I need help to identify this artifact

STUDEM

Greenie
Jul 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180703_125300~2.jpg
20180703_125349.jpg 20180703_125326.jpg

I found this near a really old house. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Any ideas are highly appreciated.

tjb200

Jun 16, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Looks like a belt buckle of some sort. What is the age of the house?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the top to a cosmetic compact.:hello2:

OP
OP
S

STUDEM

Greenie
Jul 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you send me an example of one made during mid 1800's?

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
From the pictures provided, I can't see any type of hinge. A picture of the back would help.

OP
OP
S

STUDEM

Greenie
Jul 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a picture of the back of the artifact. It is the one on the bottom right. There is some kind of impression of the decorative design.

ffazis

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an artifact at my grandpa's property. I was sure about its worth and tried to find a way to identify it. The most helpful platform to do that appeared to be publicarcheology.com

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember we do not allow links to treasure sites that allows comments on finds, blogs are allowed as long as comments are not allowed.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Can you give the dimensions and possibly the material its made from? Is it heavy? Any rusting? Patina?

It could be a part of a light fixture where like panel were on the column.

May 16, 2018
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nautilus, Garrett, Carrot, Mi-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a Tin lid from Swan, may want to check it out.

Swan Filter Tips and Rolling Papers
Swan is a well established brand within the rolling tobacco market. Originally formed in 1883 they were well known for their Matches which tended to burn better in the open air and are branded under Swan Vestas Matches which are reputably the best selling matches in the UK. Swan are also well know for high quality filter tips which are available from ultra slims to standard filter tips giving the user a wide choice of filter tips to use. They also do a range of rolling papers as well as lighters.

OP
OP
S

STUDEM

Greenie
Jul 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The object is 2 inches long on each side and appears to be made out of stamped/pressed tin. It is very light and thin with a small curvature. There is some rust and no patina. I have seen another one with some patina on the oject.

I am pretty sure the artifact dates back to the mid-late 1800's.

Miranda1

Apr 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cerambycidae, longhorned beetle, longicorns, capricorns, round-headed borers, timber beetles, goat beetles (bock-käfern), or sawyer beetles, Most adult cerambycids, particularly the brightly colored ones, feed on flowers but there are many spieces so i will have to take some time to look thru all the photo till i find it wish me luck.

see site
next time please state their size and area found, for Across the U.S. and Canada, they vary from (size)3mm to 60 mm
and About 1000 species occur in the US and Canada(many others all over the world, with over 20,000 species )
PS : they have wings under their wing cover. The adults are common visitors to flowers, feeding on pollen or nectar. The larvae feed on the moist dead wood of various trees and various human artifacts, the latter including wooden poles, cross-ties, and fences that are not treated with insect-resistant chemicals.May be try to find a site in your bedroom for it young HA HA HA!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am voting for something Terry S is thinking. Maybe the top of a snuff canister ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread