How many years have you spent "Searching" for that lost Treasure?

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a new member that I said I would help.
He wanted to "Learn" about treasure hunting. I have
spent a few days explaining about reading the
stories deciphering whats real and whats bogus.
Doing research on the stories using maps and
historical resources to help with locating sites
to investigate. How to stay legal using all of the
above.

I wanted to make a this thread to show how many
years that people spend on that "search" for Treasure.

I have spent close to 18 years of research,
visiting/investigating prospective areas looking
for "Lost Treasure".

How many years have you spent?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been chasing a specific hoard that was buried by an older friend for 6-7 years now. His failing memory hasn't helped. On the bright side, I have recently found a new clue as to the location and am awaiting moister conditions to take another shot at it. I think I may find it this time. That hoard has been my White Whale and it drives me crazy.

In a more general sense, I have been treasure hunting since before I started school. I was rockhounding when I was very young.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saved my money when I was 12 yrs old , sold night walkers at 1 cent each and bought my first detector, a 1970 compass detector for $40.00 from my uncle. That was 1971, I dug more pull tabs, nails and bottle caps with that old thing ! But found lots of coins to. Just turn it on and go, I even still have it-----been digging now for 46 yrs and man have these machines changed :icon_thumri------------- untitled compass.png

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
8 years to find where the people settled where live they may have buried some treasure or didn't never know

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always walked looking at the ground or surroundings and find things from coins to bills to toys, etc. As I got older I saw the early detectors and started with the cheap detector that just beeped and then the meter with the little 5 or 6" coil. Sold those and kept going up and got into the Garrett and White's detectors in the '90s and after some time off due to work overload, came back and now with work and both my and my wife's health, just do not get out like I would like. I do research and have a friend who wants to hunt be he works as much so timing is difficult there. Guess it will happen when it is supposed to, the gear is ready to go. Rough guess, 35-40 years, as I got the want to find the things people hid and more than just what I found on the surface while looking down.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I started with a 1976 Compass that was my Dad's thirty two years ago. I now have a Minelab CTX3030 and a Excaliber2. I probably average 12 outings a year. The fun is in the hunt!

Boot jack

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Whites coinmaster
Whites treasure master
Whites QXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taking the beeper for walks sence 1982 ..... :metaldetector:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural and lost treasure since i was little, hidden treasure since 1990, when i got a detector.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure comes in all shapes and sizes. I would imagine the 1st treasures hunted would have been Easter eggs in the yard as a child which evolved into looking for pop bottles that could be exchanged for candy or cash age 4 to 12 (2 cents a bottle back then). Other sources of treasure were change return trays in vending machines and pay phones.

At 12 I began going through wrecked cars and junker trade-ins behind the local Ford dealership looking for spare change in the consoles, glove boxes and under the seats, especially the rear seat. It evolved into searching through old houses and out buildings set for demolition. I would even lift porch boards and crawl under the structures looking for bottles from the construction crew from the mid to late 1800's. Many a day I would walk along the canal looking for bottles from old trash piles.

Twice a year our town had a special trash pick-up where you could put anything out. I would drag home what I considered treasure from furniture to doors and other pieces of wood so we could build a clubhouse. My mom gave me the name of Sanford after the Sanford and Son TV series. I have always been drawn to looking through other peoples trash. I found many old documents that I donated to the local historical society when it was formed back in 1976. At a young age finding a playboy magazine in someones trash was true treasure.

Once I hit puberty, my definition of treasure evolved to the other sex and partying. Then came marriage and the treasures changed to making family memories. My treasure hunting was confined to going to yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, and the occasional estate auction.

Back in the early 2000's, while my full time job was still being a soldier I picked up a part time job as a handyman for a retired teacher to earn money so I could begin to buy computer parts. I built a couple dozen computers and sold them to people who could not afford a new one. Back then the average price of a computer was $1,200. I sold them from $125 to $400 depending on the system specs. I would also buy sell parts on ebay back when it was profitable.

I did get back into curb picking for a while and would clean and repair my finds and have the occasional yard sale. Back in 2004 I was really into this since I had a few months of terminal leave when I was retiring from the Army. I made two grand that summer selling other peoples stuff. I averaged about $125 per day in sales that year.

Now that the kids have all moved out I tried fishing as a hobby, it lasted for a couple years, but in 2014 I began to swing the coil and have since been bitten hard with the detecting bug.

I have never had any good leads on caches or other large treasures, but I am content on securing permissions to dig old coins, cool relics, and maybe a ring or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread