You see another person detecting so you go say hi. What was your experience ?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have talked to others out detecting and it's like they don't want to talk much so they pack it up and go.

About 4 times now over the years i have met 2 others and i like to say hello and ask if they found anything.
Well these 2 people more than once have told me right away that they have a detecting partner.
So who gives a Sh--. I don't need a detecting partner. I never ever ask any one to be my partner ever.
Not that i haven't detected with a few people before.
I want to find things by myself and not having a partner to beat me to the gold coins or old silver is the way i like it.
I don't have to wait around for anybody.

I have seen others detecting and thought i would walk fast and catch up with them for a small chat and i had to
give up because they were swinging madly and walking very fast.

I would like to hear some of you stories.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run into them every time I go to the beach on vacation. I'm one of those people who will say hi to a fence post and like you said, you walk up and say hi and they look at you like you have an eye patch, a peg leg and a parrot on your shoulder. Geees, just wanted to say hi and good luck.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good. Im curious about what machine they are using, realistic list of finds etc. But they act borderline hostile or at best aloof and cool. My favourite was last year in a serious drought I decided to track down all the water storage dams. The closest one has a yacht club and camping ground. Found about 300 fishing sinkers and clad some siver rings then struck gold (literally) by detecting around the yacht moorings . No water so most are out in storage or moored very far out. After about 10 visits I see another guy with a minelab explorer going over everything that Id swept time and again. Could barely mumble hello or make eye contact. Said he was finding a lot of coins (possible but unlikely). I asked about his machine (I love talking technical about detectors) he held it up and mumbled then turned away....
Another time I was dry beach hunting saw a guy with a CZ20... could barely be bothered to lift his earphones....acted annoyed that I was interupting him...

Thats why I detect alone. I like to project a more posotive image of the hobby. I met one guy who was very nice.....but I wasnt detecting and didnt have a detector with me.

Nicest people are here on treasure net.

Chub

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorists are usually solitary creatures, the ones I've run into in the field usually say hello and we go our own ways after brief general chit-chat. I've never had anyone run away though. :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't feel bad. I've had guys walk up to me and say I'm on "their beach." I always smile and say something like, "Does that mean I have to give you back all the gold and diamond rings I found already?" :skullflag:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad. I've had guys walk up to me and say I'm on "their beach." I always smile and say something like, "Does that mean I have to give you back all the gold and diamond rings I found already?" :skullflag:

maybe also ask them to pick up 'their' rubbish also...

the word 'territorial' does explain a lot....

Chub

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I only met one and he was interested only in possible sites. After I mentioned a few he said goodbye and don't bother him. He was a member here, but hasn't been here in a few years.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember one guy detecting on a west coast beach in FL. about a 10yrs ago. I was working the the dry sand and was getting closer to him and it was like trying to put two magnets with the opposing end together. He split like he had the morning squirts, swing the detector widely back and forth. :laughing7:
I was impressed by the amount of things he did miss before he split.

Only have seen a couple of folks detecting around my area but in the city there was one in this big park I remember. I came along a fresh roughly covered up spot in the walking path, then another, followed by one that was left open and trash beside the hole. I started fast walking down the trail and spotted this guy, he spotted me and started to boot it. The race was on, I can cover a lot of ground fast walking in the forest and I took a ravine short cut and came up on him digging a hole. He jumped literally when he looked up and was ready to split. I just told him to hold on for a bit as I wanted to talk to him. Poured the sugar to the conversation till he seemed pretty calm and was talking about his short lived detecting career. Then I dropped the bomb on his digging technics and explained that it was a privilege to be in the park not our right. Showed him the right way to retrieve and replanting the plug where there's nothing to see. He thanked me for not going postal on him as he thought being on a bush trail it could go bad. Nice guy, just uneducated on retrievals.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have walked up to others at the beach. Most are friendly. Never really had a snotty answer and no one talked about a partner. At the one shipwreck beach it's generally two questions, have you ever found any of the shipwreck coins and how do you like your machine on the salt sand....no problems there.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met a few detectorists over the years and all have been very nice and talkative. Of course, i was the one being approached.
I have yet to come across anyone with a detector out in the wild. So, if it ever happens, i will post my experience good or bad.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have met a few detectorists over the years and all have been very nice and talkative...

That's been my experience 95% of the time. Hobbyists are naturally inquisitive of liking to see how other's luck is doing, etc.... Oh ... sure .... once in awhile someone with a grumpy attitude, etc.... But for the most part: Nice folk.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting since '80. I can honestly say that every other detectorist I've walked up on has been nothing but nice...sometimes just spending time talking techniques, finds, sharing spots, whatever. The last two, we exchanged phone numbers and have been out on hunts since. Maybe it's just a rural thing. Dunno. 😐

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have pretty much and the good, bad ans ugly. I just like to talk about what they are swinging and the luck they have had. I know most guys are loners and afraid you will find their secret honey hole. I met one really nice guy with a CTX and he showed me the finer points of the CTX and had been hunting 30 yrs and asked me to join him and even pointed out a few good spots.

Most guys mumble a bit and don't want to be bothered.

One guy dam near went postal on me and told me I had no right detecting in his area. I politely said I see no signs and this is a big park. He said it's my park. I said I am sorry I didn't you owned the park and he said well it's a city park and I claim it. He said take that thing you call a detector and get out of here. I looked at his Ace 250 and I had my V3i and thought this guy is intimidated by me. I said sir I am not here to steal your spot and I have never been to a park that has been hunted out. I said maybe we could work together and learn something from each other. He said get the F out of my park now. I said fine happy hunting and left. I returned later and picked up $6 in clad in the same area he hunted because I could see his poorly covered plugs..

I try to be friendly and don't mind if someone wants to talk or even hunt with me. Heck I may learn something or even learn of a new place to detect.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always say hi if I'm close enough and maybe cause I'm so intimidating, no one has been mean

last year in myrtle beach I went up to a guy and he thought I was the man who got on him the day before for not filling in his holes

oh and I always ask if they are online, have never met another tnet member yet ( well except for smokey and all I got was rocks thrown at me!)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People are different, and for that matter not every hunt is the same. I don't go out of my way to say hi, but if our paths cross I will have a short chat if its wanted. I try to be sensitive to what other detectorists want and treat them the way I hope they'd treat me. I mean, sometimes my time is limited too.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I'm at the beach detecting , I make it a point to challenge other detectorists to a duel with our detectors.... on guard!!! however, the sore losers always smack me upside the head with their scoops!!! :tongue3:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....or yu could turn it around Mr. Terry and tell the Dead Beats, oh I didn't realize that I was on your beach, and turn your trash pouch over to them full of pull tabs and bottle caps.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They always seem to crawl away weeping from me... mumbling how they are gonna sell their detector and gear...

Park rangers quit their jobs after we talk,,,

and policemen turn in their badges,,,

so...

running is weird.

:P

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met a few guys and normally they are cordial,One of the guys I met told me about this site and we exchanged phone #'s and sometimes we will meet up and hunt the same park if I am in the town he lives in.He is a Tnet member also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread