Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sharpening Digging Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    428 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Sharpening Digging Tools

How many here sharpen your digging tools whet ever they be ? I know i DO !!! Itry and keep mine VERY SHARP !!
    Last edited by Gare; Jun 12, 2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    Iberville Parish, Louisiana
    Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max / Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    236 times
    Havent done mine yet, but have been considering doing so for a while now.
    I imagine it makes quite a difference.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sunny San Diego, California
    Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    That was the first thing I did when I got a trowel, put an edge on it!

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    428 times
    Digging in the Dirt is not as important for cutting through ROOTS
    buck8point and GA_Boy like this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1472 times
    For shovel and Trowel types I use a grinder or file.
    For Knife and probe I use a Diamond Sharpener set from Harbor Freight. 380, 260, or 120 Grit.
    For roots a Drywall saw is OK----------just break odd the first 1-2 inches, if needed, https://images.homedepot-static.com/...compressed.jpg of the tip so it won't be too flimsy.

Marvin
    The Wife says that I'm lazy.
    I
    tell her that I'm conserving energy.
    Beep, Beep.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    2540 times
    Sharp tools are a joy to use. I sharpen wood working tools, but I've never took a file to a spade. What techniques do you use, Gare?
    Democracy as the core of government is generally favored by physically and mentally weak individuals who would rather identify themselves as a part of a group than as an individual and who are unwilling to compete in a free market because they see themseves incapable of succeeding in fair competition.

But, a group has no more God given Rights than any one individual. In God We Trust.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1472 times
    A vice if needed.
    Marvin
    I
    Beep, Beep.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    6380 times
    The Truth
    Not much point in putting a sharp edge on digging tools.First time it's shoved into dirt the edge is gone.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    2540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    Not much point in putting a sharp edge on digging tools.First time it's shoved into dirt the edge is gone.
    A brand new axe will come from the factory about as dull as a doorknob. Its likely that its the same with spades. I would guess if a spade were filed on only one side like a wood chisel, but at a steep angle like a cold chisel you wouldn't have the edge fold easily as if it were sharp like a knife. But i have never tried sharpening my gold prospecting spades . . I don't have a MD, I'm arecreational panner.

As far as stainless trowel spades, don't bother sharpening stainless. Just scratch the part of the tip that folded over off on a rock. That'll be as sharp as it'll ever get.
    Democracy as the core of government is generally favored by physically and mentally weak individuals who would rather identify themselves as a part of a group than as an individual and who are unwilling to compete in a free market because they see themseves incapable of succeeding in fair competition.

But, a group has no more God given Rights than any one individual. In God We Trust.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    6380 times
    The Truth
    Stainless sucks point blank lol.Stainless is pretty brittle.Stainless blades snap fairly easy.

us
    family man

Mar 2016
    S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor. PM me!
    Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
    357 times
    Metal Detecting
    Small grinder and YES, put a quick fairly sharp bevel to the edge. Large improvement.

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    428 times
    I keep mine sharp and when it comes to roots i like to make short work of them.
    Some times i use a bench grinder or Disc grinder. Some times i use a file. But when it comes to cutting roots you will be happy you sharpened them

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1472 times
    Depends on the metal it's made of and how well it was tempered.
    Marvin
    I
    Beep, Beep.

us
    Apr 2018
    Central Alabama
    Minelab Safari
    327 times
    Anyone that thinks putting an edge on a digger is pointless has never done it. You don’t want it sharp enough to shave with, that would indeed get dull very quickly. But the edge that came on my garret digger was terrible. I used a grinder with a fairly worn out flap wheel on it and it worked perfect. I reprofiled the edge and the tip and it made a big difference.
    FreeBirdTim and Duckshot like this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    2540 times
    Stainless sucks point blank lol.Stainless is pretty brittle.Stainless blades snap fairly easy.
    I got a few stainless steel knives. They are much softer than my tool steel knives and the stainless edge will fold over rather than breaking. A folded edge is more blunt and worthless than a dull steel blade.

I have found that bades that rust stay sharp much longer and under harder use than stainless. But, steel takes longer to sharpen than stainless. You can rub the folded edge off a stainless trowel with a rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links