Tesoro sand shark vs xterra705 maybe Garret ATX PI or equinox 800

Mar 29, 2018
SAN DIEGO
Detector(s) used
STILL LOOKING
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I. Have come to realize that. My budget is unrealistic for what I want to do. Opening the floodgates within reason.This brings me to the detectors mentioned. I understand that the Tesoro is a pi based machine and the xterra a VFLM machine. That they work differently. I think it will be one of these two. So I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Another question is the Tesoro tiger shark an update to the sand shark.

And let’s say I went bonkers and threw in the Garret atx PI as a consideration.say vs an equinox 800? Cost for the garret is 2100 and it is a PI machine vs the nox which can be had for less than 1/2 but is a VLF M (multi frequency machine ) and bsed upn the reports I rea dcan be tuned to use in highly mineralized soils.
Your thoughts?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly use a range of detectors, but for dirt digging switch between the CTX and Tesoro Tejon.

With the multi-frequencies of the CTX, I have NEVER had a problem wading through highly mineralized soils. I can't say that about the Tejon, but I still love using that very uncomplicated machine. I'm much, much slower with the CTX. Just realize that if you take multi-frequency machines seriously, you'll be slower than with beep & dig machines.

Love my CTX, but I did place myself on a waiting list for the EQ800. My hunting buddy swings a Tiger Shark while I swing an Excal - it's merely all about getting the coil over the target - I view them as essentially equal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I. Have come to realize that. My budget is unrealistic for what I want to do. Opening the floodgates within reason.This brings me to the detectors mentioned. I understand that the Tesoro is a pi based machine and the xterra a VFLM machine. That they work differently. I think it will be one of these two. So I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Another question is the Tesoro tiger shark an update to the sand shark.

And let’s say I went bonkers and threw in the Garret atx PI as a consideration.say vs an equinox 800? Cost for the garret is 2100 and it is a PI machine vs the nox which can be had for less than 1/2 but is a VLF M (multi frequency machine ) and bsed upn the reports I rea dcan be tuned to use in highly mineralized soils.
Your thoughts?

What is it that you want to detect, and where? The Tesoro Sand Shark (Pulse Induction) is built for saltwater use (wet saltwater sand, and in the water to 200' in depth. It does NOT discriminate, so it is a one beep, dig everything machine. The Tiger Shark is a Freshwater (single-freq VLF) machine for lakes, rivers, creeks and streams. Your best bet for an "All-Around" machine that can hunt anywhere, is the Minelab Equinox.:skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we would need to know what you are going to be looking for. There is no one perfect machine for everything, but there are a lot of multipurpose machines available. Terry is correct on the PI machines, and the price range is important also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra is not a saltwater machine, buy a Minelab Equinox 600, your going to get tired digging tiny pieces of iron.

OP
OP
G
Mar 29, 2018
SAN DIEGO
Detector(s) used
STILL LOOKING
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold nuggets in mineralized soil and maybe creeks is my primary. Followed by beach. Coins jewelry etc. my understanding was the Tesoro Sand Shark is a pi macnine doesn’t discriminate but can handle mineralized soils and the beach.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold nuggets in mineralized soil and maybe creeks is my primary. Followed by beach. Coins jewelry etc. my understanding was the Tesoro Sand Shark is a pi macnine doesn’t discriminate but can handle mineralized soils and the beach.

Yes, the Sand Shark is great for wet saltwater sand and water but, not good for gold nugget shooting. The Minelab Equinox 800 is $200.00 more, and can hunt gold nuggets AND the beach - as well as parks, farm fields, and anyplace else you want to hunt. :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
  • jones 096.jpg
    jones 096.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 109
  • jones 082.jpg
    jones 082.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leaning towards the mine labs 800. But I hear the xterra is also very good thoughts?

Yes, it is a great machine, but is worthless on a wet saltwater sand beach. You will also need to buy additional coils to use the different freqs the machine offers (gold nuggets vs parks, fields), so it is expensive. No one will buy the xTerra 705 now that the Equinox has been released. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread