Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well trained dog is a better investment than any alarm system. The money you pay monthly for the alarm pays for the dog food. Theres no guarantee the cops will get to you in time from the call from the alarm company. That brings you to the self defense part of the question. If the intruder gets past your dog, then you need something thats accurate, safe, reliable and comfortable for both your wife and you to use.

Mossberg 500, with 18 barrell. Or a winchester 1300 defender. I prefer the winchester. Either way, put some tritium night sights on it and alternate shells with slugs and 00. keep it next to the bed.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.trojansecurities.com/

Not a big fan of self defense courses, a tactical offensive advantage is the key taught by real operators who can customize your needs down to the slightest detail. PERSEC and OPSEC is a lifestyle that is never too late to start.

I would say contact the folks in the link above at TSI, if you like I can intro you to them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they want you that bad they will get you no matter what you do. Not hard to take someone out if that is the intention.

I will take my chance with a firearm, I owned boxers for years, I still had a firearm for my home's self defense. I am never more than 3-5 seconds for a loaded firearm at home and 99.7% of the time I am armed when I am away from home, I carry everywhere I can legally carry with my conceal carry permit and that means from the local grocery store to church. In the state of Florida "No Guns" signs carry no weight of law as long as you leave if ordered to do so.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
We don’t even know who or what the poster is trying to defend himself from so it is hard to gauge what level or type of security initiatives would be required.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I will take my chance with a firearm, I owned boxers for years, I still had a firearm for my home's self defense. I am never more than 3-5 seconds for a loaded firearm at home and 99.7% of the time I am armed when I am away from home, I carry everywhere I can legally carry with my conceal carry permit and that means from the local grocery store to church. In the state of Florida "No Guns" signs carry no weight of law as long as you leave if ordered to do so.

What ever it takes to FEEL safe I guess.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you have to ask yourself "What would James Bond do?"

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the links, input and help. I will look into everything posted here and consider all of the suggestions.

My goal is to be better equipped in the event of a threat to my life or my wife's. This requires knowledge, continued training and whatever defense means within our capabilities it takes.

All replies are helpful in getting me to the goal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have an alarm system get one, my alarm system uses both land line and cell line to report alarms, has panic button and remote talk. Have several nanny cams as well that are motion sensors and record when activated.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chances are the armed robber is armed and dangerous. hes gona shoot you right in the face.

Wrong. Most burglars are sharp enough to know that an armed robbery will get you WAY more jail time than an unarmed break in.

"A gun in the hand is worth ten in the can"

And if he's gona (sic) shoot you in the face, kiss your butt goodbye. You won't have time to get your gun to play John Wayne. You'll be dead meat, partner...

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
or tell him you gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Tony Montana had plenty of security and we know what happened to him. Even his little friend couldn’t help him.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
"My wife is a bit skittish now as well as I” Skittish people with guns makes me nervous.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong. Most burglars are sharp enough to know that an armed robbery will get you WAY more jail time than an unarmed break in.

"A gun in the hand is worth ten in the can"

And if he's gona (sic) shoot you in the face, kiss your butt goodbye. You won't have time to get your gun to play John Wayne. You'll be dead meat, partner...

Wrong, according to FBI reports over 40% are armed, 38 % assaults and 60% of rapes occur during home invasion

( Home Invasion Statistics and Facts:

• According to a United States Department of Justice report:
    • 38% of assaults & 60% of rapes occur during home invasions.
    • 1 of every 5 homes will experience a break-in or burglary. That's over 2,000,000 homes!
  • According to Statistics Canada, there has been an average of 289,200 home invasions annually over the last 5 years.
  • Statistically, there are over 8,000 home burglaries per day in North America
  • According to Statistics U.S.A., there was an average of 3,600,000 home break-ins annually between 1994 and 2000. https://www.nationsearch.com/blog/home-invasion-statistics )

Home Invasion Statistics You Should Be Afraid Of
By Kim Pinnelli

Home invasions aren't always violent. 11% of burglars even remove a door or window while the occupants are home. The average loss is around $2,000 per home invasion.
The more aware you are, the better you can protect yourself. Read on to see how you could easily become a victim too.

How many home invasions are there in the U.S.?
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, 1.03 million home invasions occur each year.

What time of day do most burglaries occur?
Surprisingly, most burglaries occur between 10 AM and 3PM. Many homes are empty during this time while people are at work. Burglars know this and use it to their advantage. However, home invasions can occur any time of day or night.

How many homes are broken into each year?
3.7 million homes are broken into each year. That's 7 homes every minute.

HOME INVASION

What is home invasion?
Home invasion is the unlawful entry of someone's home. It usually involves some type of force. The person has the intent to commit a crime (whether he does or not). The legal occupant of the home may or may not be present.

How long is the sentence for home invasion?
Most states consider home invasion a felony. The general jail sentence can vary from 5 to 20 years. It depends on the degree of the home invasion. 1st degree is the worst. It usually involves the use of a weapon along with breaking and entering.

How long do you go to jail for burglary?
Burglars face similar jail time as those committing home invasion. The degree of the burglary and whether it's a misdemeanor or felony determines the jail time. Offenders can go to jail for 1 year to as much as 20 years. In addition, they pay hefty restitution fines.

BURGLARY

What is robbery versus burglary?
Burglary and robbery both involve a property. They both also describe some type of theft. Robbery occurs in a home while you are present. The criminal usually uses some type of force or threat. Burglary occurs when you are not home. The criminal unlawfully enters your home with the intent to steal something.
How many homes are robbed each year?
The DOJ reported 1 million burglaries occurred with people in the home. 27% of them became victim of a violent crime.

What are the chances of being robbed?
According to the FBI, you can expect 1 in every 36 homes to be robbed.

What percentage of robberies involve weapons?
The DOJ reported the use of weapons in a majority of robberies. 41% of robberies involved firearms and 7.8% included knives or other cutting devices. In addition, 42.5% used strong-arm tactics, whether verbal or physical.

What percentage of burglaries involved forcible entry?
Forcible entry occurs when someone enters a home with some type of force or weapon. Almost 58% of home invasions used some type of forcible entry. Almost 7% of the burglaries accounted for attempted forcible entry. The remaining were unlawful entries with no force.

What time of day does the most crime occur?
The most common time for crime by an adult to occur is at 10 PM. The most active time for adult criminals is between 8 PM and 12 PM. Juvenile criminals, on the other hand, are the most active between 3 and 4 PM. Juvenile criminals most active time is usually between 3 PM and 7 PM.

What percentage of invaded homes don't have anything taken?
Criminals don't get anything 55% of the time when the home is occupied. Non-occupied homes have a 75% chance of theft.

What rooms do offenders usually hit first?
A majority of offenders head straight to the master bedroom. Many homeowners leave their most valuable items in this room. The typical items include cash, jewelry, and weapons. In the master bedroom, they often head to the nightstand and closet first.

Do burglars return to the scene?
Unbelievably, you are more likely to be a burglary victim after being a victim once. Even if you aren't the victim, but a neighbor is victimized, your chances are higher. A burglar returns to the scene because he's already done the work. He knows the area so it takes less effort to get the job done.
GUNS

https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-invasion-statistics.html

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes you have to ask yourself "What would James Bond do?"

jsames.jpeg

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My home defense is my PX4 Storm 9mm that is quite accurate and smooth as butter to shoot. I prefer it to my Ruger revolver 38+p which is more of an up close and personal style firearm but is a pain to shoot accurately for me.
Home security definitely involves more than just having firearms. Be safe and alert and get the appropriate safe gun handling classes as needed. Best of luck on your choices and thank God we still have choices.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get statistics to support anything. Even your fears.

Some people prefer to live in LA-LA land too, others in reality. I am prepared to defend my family, my life, my home and my property with deadly force if needed as is my right.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
True but it isn't statistics that's going to try and rob and kill you.
Kill me? Why would anyone want to do that? I feel very safe where i live and in my travels. The people around me feel safe. I don’t worry about being robbed. It’s just stuff. But I must say back in the 80’s NYC was scary as hell. Riding the subways at night you had better be alert to your surroundings. Sometimes you would have to plan out what you were going to do just in case. If I could have carried a gun legally then I would have. Everyone would have. It was bad. Remember Bernie Getz… He was a nerdy guy accosted by some teens in the subway. He shot them all. Then He followed one of the guys to the subway platform where he collapsed. He looked at him and said,” You look OK. Here is another one.” and shot him again as he laied on on ground. The jury found him innocent on all counts except for having a gun with out a permit.. The city and the people were fed up with the rampant crime and would not convict him. The weapon the assailants had was a screw driver. So in comparison to those days , Things are real safe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting#Supporters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions