Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago, a friend and I went up into the Muddy Creek Game Refuge to look for a place to bow hunt. We were checking various trees to see how the acorn crop was doing and if any were dropping yet. We had just checked a large black oak tree and were headed back to the truck when we spotted the biggest centipede that either one of us had ever seen. It was close to ten inches long, a deep orange with a black head and huge pincers. It became very aggressive and actually struck out at us as we checked it out. I just had to catch it and take it back to show everyone but we had nothing to put it in except a smallish glass orange juice bottle with a rather small lid. Frosty thought I was nuts as I worked at getting it cornered and finally got it to go into the bottle. We both knew that it had to have a wicked bite and watched it as it tried to find a way out.
The next day, I took it to work to show everyone what we had found. By now I had it in a mason jar with a little grass and some grasshoppers. One of the guys that worked near me was Chris, a small slender guy that reminded you of Barney of Mayberry. Chris was a nervous guy and acted just like Barney, in fact, the joke was Don Knots got paid to act like Barney where Chris really was him. Anyways, Chris was totally scared to death of it and was afraid that it would somehow get loose in the shop. He was so worried that he was constantly coming by to make sure it was still in the jar.
So, at break time, I found another jar to put it in and gave it to a friend to hold. Then at lunch time, the friend helped me get the centipede into the second jar and then I pushed the original jar off the work bench where it broke on the floor. So there was broken glass with the grass ect on the floor but no centipede to be found and then we hurried off to lunch. The centipede was safe in another jar and in my truck now as we ate our lunch.
My friend and I were intentionally slow getting back to our work, our foreman knew what was done and was beside himself and had to leave so as to not give it away. When we walked in the room, everything movable for twenty feet around had already been moved as Chris searched nervously for the dangerous bug. All in all, about ten people knew what had happened except for Chris and it took us about ten minutes to calm him down so that he could go back to work.
So, that evening I was in Walmart to get a toy for a small kid and what did I find? A large plastic centipede that looked almost perfect! So, the next day, it was carefully placed under a pallet right beside him where the tail end was showing. Again, everyone knew about it except for Chris and we waited patiently for him to finally find it. Yep, he took off like a scolded dog and one of the guys quickly grabbed it and hid it. Soon, we were all gathered around his area as he tried to convince us that he had seen it but it was nowhere to be found.
Chris was nervous wreck, very fidgety as he kept an eye out for the loose monster centipede. No, no one ever told him otherwise and the centipede ended up in the local high school science class. I have only seen one other one that big since then and yes, they do have a very wicked bite. I warned my wife when we got married that there wouldn't be very many dull moments and she can vouch for that even now.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, that is too cruel!

The poor guy is going to have to go on stress leave now. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, hadn't seen that video but it wouldn't have stopped me. I have caught numerous rattlesnakes from Velvet Tails to ground rattlers plus copperheads. I did this for fun back then but also to show kids their fangs and usually the venom dripping from them. I did make a mistake in my story, it was a small apple juice bottle, not orange juice. Chris, well Chris gave us many more laughs on his own, just like Barney. I don't care what kind of animal or bug you find in the wild, you have to respect it's abilities, that cute thing can hurt you, maybe even kill you. Oh yeah, Chris tried to be an EMT for a short time but he wasn't cut out for the job. He also was forced to take out his red lights from his truck as a volunteer fireman and made to go slower to fires to protect both him and others. He's got a son that is just like him LOL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story...Thank You for sharing! :occasion1

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I meant to tell you that the centipede in your video looks exactly like the one I found. it was very persuasive in letting me know that it would bite. my friend Frosty laughed the whole time I was trying to get it into the little bottle. I knew the smaller ones had a poisonous bite so I figured it had to be worse. I was watching a tarantula wasp digging a hole when my grandfather told me that he had been stung by one when he was in his forties. He said that it put a hornet to shame and he hoped it never happened ever again. I've caught a lot of things in my life but never could get myself totally committed to noodling like my grandfather and uncles. I just kept seeing snapping turtles and cottonmouths in my head. The big blues could sure do a number on a person's hand, especially if they tried to jerk it back out.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh, just hold it behind the head and start eating from the tail

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
back when I was pretty young I had an obsession with exotic reptiles,and insects like bird eating tarantulas which were the size of a dinner plate and highly venomous scorpions but my main things were true chameleons and monitor lizards I have had three really bad experiences with three different reptiles the first was a and worst was an iguana that a school teacher had in his class room he gave it to me because the students no longer would take care of it I got it home and it liked to tore my arm off had to have 27 stitches to repair the chunk of meat it tore out of my arm the second was a 7 1/2 foot black throat monitor I had it grabbed my hand while I was feeding it live rats and the third was a 3 1/2 foot Salvatore water monitor he locked down on my hand and it took me a hour and a half to pry his jaws apart with a screw driver the one thing you learn in a hurry when messing with exotic creatures is they are still wild animals and want to try and eat you or kill you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sheesh, just hold it behind the head and start eating from the tail

More like throw it in the Blender .

If Something Chomps down on Me it better hope I don't have a Knife within Reach.
It would be Headless, a big hole carved into it's skull, or at the Very Least it's Jaws Cut Open from The Sides :laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back about 1969, I was going to the 9th grade in Okinawa. I had caught this lizard that we only knew as monkey lizards. they spent most of their time in the trees (same place as the Haboos, vipers). we would use a very long piece of grass, 3' plus, and make a snare loop at the small end to catch them. anyways, a younger kid, new arrival to the island, wanted one for a pet so we caught one for him. Then the stupid kid tried to force feed the lizard which was a little over a foot long. The lizard got tired of it and crabbed a hold of the boy's thumb and would not turn loose. This while the boy screamed bloody murder and tried as hard as he could to sling it off. Now, the lizard's teeth were more like that of a catfish, more for grabbing and crushing bugs than actually cutting anything so they never even drew blood. but after being slung around hard and frantically for a minute or so, the lizard turned loose and went flying thru the air back into the "jungle." I thought it was pretty funny and the boy was cured of wanting one for a pet. I was more worried for the lizard than the kid.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cornered and captured several of these. Oklahoma State University will pay a little for them for research. They are nasty buggers and be careful around them.......

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has more legs than my dog....I go the other way...fast! I'm the poster child for "I hate spiders and snakes!"....I will not go out of my way to kill them tho, just take a W I D E berth...Ddf

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has more legs than my dog....I go the other way...fast! I'm the poster child for "I hate spiders and snakes!"....I will not go out of my way to kill them tho, just take a W I D E berth...Ddf

Depends on the Spiders. If they look big enough to Bite, I try to kill them.
If I get ready to Hop in the tub, & A spider is in it.
I flush it . even the Long Leggers. I don't want to bathe with them.

otherwise I let them go on their Way.

When I see a Thousand Legger Running across my Floor or in my tub,
They do for some reason get on my nerves.

If on the floor they are gone before I can fully React.

But in the tub, I need to flush um & bleach the tub :laughing7: Not sure why. But I do.

Thankfully I only see Thousand Leggers on very Rare occasions.

I never knew they bite till Recently

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread