Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nails, Nails, and more nails!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Nails, Nails, and more nails!

Well here it is, partially a story and partially a question. I have a site on federal land that I camping at a lot up near Nevada City. It's an old hydraulic mining site from the 1800s. I have detected this site about 15 times for many hours at a time and have never turned up with anything aside from square head nails. I'm talking hundreds of them, all over the place. Now the odd thing about the whole situation is that I have literally never pulled anything aside from these nails out of the ground there, not even a scrap of trash. It is only nails, constant nails. Now, I generally would keep on going as the nails indicate that there was enough traffic to get them there but I am starting to get concerned that either I am not using my detector correctly, maybe settings, maybe something else, I have used Iron descrim and it seems to alleviate things a bit but I am starting to get the old frustration bug. My question is, at what point would you abandon the site or start making changes to your method? Would you just keep on beeping the same nail farm? Thank you in advance.
    vpnavy and RustyGold like this.
    GPX-4000
    Sgt. USMC 2007-2012 (Iraq-Kuwait-Afghanistan)

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    8730 times
    Shame on you for even asking this question! You do realize that the next hit could be the big one! Why, you could hit the mother-load of gold coins!
    Stuperduke and searching 4 like this.
    We Salute Our Veterans!

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    77 times
    I know I know, but with 35-40 hours of nails, its hard to not ask it. I have so many I started making a coffee table with them.
    vpnavy, RustyGold and jsandin like this.
    GPX-4000

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    8730 times
    Just for the fun of it - you should try selling some "antique nails" on EBay.
    Stuperduke and RGINN like this.
    We Salute Our Veterans!

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    4192 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Good idea on the coffee table. Sounds like gold to me.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    2763 times
    Simply put, once once my curiosity about what's there fades and frustration sets in, I push the power button and move on.
    I don't do it to cause frustration, I do it to get rid of the frustration in other parts of daily living.
    Good luck.
    Stuperduke likes this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    GPX-4000
    77 times
    well put.
    Icewing likes this.
    GPX-4000

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1636 times
    I recently cleaned out a spot that was producing nails, and other iron and the only reason I stayed there is because I started digging buttons.....and then a few LC's then more buttons. After removing that many nails and not finding any non ferrous targets like you describe I'd walk away. Could easily get burned out.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2781 times
    That much of a concentration of square nails may indicate a burned structure.
    Slingshot likes this.

us
    Apr 2004
    Appalachia East Tennessee
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    873 times
    You might do better to hunt that site with an older TR machine from the 70's 80's, like a Compass 77b, in a nail field they have a big advantage over the newer VLF detectors. I have an under $50 Harbor Freight 9 function detector that has some very good "see through" in nails. Other options would be to dig all the nails and learn to love them, find a new place to hunt, or jack your discriminator up to max and be happy with what pops out. Whatever you do, best of hunting to you.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola, XP Deus w/ HF coils, & 11" LF. Land and Sea pinpointer
    567 times
    The coffee table sounds like a great idea, but I'd be scratching my head too.

I think I'd want to re-examine the site to look for a different area where there may have been more or other activity, and probably also hit the current area with a different detector and compare notes. Meanwhile, run some tests with my current detector to make sure I've got all the knobs dialed in right for those conditions.

us
    May 2011
    2382 times
    Well, if what your info says is true you are using a GPX 4000....no wonder you are frustrated.
    I hate digging tons of trash, I wouldn't even attempt to hunt that kind of site with this kind of machine.
    The 4000 is a pulse unit and I read your manual, it says you have something called iron reject but no other disc from what I can see.
    You also have blanking, if you are using this feature with so many nails you could go silent over good targets close to those nails if it is blanking them out.
    This is just the totally wrong type of detector to be using in this kind of site IMO.
    You need something with different disc capabilities, a normal VLF unit with different features than that PI, something that can deal with all those nails better.
    Depending on how deep actual good targets are there there are several that might work and find you the good stuff even masked targets...if they are there.
    A Compadre might work and it is super cheap but not a huge amount of depth.
    The Mojave is deeper as is most other Tesoros.
    I know my F70 can handle a site like that, the Patriot is a much cheaper version with all the same abilities.
    Then there are a slew of other great detectors that will probably work much better there than that PI and keep you sane while you try.
    Last edited by digger27; Nov 26, 2017 at 04:35 PM.
    Stuperduke likes this.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    2018 Totals...$1.14!
    Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    10930 times
    Relic Hunting
    Using the 4000 at the site would be challenging. Though it has been suggested the your on a burnt building site have you tried the side away from the nails? It could also be a case where you aren't the first to detect this so=ite and your getting the leftovers.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7836 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Stuperduke, correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt' the GPX-4000 a prospecting (nuggets) machine ? If so, what-the-heck are you doing trying to use that for relics/coins? (or were you angling for nuggets?)

The iron-disc. feature ("so-called") on those machines is only good for the top couple of inches of the depth of those. Everything beyond that will sound the same.

I hunt ghost-townsy sites all over your area and nevada, and NEVER dig a nail or iron . Unless sometimes a large ox-shoe or cast-iron stove part to fool us.
    Stuperduke likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Jan 2014
    2 times
    I changed to a GoldBug2 and went back to my favorite old hydraulic site near Nevada City, where i too was only finding square nails, and found several tiny nuggets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links