Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyways, at the transfer station I go to, you are allowed to grab stuff from certain areas. Today I found 4 late 1950's and early 1960's Fisher Price toys. I also saw a really cool old White's Goldmaster, it looks to be from the 1960's. The issue is, when I removed the back to get to the battery pack, which is a pack filled with a bunch of normal AA, I noticed that the whole battery area is completely oxidized from the old batteries never being removed. I am not even sure how I would remove the pack, as it is pretty bad. I hope to take photos soon of the area, after charging my camera. Is this fixable, or just a cool display piece? It has an extra, bigger, coil. Also, I was able to also find a nice RC boat, which may be fun to use with the family. I also found a huge 1984 Corvette poster, from the dealership, with a copyright date of 1983.

DSC_0202.JPG DSC_0204.JPG DSC_0205.JPG

I also hope that the metal detector wasn't exposed to the elements for too long, it hasn't rained here since I checked over the weekend when throwing stuff away and didn't see it.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The battery packs are stuck from all the oxidation. Also, this metal detector is a White's Goldmaster TR-66, from 1974. I'm sure that this brings back memories for some people :thumbsup:.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey it will make a good wall hanger in your man-cave.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey that's the first detector we owned in the family, AH! What memories, my father traded his beloved 30-06 hunting rifle and $150 for the brand new Gold Master Detector. Took two packs of AA for the total of 14 batteries, 8 in one & 6 in the other. We really had a great time as we were the first to own a machine so it was a cake walk of cherry picking the local sites. Relic hunting we learned that if a person turned it to the mineral setting it buzzed continuously until we went over a target, way more depth was obtained. We wore out the head so we made coil covers out of ice-cream pail lids for the new replacement coil.Thanks for the great memories from so long ago.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey that's the first detector we owned in the family, AH! What memories, my father traded his beloved 30-06 hunting rifle and $150 for the brand new Gold Master Detector. Took two packs of AA for the total of 14 batteries, 8 in one & 6 in the other. We really had a great time as we were the first to own a machine so it was a cake walk of cherry picking the local sites. Relic hunting we learned that if a person turned it to the mineral setting it buzzed continuously until we went over a target, way more depth was obtained. We wore out the head so we made coil covers out of ice-cream pail lids for the new replacement coil.Thanks for the great memories from so long ago.

I had a great time reading this post, amazing to see how much metal detectors have changed in the past 40+ years. How long battery life did it have, and depth? It would be fun to see how it compares to an entry level metal detector of today. I am happy that I was able to bring back some old metal detecting memories. :icon_thumright:

Also, I have a 1968 issue of Coinage magazine, it feature many metal detecting advertisements. No wonder no one finds silver at schools or parks, it was all metal detected in the 1960's and '70's! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a BFO around because I like them. I have repaired several, but somebody always comes along makes an offer I can't refuse. The old machines are heavy, eat batteries, and will dig you to death, but for some reason they are fun. You have nothing to loose at making an attempt to resurrect that old TR machine. I would say as long as the variable tuning capacitor, which seem crazy expensive now, isn't messed up from the leaking batteries it might be worth the effort. Be aware that all the electrolytic caps are probably shot out and need replacing. Sounds like a fun project and a learning experience no matter how the attempt turns out. Go for it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a great time reading this post, amazing to see how much metal detectors have changed in the past 40+ years. How long battery life did it have, and depth? It would be fun to see how it compares to an entry level metal detector of today. I am happy that I was able to bring back some old metal detecting memories. :icon_thumright:

Also, I have a 1968 issue of Coinage magazine, it feature many metal detecting advertisements. No wonder no one finds silver at schools or parks, it was all metal detected in the 1960's and '70's! :laughing7:

On the beach it sucked bad I remember, 1-2" for pennies on a good day. In the school, play grounds, parks, churches, every lawn we could get through the gate we got coins down to 4-5" at most. But the silvers were changed over in /68 so it was mostly silver and the clad sucked big time. In the mid 70's and the CoinMaster series were in style it was a hunting completion between 6 family members sometimes, and a dozen plus silvers was not uncommon for a persons days hunt.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
For fun I just checked my June 1968 copy of Coinage magazine that I got from a friend, inside there are 9 metal detecting ads. There is also one for a Gold Master 66T, which is almost identical to mine. It even has the same extra coil.

IMG-20171017-WA0004.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For fun I just checked my June 1968 copy of Coinage magazine that I got from a friend, inside there are 9 metal detecting ads. There is also one for a Gold Master 66T, which is almost identical to mine. It even has the same extra coil.

View attachment 1505856

So it's my 50th anniversary then this year-COOL!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I am decorating my home's office with interesting vintage and antique items. I always keep my eyes out for old bottles, toys, maps, electronics, and anything else that pops out. I already have over 100 Victorian bottles that I dug, and almost one whole wall of the office is made of 1950's Apple Crates (from the people who lived here in the 1980's I believe, though they could be put there in the 1950's, as they are all from local farms), acting as shelves for them and other smaller items, with a big window in the middle of the wall. The other walls and ceiling are made of many dark brown exposed beams and posts (with rosehead nails from the 1700's sticking out of some of them), thick textured plaster, and big dormer windows letting in light on the big wall. Right now I am using it mainly for storage, for the printer, and backup desktop computer. After I finish filling it with items, I hope to have looking almost like a museum of various old things, and my metal detecting finds. The metal detector will certainly blend in!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truly best way to fix that is to mount it to a nice mahogany board, one about 2" thick with a live edge with a lacquer finish. Then mount that to the wall of your cave!:occasion14:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The truly best way to fix that is to mount it to a nice mahogany board, one about 2" thick with a live edge with a lacquer finish. Then mount that to the wall of your cave!:occasion14:

Thanks for the idea, I will probably end up doing something like that. I removed the battery packs, 14 batteries that look to be from the late 1970's or early '80s. The contacts are ruined, but everything else seems to be in good shape. Sometimes these old batteries create a huge mess, like many of these ones, bursting open across the side. Others hold up perfectly after 40 years. I bought a 1970's Polaroid camera, and went to check for batteries, and there were two early 1980's energizer batteries that look like they were put in there yesterday. The camera still even turned on. I even had one of them running a clock for a few months, until I decided that I didn't want to drain a battery that still works after 35 years.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That detector is really nice. I would have that on the wall in my "Fort". My wife said, How nice, you have your own Man Cave. I told HER that it is not a Man Cave, that's like so immature, it's my FORT. Of course she looked at me and said, "What, are you like twelve?" I then announced to HER that she is no longer allowed to enter my FORT. Didn't work, she comes and goes as she pleases....................

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest, I would fix it and use it from time to time. I have both a 65-T and a 66-T Goldmaster and they are great if you have a good assortment of coils as I do. I have three coils for my' 65-T which is like new and five coils for the well used 66-T ranging from a 4 inch all the way up to a 24 inch and I believe the coils will interchange between to two metal detectors. Most folks that pick up these old metal detectors overlook the fact that they are both mineral and metal Detectors and are great for finding Black Sand deposits when searching for Gold. Don't know the history behind the 65-T but the 66-T was previously owned by a Geology and Gemology Professor that traveled the world and found a lot of Gold, Silver and other valuable items and precious rocks with the metal detector. When I purchased the 66-T from the Professor's daughter and grand daughter, they stated that he had dozens of burlap sacks and buckets full of Ore rocks and Gem specimens in host rocks and other stuff as well but they would not sell any of those.

Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAve you contacts Whites to see if there are any replacement battery packs available?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread