Looking for a detector as a casual detector hobbyist

hiyall

May 1, 2018
indiana, united states
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 150, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really looking at getting a fisher f75. I currently have a Garrett ace 150.

What kind of improvements would this have over the ace 150? Why not just stick with the ace 150 when it seems to work just fine?

Or would you have any other suggestions?

What I read and like about the fisher f75 is that it is back lit, reads targets at a deeper depth, and the scale that helps you identify what it is in the ground.

What I like from a detector is good iron discrimination. I like to dig everything I get a beep on currently

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with an el-cheapo TC-1023 since I didn't know if the hobby was for me. It had 3 tones and the bug bit me hard. That machine paid for itself in 60 days. I knew that I wanted more depth than the 8" concentric coil could get me. I upgraded to a slightly used Fisher F4 since I wanted the ability to notch, see target ID numbers, and it came stock with the 9" x 11" DD coil. The F4 did go deeper and it paid for itself in a few months. I ran into a deal on a Fisher F75LTD (I wanted more depth and dreamed of using the Boost process). The gentleman had to leave the hobby due to health reasons. I rarely use the boost process except to get a better target ID on an iffy deep signal. I could probably be happy with the stock F75 especially the newer DST models. They come with a new process (FA Mode) it is great for trashier areas especially using the 5" DD or nel sharpshooter coil. I've been using the F75LTD for 4 seasons and still love the machine. It can hit a dime or copper penny at 9-9.5 inches and quarters at 12". The machine does run hot and many try to run it at max sensitivity. I normally run it at 65 in town and do just fine. I run it at about 90 when I am in a rural environment. Like all machines it will false on ruts and weed stalks, you will get used to it and if you double check your targets with an X-pattern sweep you will not chase ghost signals. You are getting into the hobby at a great time since Fisher lowered their prices to stay competitive. The F75 goes crazy deep even at zero sensitivity. Just know that when you get it and mess up with some settings you can do a factory reset. You can even switch through 7 frequencies to quiet the machine down if you run into EMI issues. I am primarily a coin shooter and run it in 3 or 3H tones. The 3H tone setting rings in nickels with a high tone. Good targets normally ring it with a tight target ID that may vary by one or 2 numbers. I recommend you watch these 2 reviews.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to buy one used for $350 to $400 especially if it comes with covers and multiple coils.

OP
OP
H

hiyall

May 1, 2018
indiana, united states
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a first gen Fisher f75 for $340 total. I looked into the se and ltd but I didn't want to spend an extra 150 or more for it because the few extra features didn't stand out to me too much

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used the first gen F75 for years. It was noisy, but ran better that way. The F75 will run on low sens, sensitivity is not a volume adjust. I did upgrade, and enjoy the BP or boost mode. I have three coils for mine and use all three. I share my dig time between 3 detectors so usually just run stock coil for now. I use the F75 in the park, and hunt tot lots mostly as its quick and easy hunts. Make sure you read the manual a few times. For better performance ground balance the all-metal side first then ground balance the discriminate side. Some settings effect the other side of the screen. My settings is JE mode, Disc 4, Notch 0 or 1, 2 tones. Now my F75 is a coin magnet. I always find small pieces of jewelry. There is a learning curve but plenty of videos to help that also. Don't wrap your coil cord too tight, or bang rocks with your coil. These are mistakes I made with mine. Also not recommended to leave in car during summer months. F75 is also very easy on battery's and doesn't suffer performance issues when they start getting low. I always use covers, don't like looking at a scratched screen and scuffed coil. You have a feature that allows you look for moved dirt or hollowed out ground. That is my favorite feature, but only useful for cache hunting. I always like to put a dime under rocks of different thickness, that will will give you a true depth for cache hunts. I have dug coins at 16 inches. The detector said 16 and it was 16 inches. Depth is not always correct on the VDI. Once you learn to use the VDI with the sound you will not dig trash. If this sounds like a lot, I haven't even touched on the functions. One function is pushing the red button/selector, you can switch between modes from DE to your hunt mode. Adjustments are easy and you can switch back and forth between all metal and disc as you need to check targets. You got a really good deal at that price, I have over a grand invested in mine not including coils. Steer clear of power lines and cell phone towers, but that will explain itself. The F75 is very sensitive and emi is a factor. If you hunt trash, find a small coil for it. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

hiyall

May 1, 2018
indiana, united states
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used the first gen F75 for years. It was noisy, but ran better that way. The F75 will run on low sens, sensitivity is not a volume adjust. I did upgrade, and enjoy the BP or boost mode. I have three coils for mine and use all three. I share my dig time between 3 detectors so usually just run stock coil for now. I use the F75 in the park, and hunt tot lots mostly as its quick and easy hunts. Make sure you read the manual a few times. For better performance ground balance the all-metal side first then ground balance the discriminate side. Some settings effect the other side of the screen. My settings is JE mode, Disc 4, Notch 0 or 1, 2 tones. Now my F75 is a coin magnet. I always find small pieces of jewelry. There is a learning curve but plenty of videos to help that also. Don't wrap your coil cord too tight, or bang rocks with your coil. These are mistakes I made with mine. Also not recommended to leave in car during summer months. F75 is also very easy on battery's and doesn't suffer performance issues when they start getting low. I always use covers, don't like looking at a scratched screen and scuffed coil. You have a feature that allows you look for moved dirt or hollowed out ground. That is my favorite feature, but only useful for cache hunting. I always like to put a dime under rocks of different thickness, that will will give you a true depth for cache hunts. I have dug coins at 16 inches. The detector said 16 and it was 16 inches. Depth is not always correct on the VDI. Once you learn to use the VDI with the sound you will not dig trash. If this sounds like a lot, I haven't even touched on the functions. One function is pushing the red button/selector, you can switch between modes from DE to your hunt mode. Adjustments are easy and you can switch back and forth between all metal and disc as you need to check targets. You got a really good deal at that price, I have over a grand invested in mine not including coils. Steer clear of power lines and cell phone towers, but that will explain itself. The F75 is very sensitive and emi is a factor. If you hunt trash, find a small coil for it. Good luck.

I like the 11 inch DD coil. I like the idea of covering large amounts of grounds quickly. I may in the future try the 5 inch concentric coil. I don't rush though. I sweep while over lapping my last path. I printed a manual and ran through it. It definitely will take some time getting use to the features. Just got to go at it slowly and tinker with the settings here and there when im not getting the performance I like. There is a civil war (1812) grounds I have plans on going detecting at. Most of it was bulldozed and a golf course was built over it. The war involved "the white man" and the Indians. They were heading north. Just north of the golf course where they sat up a fort is a wooded area untouched. This is where I will detect. Obviously the golf course is off limits.

What settings would you use in a situation like this? All metal mode with nothing disc? That was my plan

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owners manual > https://mans.io/files/viewer/666998/1
A Great MD at a Great price....Teknetics Liberator.!:) Set at sens 6 and manual ground at "00 it will keep you busy digging :) 087.JPG
Stuff from my last beach trip.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Civil war 1812 grounds? Civil war was not in 1812. The War of 1812 was in 1812.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread