Mexico GOLD

timsuss103

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks
Im currently in mexico with my motorcycle (xr650l), MD (garret at gold), Gold pan, and a bug that can be squished. Ive travelled from NY up to northern canada and through the western states with these 3 comrades. I have found some gold, but now, I am in a country that feels like a bit of a frontier. I have recently gone on an exploratory mission through southern sonora and western CHihuahua. Things sound promising. The narcos control the big placer fields that are producing 3-4 grams per day. Ive found a bit of a safer location with some keen locals. Now my question is, anyone have any experience down here? Im heading in again, for a two week trip, to build relations and do my first test pits on the largest river in sonora, the yaqui river. If i find some goods, I may need some help. Considering a home made dredge, or manpower on some higher banks. will see what comes up and will keep yall posted.
Cheers
Tim

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
start packing Red

OP
OP
T

timsuss103

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww you guys are cute... Do you gobble up everything cnn and fox throw your way about Mexico? Psa: this is just a joke I'm sure your strong tough men, it's just, Mexico isn't all that bad..

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aww you guys are cute... Do you gobble up everything cnn and fox throw your way about Mexico? Psa: this is just a joke I'm sure your strong tough men, it's just, Mexico isn't all that bad..

Hey timsuss, welcome. I am gonna step back now, and watch, after you poked at these two Hombres. Good luck in Ole Mexico.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sounds like a fun adventure your on. Enjoy your experiences which ultimately can be gold in themselves.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll pass on this, Tim. Strong tough men seem to just disappear down there as well. Do you know what the murder rate for Mexico is??

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stay off the highways at night and DO NOT stop to help anyone who appears broken down. That's how folks disappear

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me tell you a story about Mexico.

About fourty years ago when I was into spelunking three friends of mine went to Mexico for some spelunking. They went to a pit cave where they repelled down into it. When coming out, the first two were met by the Mexican police. They were arrested and ordered to pull up the rope. They tried to explain there was another guy down there and couldn't leave him. They wouldn't listen and hauled them to jail where they were charged with tresspassing and the murder of the guy left back there. Eventualy they were able to straighten things out and rescued their friend.

Apparently the mexican government has an over abundance of artifacts and stores them in caves. Must be spelunking is not allowed.

I wonder how they feel about us taking their gold?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim, you are insane. I know ex-special ops guys that would not be down there anywhere near the placer mining areas. Get back in to Arizona - Fast!:skullflag:

OP
OP
T

timsuss103

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just like to add. I have met someone here, who has developed into a good friend very quickly. He has been prospecting and selling goods in the sierra madres for 40 years. he is a canadian. He has had to run for his life 5 times. His heart is full of gold. If i come out of this experience with a little gold to keep me travelling, a little enrichment to the families that helped me, and a richer understanding of myself and the world. That is all i ask. It is definately risky, but so is living in america.. And the risk of losing my life to a 9-5 is more debilitating than losing my life to a narco. I respect your opinions to a point. But i also urge you to ask yourself, am i truly seeing a situation through my own eyes? or am i seeing it from a pre edited lens. i would say that a negative comment about mexico is presented not through personal experience, but through a set of ideas or experience protrayed by someone else.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

there's an old saying " let the man buckling on his sword not boast like the man unbuckling"
so tell us how safe it is when you get back

as far a tough guys, let me feed Red with three burritos and lock you in a closet with him, we'll see how tough you are!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like quite a time. It can't be more dangerous than where I live. I m in baltimore aka bodymorgue I think we just took first place in murders per capita last year and are on par to do it again. I've traveled in Mexico n Peru. Definitely pretty hairy. Best of luck n stay in one piece.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Im not one to spread rumors but I recently heard the the whole population of Mexico City was murdered.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me tell you a story about Mexico.

About fourty years ago when I was into spelunking three friends of mine went to Mexico for some spelunking. They went to a pit cave where they repelled down into it. When coming out, the first two were met by the Mexican police. They were arrested and ordered to pull up the rope. They tried to explain there was another guy down there and couldn't leave him. They wouldn't listen and hauled them to jail where they were charged with tresspassing and the murder of the guy left back there. Eventualy they were able to straighten things out and rescued their friend.

Apparently the mexican government has an over abundance of artifacts and stores them in caves. Must be spelunking is not allowed.

I wonder how they feel about us taking their gold?

That story needs repeating.
I was a member of a Grotto in Chicago.(Windy City Grotto) and a crew went to Mexico to repel Los Golandrenos(sp) Anyway it's a big hole that in about 1/4 mile deep. People will sky dive into it. Anyway the police , (or so they said) took all their gear and sent them on their way.
The States there can be very different.There can be a strong para-military presence in some places in the south. My neighbor goes to Mexico for months at a time and can't say enough about the place. Wants me to follow him down. We'll see. The closer to a tourist destination the better. I would probably mail any gold home. I don't know what mineral restrictions Mexico has but you might want to find out.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I will pass, I see enough Mexicans and hear enough Spanish and see enough Mexican flags here, (Northern California) that I could not see the sense in driving 7-800 miles down there to prospect, when 35 miles east of where I live, is where a lot of placer Gold has been found. Good luck!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A little bit of macho?
Here's some facts to chew on for those who are afraid of Mexico because of high murder rates.

Mexico has a murder rate of 21 per 100,000.

Baltimore has a murder rate of 56 per 100,000. More than twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Detroit has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

New Orleans has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Memphis has a murder rate of 31 per 100,000. Nearly 1.5 times the murder rate in Mexico.

All these U.S. cities have murder rates roughly equal to Mexico:

Charlotte

Chicago - duh

Indianapolis - Indiana :hello:

Las Vegas - what happens in Las Vegas...

Philadelphia

Tulsa

You really don't have to leave the country to prove how much of a man you are. Just visit your nearest metropolis. :thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little bit of macho?

You really don't have to leave the country to prove how much of a man you are. Just visit your nearest metropolis. :thumbsup:

You're missing a very large fact here. In Mexico, if you aren't a local Mexican you will stand out like a purple dinosaur. You will become the focal point of every crook, conman, and narco. If they think they can make a buck from conning you, robbing you, killing you, it's going to happen.

Once a gringo leaves the tourist path, all bets are off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread