Went out detecting today to a MID 1800's home site

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i found was a later model Crowbar, A BUNCH of Zinc jar lids and a WHOLE LOT of canning jars !! I have some very rusted machinery pars i need to clean up. Hope you enjoy the pictures !!!

IMG_3198.jpg IMG_3201.JPG

I also almost forgot My digging dog partner max found FIVE SNAKES !! Yes there out in Ohio Be careful .
IMG_3205.JPG

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you are getting out Gare. :icon_thumright: I finally got permission for a house I've been wanting to hit for over a year. I did not produce much, oldest coin was a 1938 Wheat. I believe they lifted this house a dig a basement sometime in the past. I bet the older stuff is too deep for my machine. I pulled a few cool items though.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More find not very well cleaned . IMG_3207.JPG ----- IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3209.JPG IMG_3210.JPG There must be 100 unbroken jars in that basement. Are they worth anything ? The last two pictures i have no ideaMaybe a hood Ornment or a refrigerator door handle ? aNY HINTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Gare. Treasure hunting is not just about finding old coins and jewelry. Some of my worst coin-finding days were still productive and satisfying because of relics I found and saved from further deterioration. In answer to your question, yes, old canning jars are worth money and depending on their rarity, can be worth quite a bit.
~Texas Jay

https://www.littlethings.com/valuing-mason-jars/

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
It looks like a nice spot to hunt...maybe the path to the outhouse..maybe the clothesline...maybe the bsmt?...I would have taken as many jars as I could!!!!:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep working the area, I bet there is goodies to be had with some hard work!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gare keep checking the jars. When I was a kid I was digging a garden for my mom when I hit a mason canning jar that was full of old Canadian coins. In the old days people didn’t trust banks so they would bury the money usually on the south east corner of the house or barn because that’s the side that would receive the least amount of snow in the winter. Just in case they needed the money it would not be hard to find. Keep that crowbar. Congrats and go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread