Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a lot of machines and been detecting since the BFO's were the only game in town. The majority of my machines have been "used", but I would never buy a high dollar top of the line, or close, unit unless it is new. I do radio electronics repair, and a metal detector is a radio, so I can fix a lot of non-working units, but have had to send a couple to Keith Wells that I couldn't figure out. Most detectors aren't even broken in good before they get put in a closet and basically forgotten about, and these are what you want to find, as long as the batteries were removed before they went Rip Van Winkle. Battery leakage is the most common damage in these forgotten units. Component degradation is a constant, and failure can strike at any moment, which is true of any electronics. Used machines have worked well for me, but I'm picky about what I buy, and realize it is always a gamble. I will buy non-working units if the price is right, on the chance I can resurrect them, which I usually can. After battery damage, most other problems are actually mechanical, switches, pots, disconnected wiring, bad battery contact, disrupted board traces, loose coil, etc. Actual component failure usually is with capacitors, anything beyond that and it starts getting complicated, at least for me. All that being said, in the past few years I found a couple of 50ish year old White's BFO's that ran like champs when I put the batteries in, you just never know.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought untill now 14 used metall detectors and the only one i had a small problem with was the youngest one that still had 4 years guarantee so that was not a problem. A part of buying used detectors is luck and another part is just like cars some have more defaults and others are more reliable. I have bought in the past 8 used Tesoro's and using them for years without any problem.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saved for months. Bought a used detector. After of 6 months of swings in finding nothing but bottle caps I was able to compare signals with a same type of detector. After sending it in was told it had a bad coil and was dunked in the ocean. I dont live anywhere near a ocean. The guy still sells detectors on various forums. I was pretty upset about it. Save yourself head aches, I learned the hard way.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 rule. "If it sounds to good to be true if probably isn't" Do your self a favor keep saving and buy a new detector.

JG.

Many fantastic deals are out there on used detectors that were closet queens, and many still have full factory warranty on them making minor problems no problem. I agree with those that get their used machines on craigslist since then you can easily see what condition they are in and usually try them out. Meeting the owner in person also makes it easier to see if the seller is an honest person or not. I got My safari off ebay from a dealer in FL who had only used it on a two week trip to Cost Rica and I saved 4 hundred and it had a full warranty. My Excal came on craigslist from a woman in OH whose husband had passed away after using it on land only a few times. It had sat in a closet for eight years and only needed a new battery pack. It is a "blue" model, preferred by some over the newer ones, and it cost half of a new one. ATP was an older model that the owner had sent back to Garrett for the pinpoint and shaft upgrade and has functioned perfectly for the five or six years I have owned it. It was a craigslist deal and I got to try it out before purchase and the seller was a fine honest gentleman. I could not drive the nice cars I like or use the fine detectors and many other items I own had I not bought them used. If one does their research and knows what they are looking at the second hand market for almost anything is a good place to shop. Of course if you're one of those doctors or lawyers making hundreds of dollars an hour or more, buy new!! If you're a working Joe like me the used market is great for most things.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure, like cars and homes, people sell their problems.

I bought my first "real" detector used and still have it. And it still is a very good (if analog) detector.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying and selling on eBay is, or can be, a hit or miss when buying used equipment. Here on TNet though it's been 100% positive.
I did purchase a used Omega 8000 ver. 6, out of warranty on TNet, that after a year bellied up. I sent it in for repair and First Texas sent back a new Omega 8500 in the box at no charge. After using the 8500 I like it better than the 8000. So that worked out great on the "used" purchase.
Buying used is best inspected prior to purchase or at least a generous return agreement.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I just bought a CZ3D on eBay. Great deal on a machine with only 3 hours on it and lots of extras. Seller decided to get back into detecting then got injured. He listed everything as Local Pick up Only. No shipping. That eliminated the majority of potential buyers. Will keep detector clean and resell in spring. Still have an eye on the equinox.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased my CTX and Excal II, as well as a Fisher 1265X on TNet, also picked up a 6" and 17" coils for the CTX here. I've not been disappointed. I also sold my Etrac on TNet. Like others stated on this thread, TNet members with solid records here are always dependable.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I do need to clarify what I meant with starting this thread topic.

I own no machines which came factory sealed, new in the box. Do they work "as intended",,,yes. Do they match the best standard of virgin units bought absolutely new? Nobody really nows how many "lame detectors" folks sell. Jus' cuz a machine functions in every way, doesn't mean it was not orphaned, sold and resold, due to being lack-luster.

JM2C

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the market for shady detector dealers is pretty slim at best. I'd venture to say that 98 out of 100 detectors are sold because they are gathering dust or the previous owner upgraded. I've never had an issue with a used detector except for the wall hanger Heathkit that I didn't expect to work anyway.

Or when someone didn't get the memo that it's actually work to find the goods. Lazy and detecting don't go hand in hand.

Bought a couple machines from Tnet and both were like brand new. Seems like most here value their rep over a couple hundred bucks.....which is nice.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO, buying used machines is a cost effective way of trying out the newest technology or just to experiment. Last spring, I bought a New (used a few times) Minelab 705 for $ 300 dollars (listed for $375) on Craigs List. I met the owner and we spoke about the machine and why he would want to sell it. He said that he felt self conscious while detecting and just couldn't get over it. I tested the machine and the functionality was perfect.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up a long time ago worrying about what other people thought what I looked liked, but when they lose their phone or keys in the sand they stop making fun of you :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now you have more than enough feedback on buying used vs new. I probably can't offer anything others haven't already shared. That being said I prefer to by used for the fact that you can save 50% on low hour like new machines if you search the market continually like I do when hunting for a particular make and model detector. I have purchased three machines brand new. All the used machines I have purchased ALL worked fine and found me good stuff. Craigslist is great as others have said because you can meet the seller and test the machine. E-bay is a bit riskier but, if you are confident the seller's feedback is solid and their reputation is important to them then I have no problem making a purchase there either. Anyone have a used Nokta Impact for sale?:laughing7:

Jack Barlow

Oct 23, 2017
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000 with GPZ19" Coil
Minelab CTX 3030 with all coils/rods, plus large elliptical Coiltek
White's Coinmaster GT/ NEL "Big" Coil
White's BeachHunter ID/300 Factory Upgraded to 300 model with
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had two bad experiences back to back recently with used, so I just bought a new Garrett AT Max. First one, Ebay was a White's Beachhunter ID, when I got it, it would act weird just for a second, and you turned off and on...then fine. Yeah right...used it twice, 3 hours total, now sent in. Then I just tried buying a slightly used AT Max. Asked too many questions I guess...I was asking if everything that came in the original box was included. Too many questions for the seller who was selling it for a 74 year old, who had detecting on his "bucket list," but found the crouching down no fun. So the guy asks me: "What was my ORIGINAL NATIONALITY!!! Say what??? I wrote him back..."Now I get racial slurs, yet? I was born and raised in Wisconsin. So I said: "Why don't you just cancel my bid."...and he did. Lucky for me, I was only saving a lousy $70 over new. He did me a favor...and then I smiled when he got $10 less the next round selling it!

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said, some brands are less or more reliable then others. The one i had a problem with, was just like yours a Teknetics Omega 8000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread