Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nails, Nails, and more nails!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800 Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    8710 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuperduke View Post
    Will do, there can only me so many....I figure after I find them all I can get to the good targets, there can only be 10k right?
    Give or take a few lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, ATX, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion GS, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD20
    366 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sounds like an old prohibition era place that I have detected in the past. Besides a ton of .22 shell casings the place is so littered with nails that it's basically impossible to detect there. It's the only place I have given up on, several times. We're not talking the top surface of nails -- I could rake that much up, but they are 3-4 inches down (maybe more), and pretty much interlaced. I'm going to give the place one more try this coming spring, this time with my Fisher F-75 (fully upgraded version), and use the 5-inch coil and the fast audio mode and see what happens. This time while I'm at it I'll remember to bring along a two-box, just in case there's something really nice to be had...

So to answer your question, I only give up if nothing good is turning up after many hours, and even then I'll come back with a different machine and/or search coil if I think the place holds something of value. In the end, it's your town, so as if/when to give up is a decision only you can make.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    8461 times
    Prospecting
    Use a hard Tarmac rake with a super magnet attached to the head to pull the surface iron out of the way. With a little practice and a big enough magnet you will be surprised how much less junk iron there is.

You have to get the iron out of the way to detect nuggets. Your 4000 is an excellet well proven nugget machine. More than likely the nails are from a long tom, not a living or working structure. In a hydraulic pit you should consider detecting around the working face of the pit. There will be less metal there and the wall/debris interface is a good trap for gold.

Don't listen to that 50 year old relic nonsense. There is no such law and no one has ever gotten a ticket for detecting old junk on public lands. Internet myth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links