Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Complete plow share blade. Although, upon seeing what it was, in a pretty empty corn field, I left it.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A boat prop. Thought it was going to be a aluminum cans, it was In a field no where near a body of water, always my luck.

Last edited:

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old water meter cover plate, solid copper and 10 inches in diameter.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sheet of metal in my back yard, maybe four feet by four feet, in the early 80’s with my first detector. It was a big signal and it wasn’t more than a five or six inches inches down. I thought for sure I’d found a chest or something fabulous and ended up with rusty metal and a huge piece of the lawn to replace.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As a kid, with my first detector in the mid 1970s, with a Whites 66TR : In a field I got one of those old state of California highway signs for Hwy. 101. Heavy glazed baked plastic enamel on steel sign. It must have been several feeet across. And was in a shape (clover-leaf?) that had long since given way, in the early 1960s (?) to a new motto/shape .

I propped the thing next to a tree , thinking "this will be a cool whatzit for my backyard" . Intended to pick it up on my way out. But then forgot to pick it up.

Fast forward to the 1990s, and I was eating in a restaurant where the proprietor had decorated the interior with all sorts of old signs. He was a collector of old auto signs (gas, road signs, cola, etc...). I described the sign that I had found 20+ yrs. earlier as a kid. He said that they would fetch $700 or more if in decent shape. Apparently a collectible. And by now (another 20 yrs. later) it is no doubt worth even more. I kick myself for not remembering to hike it out.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of plow points, full ones at that. In england I've dug down a couple of feet for a point, thinking it might of been something else. :laughing7:
Kind of sucks when the site is 500+ft from the edge of the field. My promise to the permissions if I dig it, I'll remove it so it's a few trips back to the truck on some sites. Lots of sheet metal and large brass/copper trim off things. In the fields it's never really an issue digging large items, but in the bush it can be a pain.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A steel rim, the size of a barrel, lying flat, twelve inches down. I thought I had found "the hatch".

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A natural gas line. I was miles out in the woods. It was only a couple inches under ground. May not be the largest I found, but sure was the longest.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a big scale with the numbers going from 20 to 180 it was the type with the hook on the end and it would hang in the air

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lump of lead that was about 3' x 3' x 3' in the woods on the WWI Camp Hancock site near Augusta, GA. I didn't attempt recovery, but speculated as to scrap value with the guys I was digging with at the time. Nobody had any idea on how to get the lump out of the woods. Found an iron cannon barrel in the dredgings from Lake Clara Mear at Piedmont Park in downtown Atlanta around 1990?, had no idea how to retrieve it since metal detecting was outlawed in the park at the time, and probably still is. Also found a propane stove on the beach just North of the San Roman 1715 shipwreck site, I didn't uncover the whole unit once I realized what it was, but it did alert me to the fact that I was detecting in a deep sand area, and basically wasting my time detecting in that area.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
DSCF1477.JPG Would have to be these. Also started digging up what I think is a tractor, but gave up. What was I going to do with it:tongue3:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a stroller and a wagon wheel. The wheel was deep and took forever, also a parlor stove. The stroller is below the wagon wheel in the picture.

Attachments

• 1020170021a-2.jpg
    1020170021a-2.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 120

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Volkswagen from the early 60's. It had been dumped off in a canyon I guess. then later washed on down towards the river and over the years covered up. We dug enough around it to determine it was the whole car, but we left it there.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About four feet by six feet.

Horse drawn cultivator. Still sits in the pasture.

IM000740.JPG

Since then I check out the size before I start digging.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been told that size doesn't matter. :tongue3: My largest dug is a 4ft piece of chain.

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up the oven door to an old Franklin stove.As I unearthed it and started seeing letters and a handle my mind said safe ,I was a little disappointed as it was a very hard recovery.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A galvanized steel-mesh garbage can, about 3 feet high 1.5 feet wide burried 2+ feet under the sand. Big waste of time :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread