GORHAM CANDLESTICK HOLDER

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
it was stamped sterling with several hallmarks but then under that it was stamped weighted with other metals. i find that misleading ? if the piece is stamped sterling I would think the whole piece would be sterling. so if a person sold it for scrap how would you determine how much of it to be junk ?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's weighted with either cement,epoxy,or in your case other metals.The sterling is a thin layer,hollow and filled to give it weight.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we can't have our candle sticks blowing over.
Wait a minute, if the wind is strong enough the blow a candle stick over, wouldn't that same wind be strong enough to blow the candle out??

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS NOT MISLEADING. IT IS WEIGHTED STERLING AND IT SAYS SO ON THE PIECE. plate has hallmarks to Sorry for the caps Fat fingers

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My silver candlesticks were filled with sand.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, we can't have our candle sticks blowing over.
Wait a minute, if the wind is strong enough the blow a candle stick over, wouldn't that same wind be strong enough to blow the candle out??
You're just...

Wait for it...

Against the wind. 😝

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
It's weighted with either cement,epoxy,or in your case other metals.The sterling is a thin layer,hollow and filled to give it weight.

a thin layer huh ? i thought sterling referred to being solid silver ? forgive me ! i'm gullible and have Seroquel of the brain

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The thin layer is sterling silver,its basically hollow ware.If it wasn't filled it could also be dented very easily.If you drop one of your candle holders,it will dent.The sterling layer is about as thick a couple of sheets of paper.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was stamped sterling with several hallmarks but then under that it was stamped weighted with other metals. i find that misleading ? if the piece is stamped sterling I would think the whole piece would be sterling. so if a person sold it for scrap how would you determine how much of it to be junk ?

First... Gorham is one of the leading names in sterling collectables... SO... unless this piece is damaged / bad shape then "scraping" should be a last option.

Second... IF you are going to scrap it anyway... The piece should be dismantled... whatever crap is inside of it should be removed to maximize pay.

There are many times also a steel or other metal reinforcement "bar" / "rod" in these types of things... this also must be removed.

My suggestion to you would be to do a little homework and decipher the marks as to exact age etc... this and any piece like it can / could be worth WAY more "as is".

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I end up finding a lot of sterling weighted stuff. A lot of it is dented. As long as it's labeled as weighted, it's not misleading, just disappointing. I usually use the rule of thumb that the actual sterling weight is about 1/10th of the weight of the piece.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This:
20180211_142557.jpg

Becomes this:
20180223_171640.jpg

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
First... Gorham is one of the leading names in sterling collectables... SO... unless this piece is damaged / bad shape then "scraping" should be a last option.

Second... IF you are going to scrap it anyway... The piece should be dismantled... whatever crap is inside of it should be removed to maximize pay.

There are many times also a steel or other metal reinforcement "bar" / "rod" in these types of things... this also must be removed.

My suggestion to you would be to do a little homework and decipher the marks as to exact age etc... this and any piece like it can / could be worth WAY more "as is".

well the story is. there was only 1 and it was marked $19.99 and then when i saw it was stamped weighted ? i became hesitant ? and ya know i did'nt want to be pulling any so called triggers. but what do you think it would worth scrapped ? and being only 1 who only wants 1 Gorham candle stick holder ?

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so that weight at todays price what would that be ?

2 Troy Ounces @ Spot price $16.45 = $30.42 giving the 5% spread. Though there are sites out there giving only $9.82 an ounce a total rip.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the story is. there was only 1 and it was marked $19.99 and then when i saw it was stamped weighted ? i became hesitant ? and ya know i did'nt want to be pulling any so called triggers. but what do you think it would worth scrapped ? and being only 1 who only wants 1 Gorham candle stick holder ?

The person who wants only one candlestick is...

The person who only has one... or only one good one... OR the OTHER one to the one you have now. :)

Youd be surprised at "replacement" places desires.

Someone may be out there looking for it is all I am saying.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides... remember... these damage easily... someone very easily MAY be looking for a replacement.

Research it first before scrapping is the smart way to go on anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread