Adding patina back to brass button

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking for hints, suggestions, etc. for tried and true methods for adding the patina back to a brass button you may have over cleaned. I know the best method, SLOW DOWN AND STOP OVERCLEANING =), but I am unfortunately past that point. The eagle "D" cuff button I found today HAD a beautiful black color to it, complete with shank. Unfortunately, during the tooth picking, the black has gave way to the brown underneath, and the details are harder now to see than they were. It's in really good shape, and the details are all still there, just hard to see. Please help!!

20180502_165459.jpg

Here's the back. It's a 2 piece button.
20180502_165507.jpg

Also, if anyone has an insight as to the model year, I am trying to see what the back says yet...

Last edited:
OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess i should also ask, is it even possible to do what I am asking?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
complete with erect shank and all

Can't help you, but maybe you should change this to "full shank"! Just sounds better to me!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't help you, but maybe you should change this to "full shank"! Just sounds better to me!

Thanks for the advice, maybe that's the reason for the crickets on the question.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it outside and bury it. Come back in 100 years and it will be as good as the day you found it!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look on ancient coin sites, they have stuff for repatina of coins which should work

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look on ancient coin sites, they have stuff for repatina of coins which should work

Thank you. If chemicals are the way to go, i will have to look into it. It's a really pretty button and i hate to see it like this.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a friend, who happens to be in Wisconsin, who does copper roof. He uses a mixture of red wine vinager and table salt to match new roof to old. I don't know the ratio or how it works. It might work on brass too?

Only one way to find out. You might want to experiment on a piece of brass that is disposable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a friend, who happens to be in Wisconsin, who does copper roof. He uses a mixture of red wine vinager and table salt to match new roof to old. I don't know the ratio or how it works. It might work on brass too?

Only one way to find out. You might want to experiment on a piece of brass that is disposable.

Thank you for a more natural remedy. I will research this method, and post the results for sure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't right but all I could think of was spray paint. I have no clue how to put a patina back on something. I didn't think it was possible to get it right.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't right but all I could think of was spray paint. I have no clue how to put a patina back on something. I didn't think it was possible to get it right.

Adding a patina definitely isn't right. Learning how to properly clean something is right. I just haven't screwed up enough beautiful artifacts yet to know how to do it right. :icon_thumleft:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I read somewhere about taking the yolk from a hard boiled egg, and put it in a jar with the object. The sulphur from the yolk will put tarnish back on the item.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere about taking the yolk from a hard boiled egg, and put it in a jar with the object. The sulphur from the yolk will put tarnish back on the item.

I plan to try this this weekend. I will post the results.....

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try Liver of Sulfur. It is good for putting a patina back on. You can find it at a jewelry supply store or online. If you use it water it down and try it on something else first.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C_S - Here's my two cents... Leave it as it is.

I'm guessing that you are the only one who knows how it looked when it came out of the ground and you will never be able to recreate that look.

If you're just going to put it in a display to show to friends and neighbors, I promise you that 99.99% of them won't know how it should look and NO ONE will ever say, "Oh, I see you over cleaned your Dragoon cuff button!"

Learn from it and go dig another one.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brass black, made by Birchwood Casey. Amazon will have it. Liver of Sulphur works good on silver, but not sure about brass. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread