powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on the north shore of Long Island in an area where there was colonial activity. There is this huge field not far from me that i've hit many times. Ive never found anything to date other than crashed soda cans. I think this field may have been part of an old farm. Ive read so many stories of good finds on abandoned farm fields but this one just isn't producing. Should I permanently cross it off my list or should I keep going back?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s hard to say. Have you done a search grid over the entire field? Maybe use another detector to compare your findings to. Good luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Powrsurg,

Try to locate old maps to see where the homestead was located. Look for iron the blood of any relic hunter. Where there is iron people lost things (house...etc. location) through human activities.

RustyGold is correct about grid searching! I would grid North/South, East/West and then Crisscross to ensure close to 100% coverage! Choose small sections of the area and apply this searching technique. IMHO: You must overlap your coil swings, even with a DD coil by at least 10 - 15 %. I do not know what machine or machines you are using, but the choice can make a difference.

If you should have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

GL & HH

Doc

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long Island is so rich in history. Is the field you're working, still part of a farm? Where there is trash, there is human activity.
What machine are you using?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How deep are the aluminum cans you're finding? Try digging some iron up to see if you get any old square nails. That's a dead give away there's other items in the mix. It takes ALOT of time to cover large fields completely. Literally could take seasons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First question is what kind of detector are you using? And now I will give away the secret to finding old good stuff. 1) it has to be there in the first place and 2) after the aluminum is removed and the large iron is removed, the good stuff will magically appear. Happens all the time. I was on a group dig, this was the third trip to the site, and most of the "good" stuff had already been found. Among the aluminum cans was a Revolutionary War cross belt plate in brass. The aluminum had to leave to find the plate.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
look for bushes,like lilacs,that people use to keep around their houses.i have found old house sites just finding certain bushes out in the woods with no sign of an old house in sight.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to hit every tree base and briar patch also.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ever give up. This is where you will find a Pine tree or an Oak tree. Change your settings and hit it again.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone,
My machine is a Whites Spectra V3i. I use factory settings and keep it on the Coin Jewelry program. The problem with Long Island is that getting permission is hard (everyone wants to be left alone) or you need a permit, or its illegal.

This field in particular has been a field for years. Certainly before 1964 so if there was human activity there should be silver. Im pulling out mostly tin cans at about 5 inches down. The digging is easy probably from years of having the solid turned over. Across the street is another field where they have Carnivals every year. I wouldn't be surprised if the carnival was on the field I'm hitting years back.

When I hit a place I don't normally follow any search patterns. Ill definitely start hunting more disciplined in the future. Im also thinking of switching my setting to Coin only when in this field.

Ive checked old maps and I cant discern how far back this field goes. Ironically my own property was part of a colonial farm and ive pulled tons of flat one piece buttons out but no coins.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone,
My machine is a Whites Spectra V3i. I use factory settings and keep it on the Coin Jewelry program. The problem with Long Island is that getting permission is hard (everyone wants to be left alone) or you need a permit, or its illegal.

This field in particular has been a field for years. Certainly before 1964 so if there was human activity there should be silver. Im pulling out mostly tin cans at about 5 inches down. The digging is easy probably from years of having the solid turned over. Across the street is another field where they have Carnivals every year. I wouldn't be surprised if the carnival was on the field I'm hitting years back.

When I hit a place I don't normally follow any search patterns. Ill definitely start hunting more disciplined in the future. Im also thinking of switching my setting to Coin only when in this field.

Ive checked old maps and I cant discern how far back this field goes. Ironically my own property was part of a colonial farm and ive pulled tons of flat one piece buttons out but no coins.

Have you dug any iron up? Or if nothing else do you get iron signals? A dead give away that a field was turned over in the past is finding the old stuff shallow and current goods down deep. I recently dug an 1831 capped bust half dime at 6-7 inches deep then the next hole an aluminum can at a foot.

Are you digging every non ferrous signal? I've had some shocking things ring up low in the fields. My KG2 was ringing up like a zinc penny. Also got a sweet trade token in the pull tab range. If it was farmed at one point I'd bet that it is loaded with indian heads and large cents. The silver is hard to come by!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much is ever found by "giving up".

:)

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HighVDI,
There is a good amount of iron there. I've been ignoring all the hits that show the All Metal frequency as the dominant frequency. Bad Idea?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HighVDI,
There is a good amount of iron there. I've been ignoring all the hits that show the All Metal frequency as the dominant frequency. Bad Idea?

My answer would be: YES

I'd dig a few pieces up every trip as they might very well be masking the non-ferrous items. I've dug many targets that have been in and around the iron.

Query: Do you just go by what the detector screen is saying, or by sound and just using the screen as a reference to dig or not?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI,

I'd hit that field hard. It sounds like there is farming history along with general public money activity too. I don't typically dig iron tones but I would in your case just to see what you unearth. If it is period to early farming I'd be willing to bet there's coins and other good targets there. I've noticed coins in some fields hide very well. If you dig ox shoes, horse shoes, round balls, square nails chances are you will find something good

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me personally, I'd put ten hours on it if its right there and convenient. If you can't find a hot spot of square nails, buttons etc or at least a large cent or something interesting move on to easier or better spots. I have many sites that I walk and crisscross and if I don't hit anything good in 8 hours of swinging I put those on the (this site sucks) back burner. If I walk all day and at the end I have found a seated liberty half dime or at least a largie or a few Indians I consider that success and will keep that spot on the good spot roster. Everyone's different. I used to only hunt solo but I am realizing inviting someone else to your spot can be a great eye opener on what you are (or are not ) missing in terms of target types depth etc.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a new machine for me. Years ago I had a whites and I had all the sounds down. I hadn't metal detected in years and just recently got back into it so i'm still learning the ropes. Generally, the last few times i've went out i've been putting all my trust into the VDI and Frequency.

My answer would be: YES

I'd dig a few pieces up every trip as they might very well be masking the non-ferrous items. I've dug many targets that have been in and around the iron.

Query: Do you just go by what the detector screen is saying, or by sound and just using the screen as a reference to dig or not?

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what the place looks like. Im unsure of its past as I have not found an old map with enough detail to list it. Its too rectangle, and too unvegitated in my opinion for it to have not been a farm years ago. Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 4.25.06 PM.png
What you cant see from the picture is that the entrance path from the road is a tall hill. Once you go up the hill the field is flat. Ive seen no indication of previous structures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread