How deep are the silver coins you find?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do most detectors max out at? I agree with what your saying...I dig everything, I'll even chase the blips, because most times they end up as deep coins. Or with my machine Nickels....My machine doesn't like nickels too well, but will find the smallest nail! :laughing7: Silver comes in pretty strong. But even then usually in the first few inches.

You have to take a few variables into account. The frequency of the machine. Lower frequencies hit hard on high conductors but not as deep as a higher freq. Higher freq can go deeper and find smaller targets. Coil size is another variable. The larger the coil, theoretically the deeper it will detect. The top of the line VLF machines can give a good tone and target ID from between 9 to maybe 14 inches depending on the target size and soil conditions. My deepest coin was a large silver 1812 French 5 Francs dug at 10-10.5 inches in rain soaked ground here in Ohio using the stock 9x11 DD coil. My deepest target dug was a piece of lead pipe that gave a good target ID at 14 inched using the stock DD coil in a wet corn field.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread