Hypodermic needles in parks and beaches and other areas

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
The post about the drugs in a cigarette box got me thinking about one of my scariest finds. In a park in downtown Provo, Utah I found a hypodermic needle once just slightly below the surface. I am lucky I didn't get stuck. I know the odds of infection were minimal, but the thought still makes me cringe. This was in a relatively nice area of town. I have also heard in parks with a lot of drug activity people will pull back the sod and stash their needles and drugs in them. That way of a police officer came by they had their stash hidden well. Has anyone else found hypodermic needles and dangerous items like that? In the future if a park like this is cleaned up and people start metal detecting the park they are going to find their share of surprise finds.

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Re: Hypodermic needles in parks and other areas

I have found several in tot lots (wood chips and sand) in the public parks in a city near Los Angeles. Also, I find lots of nails. I am not sure whether the needles and nails are from people using the park or get carted in with the wood chips or sand. I know we used to get mulch for our flower beds at home and it was usually loaded with all kinds of debris and junk (soda cans, nails, golf balls, etc.)
You do have to be careful. I consider it part of my way of helping keep the kids stay safe around here by removing these things from the playgrounds.
Turtleman

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Three years ago, I took a walk one day in Latina, Italy and I saw no less than four disposed syringes with needles lying on the ground and this was in a residential area of the city. I guess over there you have to teach your kids early about the hazards on the side of the road.

R

robert roy

Very SAD isn't it.
I hope you took the initiative to call the Parks Department what overseas that/those parks you go to and tell them. They MAYNOT be aware, or perhaps they are and being a bunch of slackards. If you have not told them you really should, not just for your piece of mind as an MDer but for those kids.

Robert

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I found a used needle in my FRONT YARD last year. It looked like someone driving by just tossed it out. I didn't touch it, just went in and called the police and had them come and collect it. I have 2 daughters and hate to think what might have happened if they or any of their friends would have found it. I live in a town with a population of less then 10,000, it's not just a problem in big cities like people like to believe. It CAN happen anywhere.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

robert roy said:
Very SAD isn't it.
I hope you took the initiative to call the Parks Department what overseas that/those parks you go to and tell them. They MAYNOT be aware, or perhaps they are and being a bunch of slackards. If you have not told them you really should, not just for your piece of mind as an MDer but for those kids.

Robert

They knew about it and would try their best to keep the parks drug free and clean them up, but there is only so much they can do. In the park that has the worst problem there are never kids playing there, parents knew better and you can tell when you drive up it is not somewhere fore a nice picnic.

With Meth exploding across the country these needles are a real health hazard. Aids, hepatitis, and so may other diseases that are spread so easily with one prick.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

AHH!
"U" guys ought to see Padre Island!
It is littered with them!
I am NOT KIDDING either!
I think from the quantity of them, there must be a "Medical Disposal" going on
Because,
With the needles are all kinds of those small medical syringe bottles, all over the place too! :-\
Texas has the "Messiest" :-\ Beaches I have ever seen! :o
AND! The National Seashore is the worst !
It is littered with everything !!!
From sinking shrimp boats to abandon vehicles!
But!
It's a great place to "Beach Comb" !
Especially, down where The 1554 Silver Coins are found!

S

stefen

cptbil said:
AHH!
"U" guys ought to see Padre Island!
It is littered with them!
I am NOT KIDDING either!
I think from the quantity of them, there must be a "Medical Disposal" going on
Because,
With the needles are all kinds of those small medical syringe bottles, all over the place too! :-\
Texas has the "Messiest" :-\ Beaches I have ever seen! :o
AND! The National Seashore is the worst !
It is littered with everything !!!
From sinking shrimp boats to abandon vehicles!
But!
It's a great place to "Beach Comb" !
Especially, down where The 1554 Silver Coins are found!

A few years back the south coastal areas of California experienced needles and such washing up on the beachs.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

Amazing about the beaches. How do people dare to go barefoot???

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A few years ago, I had a truckload of mulch delivered in my driveway and was cut by a rusty utility knife blade that was in the mulch. Needed stitches on my thumb and a tetanus shot, which sucked. This is a good reminder of why sturdy gloves should be worn when digging-especially in areas that are frequented by the public.

mrtoog

Greenie
Jun 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se, whites prizm III

Being on the west coast of Canada I'm all to familiar with finding needles. I usually keep an empty plastic pop bottle in my car to drop them in before I throw them away just so no one gets poked emptying/going through the trash.
The worst place I've found them was at my daughters elementary school >:(

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly, yes. I always use my Lesche or equivalent digger to move the soil and never dig with my fingers. Not just needles but glass and razor blades, etc. Tetanus is enough of a worry without hepatitus and HPV.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park hunts used to be 90% of my hunts. But due to a city ordinance change, I now do not hunt city parks except on rare occasion. Not only have I found hypos, but razor blades, bullets, fish hooks, knives, broken glass, metal slaw, and all sorts of unwanted items. I now have to travel to Texas and Arizona for any decent hunting as New Mexico is a non tourist state. Tot lots was the first thing I hit at any of 104 city parks we have here in Las Cruces. I want the Mayor and the Council to be ashamed for their actions. I am not a criminal, I cant believe I gavemy all as a Veteran to come home and find some of my past times forbidden.

boatcapt

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2012
NW Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the mid 80's we were headed to an Elk hunt in Colorado.. on the way out there we had problems with tires on the trailer blowing out..When we reached Denver, we pulled into town to find a tire store where we could purchase new tires.. blew the 2 spares we had.. we pulled over at the first place we found a telephone booth (pre cell phone days ) to call to find tires.. we were right across the street from the old Mile High stadium (Denver Broncos)..right along side of the phone booth was a outdoor bus stop shelter.. and on the floor of the shelter were at least 2 dozen needles scattered all on the floor.. needles to say we figured out we were in the wrong part of town!!! drove in further to find a safer place to call for tires..

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sad state of affairs... always nice to see freshly disposed condoms lying in tot lots as well. The fly's buzzing around them is always a nice touch...

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread