Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may ask yourself----

why the lack of recent finds from the 2 months of diggin' Woodstock, NY :dontknow:???

last week the Town of Woodstock Supervisor-- Bill McKenna--(a public figure), advised me that I could no longer hunt the trails, sports fields or any "manicured lawn" due to the risk of injury from falling in a hole.

this is after well over 500 holes and massive amounts of modern trash were removed from the Town DIRT :BangHead:--- that's right--- horrific damage done to DIRT :BangHead:

there are no holes--- just filled & STOMPED dig areas.

the Duty Sergeant of the Town PD says, even absent a local ordinance--- I must comply with the "demand"

my current mental state says I should take some video of the grounds that I dug and post it to the Town website or Facebook for the evidence that proves Mr. McKenna is a vapid, clueless, :censored::censored::censored::angry4::cussing::pain10::angry5:

there is no "slander" here _______________________JUST THE FACTS that puny political hacks can and will infringe on your "pursuit of happiness" and any other activity that "offends" them

GOD HELP US ALL

the Town will still allow use of narcotics in public, bums sleeping on benches along Tinker Street, drunks & dopers will leave their trash behind, AND______________ the "Hollyweirds" will be lauded for their "talent"--- ala Harvey

just my opinion---

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like i's time to go door knocking for permission. My best finds, with three exceptions, have all been on private property. Does your town bully wear a superhero outfit and ride an unicorn? Sometimes I think they see themselves that way.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes!! That's a bunch of bull....Guessing most of us have had the rug pulled out from under us somewhere or the other...but that spot has been awesome for you...GL..:occasion14:

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any idea as to how this came to be? Something must have happened to have this guy make a rule on no metal detecting.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would tell him that if he thinks his verbal law will stand up in court/ let er rip tater chip

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how I'd handle this meddling control freak instituting a "verbal" command to stop hunting. I am certain I would be PISSED!!! I would probably contact a lawyer to see what they say. I know, I don't like getting involved with lawyers and all this nonsense but, in a "free" society some times we need to stand our ground against these puny little punk bullies!:protest::angry9::angry4::cussing:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen kids dig bigger holes. Especially bigger than imaginary ones.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never heard of a town banning metal detecting in all public places. I would definitely take this up with the court. Remember to make perfect plugs and fill them in, which I am sure you are doing.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timmy did not fall down the well, BUT---------- Billy may not be able to chew what he bit into

thinkin' maybe defy him-- then they make a FALSE ARREST ---- and let the suit FALL IN HIS LAP

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
woodstock is a very strange community
i remember when CVS pharmacy wanted to open in the town people were saying that the increase in traffic would stress out the squirrels

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Little people with power over ....you..an easy target a lone detectorist that needs to be shown the power of...this idiot in charge .

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woodstock is a very strange community
i remember when CVS pharmacy wanted to open in the town people were saying that the increase in traffic would stress out the squirrels
Wow

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may ask yourself----

why the lack of recent finds from the 2 months of diggin' Woodstock, NY :dontknow:???

last week the Town of Woodstock Supervisor-- Bill McKenna--(a public figure), advised me that I could no longer hunt the trails, sports fields or any "manicured lawn" due to the risk of injury from falling in a hole.

this is after well over 500 holes and massive amounts of modern trash were removed from the Town DIRT :BangHead:--- that's right--- horrific damage done to DIRT :BangHead:

there are no holes--- just filled & STOMPED dig areas.

the Duty Sergeant of the Town PD says, even absent a local ordinance--- I must comply with the "demand"

my current mental state says I should take some video of the grounds that I dug and post it to the Town website or Facebook for the evidence that proves Mr. McKenna is a vapid, clueless, Liberal :censored::censored::censored::angry4::cussing::pain10::angry5:

there is no "slander" here _______________________JUST THE FACTS that puny political hacks can and will infringe on your "pursuit of happiness" and any other activity that "offends" them

GOD HELP US ALL

the Town will still allow use of narcotics in public, bums sleeping on benches along Tinker Street, drunks & dopers will leave their trash behind, AND______________ the "Hollyweirds" will be lauded for their "talent"--- ala Harvey

just my opinion---

Everything you said is point on. Hope you can make some headway against the powers that be.

Woodstock is a very strange community.
I remember when CVS pharmacy wanted to open in the town people were saying that the increase in traffic would stress out the squirrels

Damn CVS and damn squirrels.

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah how can they just verbally make a law ?? I thought laws and ordinances have to be approved through the city council!? Maybe I'm wrong but until something is on paper I'd tell them to pound sand

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sympathy goes out to you. Sounds like your nemesis is a small minded individual that lives for pushing around his "serfs". As far as I know, he is not a Duke and Woodstock is not his personal serfdom (it is NY, so I guess anything is possible). Is there a town blog or forum you can access? If so, post your experience and ask the rest of the citizens how they feel about Billy making up laws on his own and how long until he takes away their activities. Maybe approach the opposing political party in the area and let them scream about it. Make it a matter of turning voters on him and see if he changes his tune.

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea i agree go march up to office and tell him what a big :censored: and he go :censored: some where else

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... advised me that I could no longer hunt the trails, sports fields or any "manicured lawn" due to the risk of injury from falling in a hole.....

Port-even-ace, I agree with mind-crime1988's question:

Any idea as to how this came to be? Something must have happened to have this guy make a rule on no metal detecting.

What precipitated this communication ? Was Bill McKenna out-and-about one day, saw you , and decided to make this edict ? How is "Bill" even aware that you are metal detecting, in the first place ? Is there some sort of permit or permission involved, that must "cross his desk", such that one day he just decided "no" ? Something tells me there's more to this story. So please fill us in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would tell him that if he thinks his verbal law will stand up in court...

.... I would probably contact a lawyer ....

Are you guys serious ? As brazen as I am with legal objections to issues relating to md'ing: I also have to admit that the md'r WILL be on the loosing end of such a debate. Because, let's be honest: Metal detectors *DO* have connotations. We DO dig after all. And sure: We cover and leave no trace, right ?

But put yourself in THEIR shoes: In their mind's eyes, they're thinking: "Geeks with shovels". Or "If we allow one yahoo out there, then how do we know the next persons won't be as neat as him?" In other words: They're simply going to take the "safe" route and say "no". And you WILL be on the loosing end of that debate.

So the LAST thing you want to do, is go swatting hornet's nests. And take something that was merely a verbal scram (yet not codified), and now get it codified and official.

Ah how can they just verbally make a law ?? I thought laws and ordinances have to be approved through the city council!? ....

If nothing is written in the city laws or codes, verbal law is as good as nothing.

Tanz and fmrUSMC_0844 : No one has just made-up a law here in the OP's case. The "law" they are alluding to IS already "written". It will no doubt hinge on the boiler plate universal language of "alter" or "deface", etc..... Yes that's grey-area catch-all language. But yes it's within the powers-that-be latitude to apply as is needed. Laws are written like that on purpose, after all, so-as-to fit a myriad of circumstances that might arise in the field. That's why, for example, there are vague laws that forbid "annoyances", etc...

Is that to say that we md'rs agree that we are "altering" and "defacing" ? OF COURSE NOT. Because we know we will leave no trace.

So I hate to say it guys: But sometimes in cases like this, you just pick lower traffic times, and count such "scrams" as flukes.

Example: In my 40-ish years of this, I have personally (or known of others in our part of the state) who have gotten "scrams". And they turned out to be isolated flukes in most cases. And despite occasional flack, you just give the spot a rest, and .... go back at a lesser traffic time. You are simply not going to please every last person on the planet. I can give you example after example of bootings, where .... to this day ... you can hunt to your heart's content, and .... unless you were wearing neon yellow at high noon traffic, would be hard-pressed to hear "boo" another time .

I suppose if a place truly enforced it (or made a SPECIFIC rule), then sure: You must fight or clarify something. But otherwise, please do consider if you're just dealing with a singular fluke. Or dealing with 1 person in a town of 50,000, who is never likely to be out there again. In fact, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread