Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: Even with permission do you hunt a graveyard???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1928 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My one honorable mention was a find made in a graveyard.
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly...

Charter Member
    us
    Sis

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    2880 times
    While I enjoy reading about all the treasures, my main interest is digging up the history of my farm
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    My one honorable mention was a find made in a graveyard.
    IMO...I would say that was an "exception to the rule." You were contacted concerning an item known to be recently lost in the cemetery. You were only looking on the surface ( albeit under snow) for lost item. Belated congratulations on your honorable mention.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Cor. 13:4-7 NIV

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1928 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightdigger View Post
    IMO...I would say that was an "exception to the rule." You were contacted concerning an item known to be recently lost in the cemetery. You were only looking on the surface ( albeit under snow) for lost item. Belated congratulations on your honorable mention.
    Thanks. Agreed, that was an exception to the rule
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly...

us
    Oct 2015
    Arizona
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well heck ya. Look at it this way you had permission and the possibility of making new friends, what can happen. Lol

On a serious note I don’t think so. I’ve visited a few but wouldn’t hunt there.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Whites M6 & MXT
    81 times
    Metal Detecting
    I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not like your grave digging. If your that concerned about it just hunt around the outskirts like along the fenceline, If its an old property you may get some nice finds.
    1320 and Wrightdigger like this.
    You dont have to believe what the Media says, Its opinion, not fact. You dont have to accept what Hollywood pushes on you. You dont have to believe what any Politician says. Politicians are self servants, not public servants.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2520 times
    In the town where I live, the senior center is in from of a graveyard. Not a good decision.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    819 times
    I'm guessing it was a zombie that gave you permission to hunt the graveyard?

There is a cemetery near me that the last know "member" was buried in the late 1920's.

There is a huge grassed in section now that looks like an old parking spot, and the cemetery itself is so far out of the way, that I doubt many people even know it's there anymore.

I stumbled across it quite accidentally, and have asked some locals if they even know the name of it.

All I seem to get is "there's a cemetery there"??

I still won't dig it, but that parking area sure looks inviting!
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Charter Member
    us
    Sis

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    2880 times
    While I enjoy reading about all the treasures, my main interest is digging up the history of my farm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightdigger View Post
    I own a cemetery. When we bought the farm, the lawyer said we could " legally do anything we want with it, including digging it up and building our house there." Ummm, no! However, it was in great need of attention. I am constantly working on it, including digging up the gravestones and resetting them straight, and digging borders around them to help prevent me from damaging the stones with the lawn mower, etc.
    When I first started detecting, I did go out to the cemetery. It is the only sectioned off land, so I could keep track of where I was at and I was trying to learn what the detector was trying to tell me. I didn't realize it was such a big "no-no" for some people. I ended up digging a shotgun shell and a beer can out of it. Now IMO, that was disrespectful, and I was "led" there to get them out. Again, I stress IMO. Since then, I have learned that it's a "stumbling block" for some tnet members. For that reason, I will not detect there just for the sake of detecting. I am not going to stop straightening up tombstones and digging out stumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold boy View Post
    i like to go to cemeteries to straitening the flowers and flags and whatever people put on their loved ones grave i also like to see when they were born and when they died and to see the old head stones too
    Quote Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
    I'm guessing it was a zombie that gave you permission to hunt the graveyard?

There is a cemetery near me that the last know "member" was buried in the late 1920's.

There is a huge grassed in section now that looks like an old parking spot, and the cemetery itself is so far out of the way, that I doubt many people even know it's there anymore.

I stumbled across it quite accidentally, and have asked some locals if they even know the name of it.

All I seem to get is "there's a cemetery there"??

I still won't dig it, but that parking area sure looks inviting!
    gold boy, it's nice that you do that because anyone who may visit will get a good feeling knowing someone out there cares.

Geobound, I was using the fence to learn it's signals and how close I could get before it would set off my detector. I find a lot of rusty fence in the ground and I was tired of digging it up. On hindsight, I could have went around the outside of the fence. Also, I decided to just dig up every signal anyway.
    The first person in my cemetery was buried in 1855. The last person buried there was 1900. I can't find the information now, but somewhere I read that it's considered abandoned because it was a church cemetery (nonprofit) that no longer exists and since it's been 100+ years since the last burial, there would not be any immediate descendants. That's for Ohio. Every place has their own regulations.
    Since people are so interested in their geneology, we had a couple ladies come knocking on our door and I showed them the cemetery. Then, one day, we came home and found a note with name and phone number and inquiring about the cemetery. My husband called them back and we will be hosting a family reunion of sorts (their family, not ours) for 20 +/- people we've never met before. They will be coming NC, CA, MI, and who knows where else. This has increased the incentive for me to clean up and fix what I can. Kind of cool, IMO.
    gold boy and Geobound like this.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

us
    May 2017
    Indiana
    Garrett AT Pro
    271 times
    Relic Hunting
    I'll admit it, I md a cemetery. I live in the house that I grew up in. I bought it from my parents 20 years ago. Before I was born, my father was putting a fence in and was digging a hole for a post when he dug up human bones. Freaked my mother out. There is a headstone that lies in a large patch of lilacs just off of my back porch. Going by the name on the stone and by the abstract of my property, the woman died around 1850. She is buried about 75 yards due east of the house in what is now a 2 acre patch of alfalfa. And yes, I did run a metal detector in that vicinity.
    Wrightdigger likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    USA
    352 times
    Metal Detecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikepost.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1546718

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    24093 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    with proper permission, and full costs to get there,
    be there and return trip. I'd hunt the white house lawn, Gettysburg Battlefield,Wrigley Field, Washington monument, Bell Witch Farm, the vatican, Grand Canyon.... Julianne Moore's lawn,
    "THE MOON ALICE !" you name it
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Feb 06, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

us
    Jan 2017
    East of snowflake Arizona completely off grid
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    255 times
    If I catch anyone detecting my grave site after I have been placed six feet under I will come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives will make their life miserable HA Ha

no way no how would I ever detect a graveyard

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    24093 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    If I catch anyone detecting my grave site after I have been placed six feet under I will come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives will make their life miserable HA Ha

Name:	aog51494.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1546859
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Feb 06, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Sis

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    2880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post

Name:	aog51494.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1546859
    Say a invalid attachment but it shows up in quote.

Edit: there it is

Charter Member
    us
    Sis

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    2880 times
    Been living next to (and now with) a cemetery for 33/34 years. It's not the dead you have to worry about. It's the living that "haunt" me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links