Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ever take a look at the history channel, I am sure that you have seen Scott Wolter's shows, along with countless other Knights Templar programs. One of his shows is America Unearthed, where he tries to prove pre-Columbian contact in America, and there is also his more recent program, Pirate Treasure of The Knights Templar. I always find it hard not to laugh at Scott Wolter's highly inflated sense of expertise, and I find myself trying to guess what a "Forensic Geologist" does (and now on his new program he is a Knights Templar historian instead). I stopped watching America Unearthed after around 10 episodes, but recently decided to watch some of the others in lack of anything better to find on TV. I have to admit, it is a pretty interesting show, and does a good job capturing my attention. I recently also tried to watch his new show, Pirate Treasure of The Knights Templar, which the title seemed off the bat to me as a little bit chaotic. I noticed a few things that didn't sit well with me about the show, such as the key that was found in an apparent shipwreck, which he immediately claims came off a pirate treasure chest, belonging to a group of Knights Templars who survived after they were persecuted, and later became pirates in the 17th century. Today I was texting my father asking him if he watches the show, and he sent me a link to a website claiming to mention a report by the UNESCO (UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC*AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION) against the data found by Scott Wolter and his team. I skimmed through it and first noticed that the report mentions that some of the shipwrecks didn't come from European Shipyards, but from Asia. The part that I found the most surprising was that they claimed that the silver ingot found by him, and given to the Madagascar President was made from lead rather than silver. They also claim that ship wrecks claimed to have been found by the team were little more than 19th century construction debris. Scott Wolter responded to claims saying, "UNESCO hates Barry Clifford simply because he is the most successful pirate ship discoverer in history." Anyways, what is you guys' take on this program?

http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CLT/pdf/Rapport_Madagascar_EN_public.pdf
Scott Wolter Fights Back on Controversial Documentary Series, Accuses UNESCO of Hating Successful Explorers - Jason Colavito

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thankyou thankyou thankyou. A breath of fresh air. Whenever such nonsense (with more -plausible explanations as you've pointed out) get aired, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT TO REST. The dreamy-eyed treasure seeker conspiracy crowd just take it as gospel fact. But a simple google word search un-ravels most of the nonsense.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.T. Barnum knew. [emoji6]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Notice how stories can be spun on his show, to be so *fun* like this. And picking up on certain factoids in a story, yet selectively leaving out the "more plausible explanations", they can be SO BELIEVABLE. The average Joe watching those shows, is going to walk away believing.

So too do I ascribe most of the legends are of the same ilk: Eg.: "lost mines" and "stolen stagecoach loot" type camp-fire stories. Someone compiles the stories in a book , or in a magazine article, and ... sure they draw on real names, dates, events, etc... But they do NOT conclude in the intended "treasure" outcome. Just like in the case of Scott Walter's show: They have more plausible explanations, and are just speculation gone-awry.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever take a look at the history channel, I am sure that you have seen Scott Wolter's shows, along with countless other Knights Templar programs. One of his shows is America Unearthed, where he tries to prove pre-Columbian contact in America, and there is also his more recent program, Pirate Treasure of The Knights Templar. I always find it hard not to laugh at Scott Wolter's highly inflated sense of expertise, and I find myself trying to guess what a "Forensic Geologist" does (and now on his new program he is a Knights Templar historian instead). I stopped watching America Unearthed after around 10 episodes, but recently decided to watch some of the others in lack of anything better to find on TV. I have to admit, it is a pretty interesting show, and does a good job capturing my attention. I recently also tried to watch his new show, Pirate Treasure of The Knights Templar, which the title seemed off the bat to me as a little bit chaotic. I noticed a few things that didn't sit well with me about the show, such as the key that was found in an apparent shipwreck, which he immediately claims came off a pirate treasure chest, belonging to a group of Knights Templars who survived after they were persecuted, and later became pirates in the 17th century. Today I was texting my father asking him if he watches the show, and he sent me a link to a website claiming to mention a report by the UNESCO (UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC*AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION) against the data found by Scott Wolter and his team. I skimmed through it and first noticed that the report mentions that some of the shipwrecks didn't come from European Shipyards, but from Asia. The part that I found the most surprising was that they claimed that the silver ingot found by him, and given to the Madagascar President was made from lead rather than silver. They also claim that ship wrecks claimed to have been found by the team were little more than 19th century construction debris. Scott Wolter responded to claims saying, "UNESCO hates Barry Clifford simply because he is the most successful pirate ship discoverer in history." Anyways, what is you guys' take on this program?

http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CLT/pdf/Rapport_Madagascar_EN_public.pdf
Scott Wolter Fights Back on Controversial Documentary Series, Accuses UNESCO of Hating Successful Explorers - Jason Colavito[/QUO

I appeared in America Unearthed: Lincoln's Secret Assassins with Scott Wolter which aired in February, 2014. My brief description of my experience is in my Blog post here:

Facts about My Appearance on America Unearthed - Knights of the Golden Circle

~Texas Jay

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Scott Wolter Fights Back on Controversial Documentary Series, Accuses UNESCO of Hating Successful Explorers - Jason Colavito[/QUO

I appeared in America Unearthed: Lincoln's Secret Assassins with Scott Wolter which aired in February, 2014. My brief description of my experience is in my Blog post here:

Facts about My Appearance on America Unearthed - Knights of the Golden Circle

~Texas Jay

Wow, Thanks for sharing your experience! It seems very fishy that they edited your interview to that extent, it looks pretty obvious that they don't like people giving facts that go against what Scot is trying to prove. I would find that show a bit more credible if they at least examined some counter arguments. If your interview was like that, I imagine that a large portion of the others were edited in that way too. Like you said though, at least you, your town and websites, got national exposure through the show though, which is very cool and a good bonus for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread