Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: remember "Green Acres"?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Title? old fart

    Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    6,791
    7615 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

    remember "Green Acres"?

    How about the part where the people have to go climb the pole to use the phone? Well, here in the area that I currently live in, we no longer have land lines and our reception is very poor at best. If and I say if, I realize that my cell phone is ringing or trying to, I have to make a run to get outside and to stand in a certain area where I hope for the best. Then, I get asked, are you okay, you sound out of breath so I have to tell them why. The internet... well, very sore subject, let's just say that I have to go up the road a ways and then hope for the best. we tend to get voice mails and texts a little on the very slow side. I had a friend text me five or six times to see if I would go with him on a long out of town trip to get a part. I saw him flying up to the house and wondered what his problem was as he jumped out in such a hurry. minutes later we were on our way and about half a mile away, I suddenly got all of his texts. yeah, I live in the mountains and it is what it is but, hopefully sometime later in the year, we will be living in a more favorable reception area. no more standing in the rain to talk on the phone etc. One of my friends spent big bucks to get a booster antenna set up for where he lived only to have a tower installed about half a mile away. And yet, I remember having to go outside and turn the very tall antenna pole so that the tv (only 2 channels possible) would come in better if at all. I also remember having to stand out there the entire time of a show so that my parents could see a certain show. I also remember trying to get on the stupid phone but the local gossip wouldn't get off (party line). of course I also remember going to the store in town to get a tube (for the TV) checked and or replaced. I also remember having a refrigerator last about forty years. in some ways, we are still pretty laid back around here but that seems to be slipping away as well. Remember....remember what?
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

  2. #2
    us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2,320
    2538 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Green Acres was a great show. Eddie Albert was one of many actors who served in WWII. Tougher times, but way better in so many ways. Yeah, I remember with the antenna, "Whoa, turn it back the other way a little bit. You went past it. Whoa. You can come on back in. That's as good as it's gonna come in." Better shows on the 2 channels we could pick up then than all of the ones put together nowadays.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9,923
    9482 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have to go outside to get cell phone reception at our "hobby farm". And when it rains heavy we lose satellite link for internet and TV.

    We lose power monthly in the winter.

    And I love it out here.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  4. #4
    us
    Been there...Dug that

    Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1,650
    1574 times
    Metal Detecting
    No problems with using my cell out here in the middle of nowh
    dirtlooter and dsdigger like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

    Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    1,851
    3215 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Try getting close to a window when you need better reception once Indoors.

    However that being said I always turn my cellphone on AIRPLANE MODE. and take it off to check my messages and call people back.

    HERE IS WHY...WATCH THIS IT MAY EXTEND YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE



    God Bless!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9BCD43D-4B7E-453D-A32F-C0E17508E82E.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1542704
    pepperj and dirtlooter like this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

  6. #6
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    11,015
    16299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Home b/w tv repair consisted of mirror on chair, knitting needles reshaped ends for tools working around the high voltage tubes. As long as we could see the hockey puck it was good enough to watch the tube.
    dirtlooter likes this.

  7. #7
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    11,015
    16299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScoop View Post
    Try getting close to a window when you need better reception once Indoors.

    However that being said I always turn my cellphone on AIRPLANE MODE. and take it off to check my messages and call people back.

    HERE IS WHY...WATCH THIS IT MAY EXTEND YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE



    God Bless!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9BCD43D-4B7E-453D-A32F-C0E17508E82E.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1542704
    Now you just wrecked my day. Seriously this is a scary thing that most never even consider in their lives.
    WaterScoop likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    sprailroad

    Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    1,633
    2137 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    How about when your parents watched T.V., you had to lay on the floor in front of it, to reach up and change the channel on command. (Of course only 4 channels, 3 local, 1 from Canada)

  9. #9
    us
    Title? old fart

    Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    6,791
    7615 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    I have to go outside to get cell phone reception at our "hobby farm". And when it rains heavy we lose satellite link for internet and TV.

    We lose power monthly in the winter.

    And I love it out here.
    yes, I love it out here too. I am more than willing to put up with a lot of things to maintain a much quieter atmosphere to live in. yep, we lose power several times a week and always a couple times during the weekend. right now we are stuck on cable and in spite of what the company claims, the service is lousy and prone to be lost.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

  10. #10
    us
    Title? old fart

    Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    6,791
    7615 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    Green Acres was a great show. Eddie Albert was one of many actors who served in WWII. Tougher times, but way better in so many ways. Yeah, I remember with the antenna, "Whoa, turn it back the other way a little bit. You went past it. Whoa. You can come on back in. That's as good as it's gonna come in." Better shows on the 2 channels we could pick up then than all of the ones put together nowadays.
    yes, there were a very lot of actors that were WWII vets, both on TV and in the movies. some were highly decorated too. I remember when someone got a electrical antenna that you could adjust from the inside, I couldn't wait for us to get one( my parents finally got one after I went into the service).
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

  11. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    5,529
    5221 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I remember the show Matt Dillon that turned into Gun smoke.And Bonanza on Sat.night and having to turn the antenna just a little. I remember when you could burn your garbage out your back door and doctors would come to your house. Yes sir you are correct. The good old days are gone. Maybe for the best.

  12. #12
    us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    1,119
    1293 times
    Relic Hunting
    Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?
    sprailroad likes this.

  13. #13
    us
    sprailroad

    Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    1,633
    2137 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?
    I forgot about "Roller Derby" loved watching it as a kid, thinking that "those were tough women".
    devldog likes this.

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

    Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    1,851
    3215 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rook3434 View Post
    I remember the show Matt Dillon that turned into Gun smoke.And Bonanza on Sat.night and having to turn the antenna just a little. I remember when you could burn your garbage out your back door and doctors would come to your house. Yes sir you are correct. The good old days are gone. Maybe for the best.
    I can still burn my garbage. We have trash pickup, that’s where I put my glass/plastic recyclables
    A farm does produce a lot of burnables that I can tell you. I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B6CB1C0-8754-4C24-88FE-EDD4AF89560B.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1542990
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

  15. #15
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    11,015
    16299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScoop View Post
    I can still burn my garbage. We have trash pickup, that’s where I put my glass/plastic recyclables
    A farm does produce a lot of burnables that I can tell you. I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B6CB1C0-8754-4C24-88FE-EDD4AF89560B.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1542990
    Do you use Miracle Grow in the water to help them?
    devldog and sprailroad like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2018, 06:59 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 14, 2014, 06:41 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 13, 2014, 07:46 PM
  4. Slim pickins today...silver "Roosie", "Buff", "wheaties" and "Yikes"!
    By lorraine in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
  5. Do you remember "River Country water park" in Disney World?
    By mikeofaustin in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 21, 2009, 10:39 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0