Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting permission to hunt farm and corn fields seems to be a popular thing. Is there a reason they can be so productive that I am missing? Obviously you want to hunt where theres been past activity, but it seems like they are randomly productive where you'd think they shouldn't be.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which state are you in? All fields can produce, but to increase your odds, look at old maps from the 1800's if available and hunt those fields that once held a homestead. Some county atlas's from the 1800's show where residences and business once stood, but do not show barns or other out buildings.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always figure it like they were constantly active on the farms back in the early farming days. Things like a very labor intensive sulky plow. Cutting any grassy areas would be done with a scythe. All harvesting manually done. Those people were always, always on their land moving and shaking.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are confusing locations. Are you in the U.S.? Here, you need to be in the oldest states and even then you need to do further research for past activity such as homesteads, or military activity. People in the US don't do well just randomly searching fields.

Now, if you are talking about the Europe and England, they have thousands of years of human activity. You can't throw a rock without landing someplace people have lived or worked. Random fields may or may not produce but they have a much higher chance of success than in the US

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which state are you in? All fields can produce, but to increase your odds, look at old maps from the 1800's if available and hunt those fields that once held a homestead. Some county atlas's from the 1800's show where residences and business once stood, but do not show barns or other out buildings.

Minnesota

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of iron in farm fields. Somebody told me once that they lost more stuff when they used horses to plow. I've searched random fields where I knew the landowner. I have found pieces of ancient farm equipment, but nothing good. I did find a snaffle bit from the Santa Fe trail. Early 1800's ... old for Kansas

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
county of interest? I'll try to find an old map for you.

Ramsey.

Thanks. I've looked a little bit on historicmaps.com. A lot of the maps I opened didn't have the "dots" where homes used to be.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think you are confusing locations. Are you in the U.S.? Here, you need to be in the oldest states and even then you need to do further research for past activity such as homesteads, or military activity. People in the US don't do well just randomly searching fields.

Now, if you are talking about the Europe and England, they have thousands of years of human activity. You can't throw a rock without landing someplace people have lived or worked. Random fields may or may not produce but they have a much higher chance of success than in the US

X2 what Jason said.

The USA is just too new to go to "any random farm field" and have any worthwhile targets to dig. There has to have been something that went on there in the old days. Eg.: stage stop ? picnic site ? camp ground ? battle ground ? cellar hole or house or something ? etc....

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X2 what Jason said.

The USA is just too new to go to "any random farm field" and have any worthwhile targets to dig. There has to have been something that went on there in the old days. Eg.: stage stop ? picnic site ? camp ground ? battle ground ? cellar hole or house or something ? etc....

I dunno tom... us east coasters who seem to trip on the old stuff everywhere might disagree:laughing7: But yeah for the most part random fields wont cut it unless your on east coast colonial areas.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barren corn fields have unfortunately become my specialty as of late due to the fact that most old farmsteads are being torn out right and left to get a few more acres of farm land. It can be a daunting challenge if you just go in blind. Tons of research and footwork is done before I even get a metal detector out of the truck, that includes estimating distance from old aerial photos and plotting out my search areas using a measuring wheel, it's not exact by any means but saves a lot of haphazard swinging and miles upon miles of walking. Differences in soil colors from google earth can tell you where old buildings once stood sometimes for many decades after they where tore out, especially after a bean field year. I'm only interested in caches so I only devote the time and effort if I have a pretty good reason to believe there was once something intentionally buried on the property. For someone that just wants to coin hunt around where an old farm house once stood will usually have a very frustrating time of it do to the massive quantities of junk that will always be there but can still be good. Old country school sites every couple miles are usually not worth the time either but where old churches once stood have been productive for me. It's a tough gig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread