sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?

I'm south of Macon a ways. We could pick up WRBL3 in Columbus pretty good and WTVM9 so so. WMAZ13 in Macon came in fairly well, and once in a while, we could get WALB10 in Albany, but never that clearly. I remember Roller Derby on Saturday afternoons, and don't forget the Soooooooooouuuuullllll Train! No wonder we stayed outdoors all the time!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so many memories of so many people. soon, it will be our kids talking about what about their parents had to endure. "I had to walk 4 miles thru the snow to get to school everyday!" kids can't even imagine having a phone tethered to the wall and having to play outside. Games? heck we made our own games (some got us in trouble too). if a boy had some marbles and a pocket knife, he was set. if we caught some fish or managed to get a rabbit or something, we ate it for supper. we also ate REAL HAMBURGERS back then when we were able to get one. I can still remember lying on my back and watching the clouds slowly pass by, imagining this one was a lizard or whatever. Stress? That would be if dad broke out the big brown belt or mom the peach limb, then there was real stress!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell heirloom tomatoes and honey at the farmers markets to support myself. Lots of work but very rewarding.
I have the best tomatoes in the entire Pacific Northwest. And beyond

How many hives do you have? Ive been keeping bees for years and years but more as pets - ha ha. -I don't really need to make a profit from them.(yet) I have a very rare bee here - the Capensis. they are a smallish bee but very strong producers.
Fresh honey has a special aroma and flavour.

Chub

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I remember Green Acres, it was the place to be!! LOL.....

Gun Smoke actually started off as a radio show, with William Conrad as the lead. I still enjoy that show.

I was watching a movie with my niece one day, when a scene came on that showed a dialup modem and the sound it made.

She had no idea what was happening, so I had to explain to her how it worked.

Then she asked, "couldn't you have gone to a friends house and used their internet"? LOL.......

I should show her the picture of the kid laying on the floor tied to the house phone, that would likely blow her mind!!

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live off grid and the only way I have cell phone reception is with a cell phone signal booster it works great with out it I have zero bars with it I have 2-3 bars and 4g service

and yes I remember Green Acres tells me I am getting Old

look at the Wilson signal boosters or WE-BOOST

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You post some of the funniest things that make me laugh out loud, dirtlooter. All that about texts and voice mail, you must be a high tech redneck, especially since I still call that an 'icebox' and not a refrigerator, haha!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You post some of the funniest things that make me laugh out loud, dirtlooter. All that about texts and voice mail, you must be a high tech redneck, especially since I still call that an 'icebox' and not a refrigerator, haha!

a lot of us need to stop and laugh, most of us have our own funny experiences that tend to get lost as we get older. actually, I really struggle with the electronic stuff now, my wife has to help me on stuff like posting pictures, pasting etc. people like Red Skelton didn't have to curse to get you to laugh, they kept it pretty clean and people loved them. The icebox? I worked for years in a building lined with cork, it was the old ice plant where the huge pieces of ice would be stored. the ice was cut and sold so people could take it home to their real ice box. I can remember as a little kid (1959) going with my uncles in the old wore out ford truck to go see an armadillo, no one had seen one before and it was "exciting". now they are everywhere into everything and very destructive.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved Green Acres and never could understand why those red neckians didn't tap a wire so they wouldn't have to climb a pole?

We had one of the first TV remotes in our 'hood (mid-70's) and it came with a wire lol. 'Click-Click!'

Electric indoor directional rotor with 30-foot tower/antenna. We're talkin late 60's, I was seven.

Always wanted to build the Radio Electronics magazine directional long-range wifi hotspot locator, cheap, good for 8-10 miles line of sight.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Slightly off topic, several years ago I found a radio station in Alaska which had those old radio shows available for free download. I downloaded all the Gunsmoke shows. Fun to hear. There were many shows of different names, I have a folder with them in it.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly off topic, several years ago I found a radio station in Alaska which had those old radio shows available for free download. I downloaded all the Gunsmoke shows. Fun to hear. There were many shows of different names, I have a folder with them in it.

If you are a subscriber to Sirius Sat Radio, then you can listen to Radio Classics as they play all the oldies.

Johnny Dollar, Gunsmoke, Frontier Gentleman, Have Gun Will Travel, Suspense, This Is Your FBI, and of course Dragnet and many other great shows.

Holy crap on a cracker, I just sounded like an ad pitchman for a minute there. :tongue3:

Of course you could probably get a lot of these off of YouTube too?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should get a hold of Mr. Haney and see if he's got a new type of phone, or better yet a taller telephone pole.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can still burn my garbage. We have trash pickup, that’s where I put my glass/plastic recyclables
A farm does produce a lot of burnables that I can tell you. I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

View attachment 1542990

Even better was my older brother with the phone cord stretched into the nearby closet - talking to a girlfriend - and I would walk by and pull down the disconnect. Little brothers are shits.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tube has full episodes of Green Acres...And it has episodes of this show as well... ...

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oh yeah, green acres and peticote junction. sunday evening was mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom and wonderful world of Disney. i miss the simpler times

Mr Cheech

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Green acres was a spinoff from Petticoat junction, which itself was a spinoff of The Beverly hillbillies. They are all still aired on cable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread