I have an offer on an ancient Athens coin should I take it?

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I have an offer on this coin for 125$ and despite the case saying that price it may be very inaccurate it was down years ago. I couldn’t find this exact coin online. What is this coin worth? The description for the picture hopefully is good enough but if you need better pictures let me know. Thanks guys
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526218572.970099.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526218591.221877.jpg

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply search Tegea Arkadia coin, lots of results including some prices.....Joe McDonough

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never sold a find. But hey that's just me, the only way I would is if my children were starving.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I tried doing research on it but I can’t find the exact coin. I found the observe with a different reverse. I want to make sure I know exactly what I have before I do anything with it

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is often difficult to find recorded exact die-matches for ancient coins, as many different dies and die-set combinations were made and used. It looks "substantially similar" to the recorded/documented examples so if it were mine I'd happily sell it for the 125 (assuming it was obtained for less), though being more of an opportunistic "good deal" collector than an Aspergers-fueled Classical numismatic researcher I could be overlooking something. The bronzes do seem more rare than the small silver fractions from Tegea, and owls are a very popular subject matter for ancient coinage, which seems to drive prices for such coins rather higher than their similarly scarce but differently decorated brethren, so my hunch is that the 125.00 offer may be coming from just such an owl collector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread