Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible thing. Daniel Hohs was a triathlete who had been diagnosed as bi-polar early in life. He got into endurance sports and claimed that saved his life. Saturday he was hiking near Golden, Colorado, about a mile and a half up the trail and was bitten on the ankle by a four foot rattlesnake, probably a western diamondback. He died a little while after that. An outstanding individual. Very unusual to die from a rattlesnake bite, and I think he's the only one in the nation so far this year. They called 911 and the first responders had to hike up to him. There were people with him, and even an off-duty doctor tending to him. Maybe the snake got a really good bite. Generally a snake of this size will just hit quick and maybe not even inject venom. I suspect he was one of those people whose system just had a very severe reaction to the venom. Ran into him in passing one time, didn't know anything about his background, and recognized his picture on the news. Nice guy, sorry to see him gone.

Attachments

• 10-10aaa.png
    10-10aaa.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 103

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad to hear about. We were attending a wedding reception up Golden Gate State park and passed by the situation. Didn't know what was go in on untill the next day. I grew up in Golden and remember running into a few. The people that use the trails now has increased. He sounds like an amazing individual.

Dan Hohs Dies of Rattlesnake Bite in Golden | Westword

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pitiful. Sure have to constantly scan the ground ahead of you when you're in their territory, especially this time of year.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad to hear this.
Most likely was a artery or vein and not a muscle injection, neurotoxin .
Result would have been a heart attack.
Golfers get bit here all the time, step into the rough(desert) bam.
We had a Beauty pageant contestant bit at Ventana Canyon resort a few years back.
She didn't die but cost her abot $250,000 in anti-venom and hospital bills.

Anti-venom here is about $15,000 a dose.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is very sad.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He just really shouldn't have died. I'm not familiar with what artery or major vein is in the ankle area, I'm sure there is. Maybe he stepped on the snake and got tangled up, the snake really got riled up, and felt it was in serious danger, so it latched on good and pumped. There were people there and they kept him calm, knew what to do for snakebite, and it took a while to get him to help. It wouldn't have been pretty and maybe would have lost a limb, but you wouldn't think death. We'll hear more in the days ahead, and I'm thinking it is something to do with his general chemistry, or however you would call that.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sad stuff man, I am fortunate enough to have never taken a bite although while test panning a wash out in Wickenburg AZ I had one come out of a hole in the side of the wash close enough to kiss me on the forehead. Scared the living crap outta me.

Sad to see someone with the motivation to take on mental illness like that taken out in such a way.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When in snake country take every precaution, you only have one life on this earth.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sad story to hear about.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
He just really shouldn't have died. I'm not familiar with what artery or major vein is in the ankle area, I'm sure there is. Maybe he stepped on the snake and got tangled up, the snake really got riled up, and felt it was in serious danger, so it latched on good and pumped. There were people there and they kept him calm, knew what to do for snakebite, and it took a while to get him to help. It wouldn't have been pretty and maybe would have lost a limb, but you wouldn't think death. We'll hear more in the days ahead, and I'm thinking it is something to do with his general chemistry, or however you would call that.

Just read this article on a new snake bite treatment developed by the U of A college of medicine.

Very fast blood clotting leads to heart attack and stroke.

Short article link:

https://news.azpm.org/p/news-articles/2017/10/10/118062-ua-researcher-develops-snake-bite-treatment/?google_editors_picks=true

Best part is it might work for many different snakes.

Used on humans, dogs, cats, horses etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting article Chiltepin, and hope they get that developed. I looked up snake bite deaths and it seems like more people die being bitten by exotic snakes people keep as pets. And an aside, I like that recipe you have there and I'm gonna try that to impress Maria. Everybody says I'm a good cook, but they add 'on an open fire when camping'. This may turn my reputation around, haha!

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this is why I don't care how stupid I look or how awkward... Snake gators when in snake country. Unfortunate loss of life.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always sad to see a young person die

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad. You have to stay calm no matter what and get out get help. Keep the heart rate low if possible. He might have been hit in a main artery or been allergic somehow. First I have heard in a long time in the USA.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So sad to hear of the passing of this young man in such a way after accomplishing so much. God's Speed to this young man, his family, and friends.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate. I was bitten by a pygmy rattle snake when I was 13. I was bitten on the hand while trying to catch it ( my dumb move). I was able to recover without loosing any body parts and although it didnt kill me, it was one of the worst experiences in my life. It took nearly a year to recover 100%. Even a 4 foot western diamond back can release a massive dose. Sorry to here this. Im sure he will be missed by many. My condolences.
Bart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions