Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We should let garbage like this die in obscurity. :skullflag:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Just leave this one be. Probably the single stupidest thing I've ever read.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys i couldn’t stop myself from sharing the pain of reading it. People say that misery likes company! [emoji23]

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its funny what people think is "stupid" I'm an avid fisherman as well and some of my fishing buddies think metal detecting is ridiculous. So I ask them about their $50000 boats, $50000 truck to pull the boat, fuel for both, thousands of dollars for rods and reels plus tackle. Leaving the house at 4am, riding down a lake at 50 mph freezing your you know what off, to catch fish with the CHANCE of making a little money at the end of the day, only to release the fish you caught. I explain I have a $700 detector, a hundred dollars worth of tools and I get to keep what I find at the end of the day. HMMM Which one sound more "stupid"

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why even give her even more publicity by repeating her drivel? She's obviously biased and doesn't know what she's talking about... why repeat it IMHO...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea, talking about the fishing.At one time I had a pretty nice rig.(watched to much Bass Masters) and came in to dock at the end of the day. Had not caught anything but a cold and at the dock off to the side sitting on a 5 gal. Bucket was an old black man fishing with a cane pole. I said it's been tough today haven't it?He said well sir not really and reached down and pull up a stringer full of nice Bream and a couple of nice bass. I ask,what's your secret?He said nothing really. The dock is where the Bass Tournment boys turn the fish free. I had a metal detector in 2 weeks and haven't looked back.:laughing7:

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why even give her even more publicity by repeating her drivel? She's obviously biased and doesn't know what she's talking about... why repeat it IMHO...

I agree with you but the only publicity I knew she would be getting was just from the people on here that know its all nonsense. Probably the only good thing it ended up doing back when it was written was helping to keep more of that type of people out of metal detecting. People that don’t know what they’re doing or talking about in the hobby and making even worse articles for a bigger audience. Glad you checked it out and your input was very welcome! [emoji2][emoji106]

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
All this article did at the time was keep people from even trying it. Now, at first, you might say good, less competition for the finds, which would be true in that respect, but also what it has the potential to do is keep people out of the hobby that are the next generation of diggers, less diggers in the future equates to less innovation, because if there is no money in making better equipment, it won't be made, and we all lose. So I want the industry to keep having new diggers to carry on after we are gone. Its good clean fun, profitable at least a little, good exercise, and sometimes it changes peoples lives in finds of treasure, but more importantly, finding friends. So she was dead wrong, we all know that, and we should take someone out that has never been and show them just how wrong she truly was.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its funny what people think is "stupid" I'm an avid fisherman as well and some of my fishing buddies think metal detecting is ridiculous. So I ask them about their $50000 boats, $50000 truck to pull the boat, fuel for both, thousands of dollars for rods and reels plus tackle. Leaving the house at 4am, riding down a lake at 50 mph freezing your you know what off, to catch fish with the CHANCE of making a little money at the end of the day, only to release the fish you caught. I explain I have a $700 detector, a hundred dollars worth of tools and I get to keep what I find at the end of the day. HMMM Which one sound more "stupid"
Great reply! [emoji2][emoji106]

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya... Issue is, now there is one more link on the internet to her drivel post... as Terry said up there, let it fall into obscurity, she doesn't deserve anymore recognition for her drivel that she's already gotten.

No offense to you, just no need to promote her even more is all I was saying... :tongue3:

She OBVIOUSLY has no idea what she is talking about and she doesn't know HOW TO metal detect, so her opinion is about as useful as Whoopie Goldbergs!!!

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus when she said no exercise that really did it in. Its the first hobby I’ve had in years and years that kept the excitement and self drive to hike miles in the woods,bend up and down a million times,move dead trees,clear bush,dig holes,walk beaches,roll rocks,climb in cellar holes,etc. Everything to do with detecting takes movement all over your body in one way or another. I know some people do it way harder then others but we all get exercise doing it. Also don’t forget all that fresh air and scenery. I could go on all day but i think you all get my point! [emoji2]

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t bother to read the article but I hear it from some of my friends and I look at them and ask how much do you spend on golf in year? That’s when they start stuttering and have nothing to say so I keep on and ask and what do you have to show for it? Then I start showing them pics of some of the gold rings I have found while water hunting and explain that I would rather be at the beach either in the water or on the sand enjoying the scenery( if you know what I mean!)sometimes bringing home the gold, rather than paying to chase a little ball around! JMHO!

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also its great to see the passion come out of the people on here to defend the hobby. I wouldn’t want to get on all your guys bad side thats for sure! HaHa

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn’t bother to read the article but I hear it from some of my friends and I look at them and ask how much do you spend on golf in year? That’s when they start stuttering and have nothing to say so I keep on and ask and what do you have to show for it? Then I start showing them pics of some of the gold rings I have found while water hunting and explain that I would rather be at the beach either in the water or on the sand enjoying the scenery( if you know what I mean!)sometimes bringing home the gold, rather than paying to chase a little ball around! JMHO!

Your for sure not missing much by nor reading it. I wish i did the same at the start and then i wouldn’t have put it up on here. Its making good conversation though! [emoji2][emoji106]

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chalk it up to fake news. If they say it's bad, we know it's good!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say i enjoyed the article.

Then again, i like H.R. Pufnstuf and Lidsville and The new zoo Review!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I wasn't especially offended by the article. Some people like some hobbies; others do not. She was probably not a technical person and was not able to learn how to discriminate. But, in any case, a lot of people just won't stick to a given hobby. How many exercise bikes never exceed 1000 miles? She did a public service by creating a cheap used (barely) detector for sale at a very low price.

I don't even have a functional detector. I had one back in the 80's, but when I dug it out over my Moctezuma treasure theory, there is a bad switch potentiometer and I decided I did not want to go through the hassle of locating one. My treasure hunting though has been ever so much fun, without actually seeing a single coin.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't especially offended by the article. Some people like some hobbies; others do not. She was probably not a technical person and was not able to learn how to discriminate. But, in any case, a lot of people just won't stick to a given hobby. How many exercise bikes never exceed 1000 miles? She did a public service by creating a cheap used (barely) detector for sale at a very low price.

I don't even have a functional detector. I had one back in the 80's, but when I dug it out over my Moctezuma treasure theory, there is a bad switch potentiometer and I decided I did not want to go through the hassle of locating one. My treasure hunting though has been ever so much fun, without actually seeing a single coin.

Those are some good points you made about it! [emoji106]

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn’t read the article too long and from the comments it’s not necessary. I’m from sportsman’s paradise and my rods have dust on them. My friends are charter captains and think I lost my mind. I love metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread