...does this happen everywhere?

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does happen everywhere, it takes practice, but you can use this to your advantage. I have taken quite a few deer over the years by walking and making no effort to conceal my movement. The key is when you do come upon deer you have to keep moving and not make eye contact. Yes this means taking the shot while you are walking, soon as you stop the gig is up and they will bust outta there.
Also reminds me of once I was hunting out on one of the river Islands, hadn't see anything all day, decided to leave early. Got in my boat, started it, pulled the anchor and chain in, dropped it in the boat, got my spot light out of the the storage box, plugged it in and was using it to warm up my hands before I headed down the river, I look up and there on the bank 20 yards from the end of my boat stands the biggest most perfect 8 I have ever seen. Of course I had already cased my rifle :-(

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It is free, unless you are paying for a hunt and the processing? Then it would cost more than porterhouse
Will say nothings better than picking up free venison your own property, not a shot fired. Only cost me my time and the State police. Arrowed buck not claimed.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a great shooting range here that was recently shut down for environmental concerns and noise pollution. *sigh* But lets not get into that..

My tale is that at this particular range it was not uncommon to have a cease fire called out by the range master when several deer or turkey would come wandering in down range. All you could do was sit there and wait for them to clear the area while they grazed on like they didn't have a care in the world.

I recall at least two occasions where deer would wander into the area between the trap range and rifle range and no cease fire was called. Meanwhile everyone kept shooting and the deer just carried on like they knew what they were doing and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff all! I am going to make some adjustments the next time I venture into the woods...I don't want to be lugging my AT-PRO all season so am going to try a "stick" of some sort (walking slowly and making similar sounds on the ground). Who knows...it may have taken me 30+ years of hunting to realize one of the most obvious things.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may be onto something here. Hunters could disguise their rifles or bows as metal detectors allowing them to move in closer to the non suspecting deer. We have run across many deer here in Georgia too while metal detecting. Being cammo'd out, I like to see the deer in front of us freeze, facing us a ways off. When they do this I freeze, being still too. I like to watch them begin pawing the ground trying to make us move to check us out further.

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be onto something here. Hunters could disguise their rifles or bows as metal detectors allowing them to move in closer to the non suspecting deer. We have run across many deer here in Georgia too while metal detecting. Being cammo'd out, I like to see the deer in front of us freeze, facing us a ways off. When they do this I freeze, being still too. I like to watch them begin pawing the ground trying to make us move to check us out further.

My initial thought was: "I wonder what that deer is pawing at the ground for? ...a coin? ..a flat button? ...for gods sakes man don't ruin it with your hoof!"

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like seeing crows on a wire. Make the motion of swinging a shotgun at them and they flee in a hurry. Them not stupid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread