drink. As a kid, my cousin and I would turn over every board, rock or anything else as we gathered up everything that we could find. This usually included snakes, lizards, tarantulas, and scorpions, all in a couple of buckets. The scorpions were relieved of their stingers, their stings were pretty rough. Of course the doors to house were locked to keep us out (and our prizes). Eventually we would be forced to take them all out far away from the house and turned loose. Today, the kids play with electronics, no imagination! DL

Attachments

• 20171007_133429.jpg
    20171007_133429.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 171

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
whoa that is a :censored:big spider

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Our male tarantulas are all black, females tan to brown.
Watching a tarantula hawk drag one to its burrow is
Quite the show.

Wife was scorpion stung twice after moving into our house
Bark scorpions are nasty, first year I hunted them killed
95. Found a strange scorpion, found out it was a new species
Discovered in my area by the U of A 2 months earlier.

Oh and the desert hairy scorpion is as big as your hand.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad I live far enough north they come up this way, Black Widow, Brown Recluse are the only ones that will mess with us.

Travelling in the outback we encountered a Huntsman that crawled into the car, I was ready to touch the station wagon and hitch hike to Darwin. Still grosses me out thinking about some hairy thing the size of my wife's hand crawling around in the car.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our male tarantulas are all black, females tan to brown.
Watching a tarantula hawk drag one to its burrow is
Quite the show.

Wife was scorpion stung twice after moving into our house
Bark scorpions are nasty, first year I hunted them killed
95. Found a strange scorpion, found out it was a new species
Discovered in my area by the U of A 2 months earlier.

Oh and the desert hairy scorpion is as big as your hand.

one year we moved into an old two story farm house, I quickly began killing brown recluses. So I hunted them also, sitting in a chair after it got really dark and then searched everywhere with a flashlight and a fly swatter. They would be everywhere because they hunt their prey, I just had to be fast enough to kill them. later I began lifting pictures hanging on the wall and finding them. I didn't keep count but would kill several every night. I still do this even in my current house just as a precaution and not every night. many spiders and scorpions travel in search of food and stay hidden until darkness to com out to hunt. they prefer to hide in dark places, including shoes, under beds, behind things like pictures, clothes in closets etc. a person could easily get paranoid worrying about them. I have been bitten twice by recluses or fiddlebacks as we call them. my daughter was bitten by a blackwidow about 7 years ago and still has lingering problems. Recluse bites can turn into large decaying ulcers unless treated. we do kill a scorpion or two in the house every year or so, usually they end up in a tub or a sink and can't get out.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a few years back we were visiting some friends near hamilton lake? ( actually I think it was a state park nearby)
after spending the day on the lake, we went up to the restroom and I saw a tarantula next to a curb! How come no one told me there were those in arkansas?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a few years back we were visiting some friends near hamilton lake? ( actually I think it was a state park nearby)
after spending the day on the lake, we went up to the restroom and I saw a tarantula next to a curb! How come no one told me there were those in arkansas?

probably didn't want to freak you out

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nah, but seeing one as it got dark didn't at all!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
no the bad thing if you are in the bed and one crawls up your leg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the spider or the mermaid?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used to throw bugs into the garden spider whp lived in our bush. That spider was fast!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, being jeff-gordon, me thinks mermaid

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, you ain't no mermaid. Does it count that I killed a small black widow in my kitchen this past week? Brought it inside with a bucket of relics. Then had the pest control people out Friday, so don't expect to see any more.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was send to basic training in Texas for the Air Force, we had these spiders, but, I never run into one.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was send to basic training in Texas for the Air Force, we had these spiders, but, I never run into one.

I remember bivouacked in Texas and the night marches. When an explosive went off we were to dive off the road into the bush.
I never what critter might be in South Texas but I was fairly sure it wouldn't be friendly.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the scorpions at Parker glow under black light. Its fun to go down to the river at night and wave the black light and see lime green glowing ones all over the place.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
All of the scorpions at Parker glow under black light. Its fun to go down to the river at night and wave the black light and see lime green glowing ones all over the place.

The scary ones are the females carrying the little ones on her back only the claws glow and a bit of green on the sides.

I tell my wife every one of them I kill, cant Breed anymore!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread