Archeologists and Detectorist Aren't Always Friends

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I ran into an Archeologist the other day while out hunting a public park.
We got to talking and I told him I had found some old stuff at an old
public park in another location.Though he was friendly he did tell me that
it was off limits to metal detectors.I told him there was no signs nor markers
saying so.He said the guy over his club made the rule.Now I know history
should be preserved,however I also know that I'm an advocate for Detectorist
rights.By all means if a place has been marked legally by the proper process to
be an actual historic site is one thing,but just to say so,to me,is not enough.
So how would you guys approach this?

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you got one of those guys that has a "title" and thinks if his group isn't the ones looking or finding old items, than nobody should. I would hunt it until someone "official" tells me otherwise. JMO

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not marked or listed as off limits in some way I say hunt it Archaeologist be damned.
People like this make me mad. Most detectorist I know do alot to preserve, respect and protect history. There are people who feel if they can't be the one to find it and (Get credit for it) they would rather see it rot away.
If we could only work together with people like this we would save much more.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends? They hate us for the most part. :laughing9:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
images.jpg Ridiculous!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I ran into an Archeologist the other day while out hunting a public park.
We got to talking and I told him I had found some old stuff at an old
public park in another location.Though he was friendly he did tell me that
it was off limits to metal detectors.I told him there was no signs nor markers
saying so.He said the guy over his club made the rule.Now I know history
should be preserved,however I also know that I'm an advocate for Detectorist
rights.By all means if a place has been marked legally by the proper process to
be an actual historic site is one thing,but just to say so,to me,is not enough.
So how would you guys approach this?

It would be like asking a PETA representative what they think about the sport of Rodeo. They would shriek at you. And then start spouting about laws on animal cruelty, etc.... But ... seriously .... what did you expect to come from an animal rights PETA wacko ? Did anyone else object to rodeo except them ? No. So too do I put little stock into what some purist archies say about md'ing.

I loved the replies by looking-harder, relic nut, alien-life-form, and digger-460's answers so far.

You say you've been hunting that other park without issue. Right ? Then why argue with success ? Why change a single thing you're doing ? Just give the archie fellow courteous lip service, and .... then steer clear of him in the future. The less they think of us: The better.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like someone's seen Raiders of the Lost Ark a few times too many. 😂😂😂

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Punch him in the mouth.
That's the only way to be sure.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell him nothing. You are making America great again. He is being a stick in the mud.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you are digging and someone asks you about find, just say new clad coins and leave it at that. Problem solved.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCREW him!! I don’t know if he showed you anything that proves he’s an archeologist but it sounds like he just being a jerk. I hate people that act like that! Keep digging my friend and post your photos. Have fun and take care.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends? They hate us for the most part. :laughing9:

Other than the laughing emoji, you nailed it on the head. They'll use collectors for anything they can, then throw 'em under the bus. They are elitists who look down on us as part of the "unwashed masses". With that said, there are a few, and I mean a few, that continue to work with collectors for the benefit of all, but they are indeed rare exceptions. I'm not knocking archaeology at all, but that it has been infiltrated by left-wing activists.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of archies are elitist idiots. never tell them a single youve found or that you even own a detector. Just tell them you love local history and pump them for as much info as possible.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and never miss an opportunity to refer to him/her as "Graverobber".

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you are digging and someone asks you about find, just say new clad coins and leave it at that. Problem solved.
Research in action are you interested Mr Archeologist?

Pull tabs some very early period ones with the beaver tail, but all I find lately is a whole bunch of modern Monster Energy Drink ones with the “M” perforated or Red Bull with th Bull Perforation in a rainbow of colors.

B3EB0498-6A55-4CD2-8AE4-9FB276EC6B5A.jpeg

Do you have any tips on how I can properly rope off the area and forbid modern tabs from polluting this site.

Don’t even get me going on the pollution of this site with
crown caps, can slaw from the lazy groundskeepers and aluminum foil.

B96A535F-DC3D-4260-974E-33F26AEF78C3.jpeg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I studied historic archaeology, but aside from one brilliant old professor the rest were sanctimonious poofters so I decided against pursuing a career where I would get paid peanuts for the privilege of being surrounded by post-modernist Neomarxist pseudointellectuals and instead went darkside, gleefully contributing my cash toward the "looting" of ancient European antiquities found by my old-world detectorist brothers. Looking at the jumble of goodies on the table next to the computer (and much more elsewhere) I can almost taste the delicious salty tears of the impotent archaeological priesthood.

DSCN4218 (2).JPG

Deal with it, archies. 8-)

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I studied historic archaeology, but aside from one brilliant old professor the rest were sanctimonious poofters so I decided against pursuing a career where I would get paid peanuts for the privilege of being surrounded by post-modernist Neomarxist pseudointellectuals and instead went darkside, gleefully contributing my cash toward the "looting" of ancient European antiquities found by my old-world detectorist brothers. Looking at the jumble of goodies on the table next to the computer (and much more elsewhere) I can almost taste the delicious salty tears of the impotent archaeological priesthood.

View attachment 1538588

Deal with it, archies. 8-)

Bravo!! Well said, my good Man!!:thumbsup:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If and when ANYBODY should ask me, "Find anything good?"....or "Anything old?", I ALWAYS answer, just some recent change and a dandy assortment of trash. The only people I would like to talk about anything good etc., would be friends or other detector people. I AM surprised that you were even able to have a discussion with an "Archeologist", knowing that he even seeing someone out there with a "Metal Detector" must have "Frosted" him. Yes, I am sure that I might be "looting" items that should be preserved for "future" generations, such as pull-tabs, bottle caps, rusty nails, can slaw and wads of foil, even the plastic water bottle caps I pick up along the way...........by the way, just what future generation ARE we speaking of? After all I am a future generation from say my great grandfathers time. You were just being an honest and open guy bayhawk, nothing wrong with that, but there are others that would want to stop you from what you enjoy doing, something that is really causing no harm to anyone for reasons that I'd bet THEY are not really sure about, unless its something that somehow makes them feel superior in someway. So go on and enjoy the hobby, retrieve your targets the proper way, leave no trash etc. etc. etc. And as Tom in Cal and many others would say, just keep a low profile and use common sense. If future encounters, remember how others on the Forum have learned to answer. IF you run into in to the "Archeologist" again? Plumbata's post #17 might give you a clue, THEY are not going to be happy for you or give you tips on where you might want to detect. Sorry fella's, I went long on this one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread