where to start? an enthusiast beginner prospector

Arthur Salomon

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I was wonder if anyone can direct me in how to practice “prospecting for minerals” actually, in the field. I did spent time trying to understand the basics of prospecting. Unfortunately I believe the land status can get a little confusing specialty with so much Federal Land around Maryland.
I live in Maryland and I was wonder if anyone knows a place where I can prospect just to have a feeling of it, for practice purposes (Just for clarification I’m not asking for your secret spot because, I do respect all the work the prospectors do!). I do not care if there is no crystals down there, I just want to get experience hands on digging and recognizing clues in the field that may direct me in the future to find my first own pocket!
So far I comprehend that you can prospect in National Forest with some exemptions. Even tough, all the most interesting topics are related to western states.
Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Arthur, and welcome to the forum! I would start by joining a prospecting club in your area. The Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) has chapters everywhere, and these men and women can help get you started at an accelerated pace. Second, don't rush out and spend a lot of money on equipment right away. Remember, 97% of weekend warriors NEVER pay for the gasoline it takes to travel between their claim and their home. Forget about the cash laid out for sluices; highbankers; drywashers; dredges; buckets; shovels; metal detectors; yadda-yadda-yadda.

Get a five gallon bucket and a Garrett Deluxe Gold Panning Kit https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/1651410_deluxe_gold_pan_kit_en.aspx a good shovel, and Join A Club! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread