Would you buy from an ebay seller (or otherwise) who posted th following description?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably pass on that ad.

I really don't judge people by their spelling or writing since I'm also horrible at it. That ad just seems too set up. Like it was done on purpose! :laughing7:

It may be legit though! I guess if I was really serious about what they were selling I'd look at their feedback(mentioned a few posts back) other listings, location, and try to judge from that.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen just about as bad on this forum for spelling. I
'm thankful for spell check, and when it comes to sentence structure I get whipped.
Let's put it this way if we met in person and you slapped a thousand dollars on the table and said to give you an example of a verb, noun, adjective, and such-well I'd be beat from the get go.
It's a blank, couldn't tell you one example.

I've met folks that can't spell nor read very little, but they're very wise/smart in ways that no learning in a classroom could ever do, except the school of hard knocks.
You went to hard knocks too? Went there, then moved to Italy. Graduated from Whatsamatta U!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spelling & grammar doesn't really bother me all that much. That being said, I'd be more concerned if the seller found a really good way to turn a buck on all the junk he's dug from his back yard. Sittin round the poker table telling his buddies how he's selling baggies of junk for a couple hundred bucks a pop. Would be my worry.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
whale gimme sum of dim dare grits rite cheer rat now ya hear .long wif sum aggs n bizcuts wit sauceage gravy (can'y you speak backwoods / swamper /hillbilly /neckenese?) .. jus cuz one is not speling edjamacated don't mean one can't fine good stuf wif a dtecter ,,,,but I would give a hard look at the pictures of what he posted to ensure that he has a clue about what he is saying is legit and proper

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It does seem set up. Some people may be more likely to buy cus he is too stoopid to know wat hes got.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how the old "Hillbilly" con starts, the poor spelling, backwards letters on roadside signs, all on purpose to pull in people who think they are dealing with an ignorant person, who then proceeds to clean out the wallet of the truly gullible party that decides to take advantage of them. Caveat emptor!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing I bought from someone like that was fake and I should have known it going in. Got a refund, but waste of time.
Where I was raised, playing hillbilly stupid with or even stretching the truth with “yankees” while trying to get over on them was considered sport.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah the old take advantage of the dumb con game .... fruit stand sellers often know that ocd type folks and others will stop to "Nazi grammar" correct them on their spelling on their signs ...and while the correctors are stopped ...the stand runners will then hawk their fruits or other items ...many correctors will buy something ...so the fruit stand folks are not really so dumb after all are they?

collectorinfl

Greenie
Apr 8, 2018
Kissimmee, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can do is smile... I'm dyslexic. I have a very good vocabulary but can't spell... I have a very hard time with putting the letters in the right order. My Girlfriend is a special education teacher and has helped me a lot but I still have a lot of problems with it. The funny thing is for those of us who are history buffs there were no set spelling rules until Webster came out with his dictionary. Try reading a newspaper from even revolutionary times and you will find tons of misspelled words by our current standards. Between them not using a set spelling rules and the use of long s in many words (Looks like an f but is pronounced as an s as in George Wafhington) it can be hard to read old documents especially hand written ones. Just look at this will from my collection written in 1740 as an example:

164133062.jpg

164133064.jpg

my point is yes I would buy from this seller. Being a 53 year old who has a HARD time spelling myself it's hard for me to judge someone else.

Blair

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s someone pretending to be ignorant , why? Going through explanation of legality of finding it , no one asked, no whole thing stinks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread