About time for a new Phone.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I been using a flip phone for years ,now the battery charging port is messed up & it won't charge , I know there are other ways to charge the battery.

A "I" or smart phone will help me with my hunting , pictures & many other things.

My ? is If I get a New phone , I would like some opinions on my best options for my needs.

I always said "I need a 'tough-Book lap-top' type of phone.
As I will be in the woods , sweat , rain , also i'm gettin old & falling down more often.

I'd really hate my screen to crack on my first outing . I know there are special Cases / Covers ; really would like a "Mil-Spec" type of phone.

Any advice on what I should Get & best price , We use comcast FWIW.
Thanks
Davers:coffee2:

Last edited by a moderator:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smartphones are great, but they're all pretty fragile. Most people get an otterbox brand case, and some companies make waterproof cases too. I haven't researched any "mil-spec" phones, I know a few people with samsung "active" phones that are supposed to be more tough, but they're not very happy with them.

There are programs (apps) for smartphones that can give you all kinds of mapping, GPS, waypoint, forums, photography, ebay, etc. Nearly anything you can think of. So yes, they can be great tools.

I've been using an iPhone for many years but I'm getting tired of it. They're pretty simple and easy to use, I don't really recommend buying one anymore because of the headphone jack is missing, and iOS 11 is pretty bad.

As for other smartphones, I'm pretty out of touch with what's being offered and their pros/cons. I'd recommend getting a big one, so the touchscreen is easier to see and use, and a good camera that can take close up photos of finds.

Last edited:

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an iPhone fanboy, and always will be. FingerChili is correct, The jack is missing on iPhone 7 models and newer, but I find bluetooth headsets to be more durable, have longer battery lives, and you dont have to worry about getting the cord tangled up. An iPhone 8 is a good one to go with (IMO), Their waterproof, and have good cameras. If your looking into an Android, go with the Google Pixel 2, great camera, good durability, and great download speed. In the end, all smartphones nowadays are pretty much the same. I recommend going to an Apple or Verizon store and just get a feel for what you like. Everyone's opinions will be different, but there's mine. Good luck!

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, last time I went detecting I had my bluetooth headphones playing music for a good 5-6 hours. Having wired headphones works better for me personally in most other categories though. Car doesn't have bluetooth, and using voice commands is excruciating over bluetooth because of the lag.

These are just personal gripes, you'll find how well it will fit into your life.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a flip Phone too & surprise-Surprise !

my Charger Port is acting up also.

Paranoia ? Maybe. Maybe not :dontknow:
I do know it has a chip so scammers know when I use it.
Either that or someone at ATT is on the scammers payroll.

because IF I make or answer a legit Call.
Shortly after I get several scam type calls leaving messages the IRS is coming to take me away,
if i don't call back immediately.
& other type b.S. calls.

Still I'm guessing a New Charger will help, As the Car charger is 100%.
Only my home charger needs playing with to get it to work.

and I would guess there is allot less Spying & Tracking options available on my Flip Phone.

remedy from day 1 on the camera lens, 3 layers of duct and black electrical tape,
to cut out all light source.

DSCF0001.JPG

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m also an iPhone user I’m a painter/finisher Forman and I’m constantly on my phone at work I drop it paint it and mud it regularly and have had no issues.I only have a cheap 5$ case .I don’t know about other phones as I’m also IPhone exclusive .ps there spendy

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember that smartphones embed GPS coordinates into every photo you take. So if you find buried treasure and take a photo, your location is going to be public knowledge. Then you can kiss that secret honey hole goodbye forever!

Smartphones are also a great way for law enforcement to track your activities, if they ever suspect you of any crime. They can also get a warrant and gain access to all your emails, IM's, photos and so on. Big Brother is watching you!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember that smartphones embed GPS coordinates into every photo you take. So if you find buried treasure and take a photo, your location is going to be public knowledge. Then you can kiss that secret honey hole goodbye forever!

Smartphones are also a great way for law enforcement to track your activities, if they ever suspect you of any crime. They can also get a warrant and gain access to all your emails, IM's, photos and so on. Big Brother is watching you!

You can shut off tracking.And with passcodes not even the fbi can infiltrate

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good point, Tim. Barring any backdoor, if your stuff is encrypted and password protected, you shouldn't be worried about a warrant for your personal data. Your cell providers data on you is a different story though.

You can change your privacy settings to not embed GPS data in the EXIF of the photos you take.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a smart phone and love the things I can use it for, especially at work. It took me awhile to learn how to use it and I still have trouble sometimes.
As far as big brother goes, he can knock his self out following me around. If I'm somewhere I don't won't anyone to know or shouldn't be then I won't have my phone.
As far as my permissions go..... I live in a pretty rule place, and if you are on another man's property without permission you better be wearing a vest, or very fast. Just saying.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cell providers data on you is a different story though.

True, and I'll bet it doesn't take much to get Verizon (and others) to cough up your cell phone records. Watch a few episodes of "The First 48" and you'll see how many people are caught by using their cell phone records against them.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, if you murder someone and then go around using the dead person's cell phone, you deserve to be caught! Stupid criminals...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stick with the flip phone
technology is not your friend
ever hear of a caveman getting arrested for a mass school rocking?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a flip Phone too & surprise-Surprise !

my Charger Port is acting up also.

Paranoia ? Maybe. Maybe not :dontknow:
I do know it has a chip so scammers know when I use it.
Either that or someone at ATT is on the scammers payroll.

because IF I make or answer a legit Call.
Shortly after I get several scam type calls leaving messages the IRS is coming to take me away,
if i don't call back immediately.
& other type b.S. calls.

Still I'm guessing a New Charger will help, As the Car charger is 100%.
Only my home charger needs playing with to get it to work.

and I would guess there is allot less Spying & Tracking options available on my Flip Phone.

remedy from day 1 on the camera lens, 3 layers of duct and black electrical tape,
to cut out all light source.

View attachment 1553715

Sorry it took so long to respond to this thread , the phone started working (or the charging port) started working again the next day, I still like it , Also I only use the Camera in Emergencies.

True, and I'll bet it doesn't take much to get Verizon (and others) to cough up your cell phone records. Watch a few episodes of "The First 48" and you'll see how many people are caught by using their cell phone records against them.

I hear ya, The First 48 used to be one of my favorite Shows, up til the last 5 years (to many repeats & Blocks of episodes marked as "New". The Miami guy's /gals & Memphis Detectives were among my Favorites.
They can get a Judge to sign for Cell Records 'QUICK' esp, in a Homicide Case . 'As it should be'.

I’m also an iPhone user I’m a painter/finisher Forman and I’m constantly on my phone at work I drop it paint it and mud it regularly and have had no issues.I only have a cheap 5$ case .I don’t know about other phones as I’m also IPhone exclusive .ps there spendy

This has been a reason I have not got a Smart phone yet , The privacy issue , good you can turn the GPS off .....But Can you really ???.. Then again it's said most people commit at-least 1 misdemeanor everyday.

If they busted everybody they would have to wall off a City to put everyone in , as in the Movie 'Escape from New York' but I hear the New York of the 1970-1980's is not the NYC of today.

"You know your Right"

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice.

Ill get one someday ??? When the Stars line up . lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long to respond to this thread , the phone started working (or the charging port) started working again the next day, I still like it , Also I only use the Camera in Emergencies.

I hear ya, The First 48 used to be one of my favorite Shows, up til the last 5 years (to many repeats & Blocks of episodes marked as "New". The Miami guy's /gals & Memphis Detectives were among my Favorites.
They can get a Judge to sign for Cell Records 'QUICK' esp, in a Homicide Case . 'As it should be'.

"You know your Right"

another option works for me on my Computer Tower.

My Deteknix WR Wire-Free headphone adapter, Charger Wire

DSCF0001.JPG

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I been using a flip phone for years ,now the battery charging port is messed up & it won't charge , I know there are other ways to charge the battery.

A "I" or smart phone will help me with my hunting , pictures & many other things.

My ? is If I get a New phone , I would like some opinions on my best options for my needs.

I always said "I need a 'tough-Book lap-top' type of phone.
As I will be in the woods , sweat , rain , also i'm gettin old & falling down more often.

I'd really hate my screen to crack on my first outing . I know there are special Cases / Covers ; really would like a "Mil-Spec" type of phone.

Any advice on what I should Get & best price , We use comcast FWIW.
Thanks
Davers:coffee2:

I buy last years models so that its cheaper, then definitely get a otter box or something of that quality for a case. You will be fine. I switched over from the old gz1 flip phone to a android and its been great for treasure hunts. Directions, land boundaries, pull up old maps, photos, gps mapping to remember where cellar holes are.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy last years models so that its cheaper, then definitely get a otter box or something of that quality for a case. You will be fine. I switched over from the old gz1 flip phone to a android and its been great for treasure hunts. Directions, land boundaries, pull up old maps, photos, gps mapping to remember where cellar holes are.

actually this and my Printer do the same :icon_thumleft:

DSCF0002.JPG

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do go get one, save yourself lots and lots of money by going to walmart and getting a pre paid one. Cheap smart phones do the exact same thing expensive ones do and are not as fragile or expensive. $55 month and unlimited everything. Even cases and protectors are cheaper and can carry over your number. phones are a huge rip off and are extremely over rated. Just my opinion though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread