Need Help Identifying St. Patrick Farthing - New Member

May 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wasn't a metal detecting find, but part of a lot I recently acquired. I purchased a box of Older World Coins, which included some late 1880s-1920s French, Canadian, British, etc. coins. At the bottom of the container was an envelope with three coins in it, none of which I had ever seen before. I have identified 2 of the 3 as genuine Ancient Roman Coins (One Bronze Galerius from 305-311 AD and the other a silver medieval Venice coin). The third coin is what appears to be a St. Patrick Farthing. I need help identifying whether it is genuine or a copy. I'm not convinced it's genuine, however, it does not have a seam on the edge like most copies do and it appears to be made of pewter or some other like metal. It is darker in color and is NOT magnetic. However, the picture looks a little grainy and there is only a very faint trace of the reeded edge.

Appreciate all input! Many thanks from a new member.

image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has all the traits of a cast replica, the seam is often filed off. It should be made of copper with a brass splash at the crown. I would say it is almost certainly a fake.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has all the traits of a cast replica, the seam is often filed off. It should be made of copper with a brass splash at the crown. I would say it is almost certainly a fake.

+ 1

Poorly defined in every detail. In my opinion pitting is from poor casting or moisture in the mould.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread