All Treasure Hunting

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Deftone - I have thought the same thing before about spam type posting in older threads.
If folks want a great example example of how excessive posts on older threads can unfairly bury a newer one, see Today’s Finds; There are a few threads that were started this morning which already have a a page and a half (80+ threads) in front of them, making it pretty easy for them to be effectively lost, which isn’t very nice to to the poster.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but there is not a problem with our rules when a member comments on items posted several days ago. Page count can be set to display up to 50 threads/posts in your settings, maybe yours is set too low.

Also thread does not belong in "What Is It" forum. it is not a find or item.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Today I witnessed over a whole page get wiped out. Can someone teach (sutphin < lower case...) That spamming and not contributing anything hinders our efforts. Bumbping old stuff and leaving newer stuff to maybe not have a chance to be seen. Then stuff like Misnomer. Cmon.

It seemed obvious to me that someone wanted something off the first page but, as already mentioned, no rules infraction.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bump whatever you want up some. No biggie. It will soon be way down on the list anyway.

I'm just surprised some days stuff I posted months ago surfaces.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Sorry but there is not a problem with our rules when a member comments on items posted several days ago. Page count can be set to display up to 50 threads/posts in your settings, maybe yours is set too low.

Also thread does not belong in "What Is It" forum. it is not a find or item.
Correct, no broken rule and in the wrong forum, but I’m glad it was brought up for discussion, and that it started in the forum that it was effecting at that time (now it’s the Today’s Finds). My setting is set to 50 threads/page, and that is why 80+ such posts have moved threads like the ones below, which although started this morning are now on the lower half of the Second page. I haven’t in this past made comment, since I realize it doesn’t clearly break any rule. It just seems almost rude enough to those whose threads get lost that it shouldn’t be allowed.
This one had 1 comment before being stuffed out of sight:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576746-third-trip-farm-house-gets-second-silver.html
this one had 0 comments
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576723-more-seattle-silver.html

So, anyway, it’s just feedback for consideration, and is not a complaint about the moderators who have always done a great job.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sort of thing happens on another detecting forum I moderate on from time to time.

Just this morning when checking new posts there were several pages on our General section by the same member "welcoming" newer members to the forum.

This particular member does this from time to time and we are used to it. Not really an issue, except it pushes other threads way down.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
all threads are not read or commented on evenly -- there is no "you showed up and posted medal" here ...I myself had post that many read but no one put a single reply to ....lurkers 101 ...get the info ..give nana in return

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, no broken rule and in the wrong forum, but I’m glad it was brought up for discussion, and that it started in the forum that it was effecting at that time (now it’s the Today’s Finds). My setting is set to 50 threads/page, and that is why 80+ such posts have moved threads like the ones below, which although started this morning are now on the lower half of the Second page. I haven’t in this past made comment, since I realize it doesn’t clearly break any rule. It just seems almost rude enough to those whose threads get lost that it shouldn’t be allowed.
This one had 1 comment before being stuffed out of sight:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576746-third-trip-farm-house-gets-second-silver.html
this one had 0 comments
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576723-more-seattle-silver.html

So, anyway, it’s just feedback for consideration, and is not a complaint about the moderators who have always done a great job.

So yours is set to 50, no problem, didn't think you were complaining about mods. From what I saw it was comments on something posted couple days ago and ones I saw was were in the "what is it" forum unless they were moved there. Ones in today finds are comments on posts made last couple days.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Several hours later now, the two threads cited above are now on the third page.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take Spam with me when a hunting I do go. I've been so hungry I've even sucked the gel out of the can.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I witnessed this behavior on a different forum that I look in on. One member constantly bumped a lot of threads, attempting to get his post count up which pissed many members off because newer posts were pushed out of sight. This created a posting war...lol. There were about 30 members that just started bumping the threads that they wanted to see on page 1, it went on for about two weeks. The site owner finally shut it down by instituting the "thread capping" rule. And to this day, the Mods on that site still use the rule to delete generic postings such as "nice find", "good job", etc., etc. Matter of fact, the site did away with post counts as well. Solved a lot of problems.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Threadcapping
Going through threads on a forum and posting nothing of relevance to the thread.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... The site owner finally shut it down by instituting the "thread capping" rule. And to this day, the Mods on that site still use the rule to delete generic postings such as "nice find", "good job", etc., etc..

LOL, that would eliminate 90+% of posts on TNET!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread