The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, All,

My old Compass detector has given up the ghost and I am going to replace it. I have been a casual detectorist but, since my retirement, am getting more interested in the hobby. I have permissions to work four different old house sites (my main interest) and two or three times a year I go to the beach. I plan to spend between $400 - $700.

While I understand that everyone has his or her favorite machine, I’d like your ideas as to a good machine to buy with my hunting plans in mind.

Your opinions will be appreciated.

dute

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV with 9 inch spider coil
Contemplating getting an AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My husband and I have been detecting with the white prizm 4 that we picked up used from some friends in the past year, and are currently looking to upgrade to an AT Max. We have looked at a number of options in the 500-700 range and this one offers everything that we were looking for and more.

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in a similar situation. Having sold my XLT a few years ago I am looking forward to getting another machine pretty soon. The one thing I originally had to do was to make sure the device felt good while handling it. I didnt want something too heavy, I wanted an easy to read display, and a comfortable grip. It would be a pain in the butt to order something and then finding out there was something you didnt like about it. I found a dealer with a showroom and was able to look at a variety of makes and models as well as handling them to see what I liked the best. I like the Whites models but have taken an interest in Minelab also. Both have a nice variety of machines.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you really look into the Equinox by Minelab.
It is an all terrain machine and is supposed to be capable of handling salt water and wet sand. As the machine is slowly being released to the hobbyists,, the reviews have been fairly good.
The Equinox 600 sells for $650. & the Equinox 800 sells for $900.
Even if you decide not to go for the Equinox, once they hit the field full strength, there will be a sell off of goid used machines that are in good shape. Keep an eye on Tnet's classifies, or Craiglist & Ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help so far. I have a dealer nearby who carries several brands. I’ve played with the Garrett AT-Pro and the Minelab Equinox 600. I like both machines and think either would do what I want it to do. I’m just fighting with myself over single frequency vs. multiple. Right now, I’m leaning toward the Minelab.

Still interested in opinions and recommendations.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help so far. I have a dealer nearby who carries several brands. I’ve played with the Garrett AT-Pro and the Minelab Equinox 600. I like both machines and think either would do what I want it to do. I’m just fighting with myself over single frequency vs. multiple. Right now, I’m leaning toward the Minelab.

Still interested in opinions and recommendations.

If you are wanting to hunt in the surf the equinox will serve your needs way better there than a VLF machine like the AT Pro, and also inland. The AT Pro has a huge following, but there are deeper machines than the AT Pro in their price range. The Equinox is living up to the pre-launch hype. I am in Ohio, no where near salt water so my F75LTD suits my needs just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread