Maybe I Think Too Much - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Maybe I Think Too Much

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, 720i Stealth Scoop
    7072 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The Toxic finds are located on the bottom of my flip flops (tar) after detecting the SoCal Beaches.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1330 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I once found an item that looked like a wrist watch with metal straps. Turns out (as far as i can tell) it was a very old device that wraps around a railway line that explodes (minor explosion) when a train runs over it. Not so dangerous but interesting.

chub
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4384 times
    I have found enough UXO's for one lifetime. I once walked into the mouth of a cave and could not get further than 20 feet without gasping for air. Not sure what was displacing the oxygen. I could see some drums with my flashlight about 30 feet further inside.

Navy round unexploded
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1617600

Thermite Bomb-let
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	1617601
    Kray Gelder and chub like this.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    5287 times
    If you find a piece of lead that has been laying around a while it might have a white-powder layer of oxide on it which though as delicious as sugar-free sweetener might result in having kids with three thumbs if ingested.

Lead oxides are dense but pretty friable and can become airborne Keep it wet with misted water or oil if you are throwing it around. Wash your hands frequently, and make sure you got enough iron in you. The reason a body absorbs heavy metals is partly because it can't distinguish crap like lead from iron.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Charter Member
    us
    Well reasoned and delightfully brutal

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    1542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringtyer View Post
    That said, I was thinking about the stuff I find when out treasure hunting and got to wondering: have any of y'all ever found anything seriously toxic or radioactive or in some other way dangerous? If so, when did you make the discovery of the danger and were there any negative outcomes?
    I wouldn't expect anything dangerously radioactive to turn up while detecting, but the fact of the matter is that most people wouldn't know if they had found something...unless they received enough of a dose to give them symptoms requiring hospitalization, and at that point you're already in trouble.

Toxic, though...yeah, I hit a bad patch in Silverdale about ten years ago. The plants didn't grow correctly, there were nails everywhere, and there was a fine, even layer of charcoal and ash under the soil. It made me somewhat sick for a day or two. I'm not sure what had burned down back there, but at a guess I'd say that it had been a meth lab at some point. Or maybe previous owners had a shed out there that they were storing all of their household hazmat in and it burned. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post

As a Experimental Physicist specializing in the inner workings of the atom, I was working with radioactive elements for many years; very interesting stuff! As a older and somewhat wiser man, I hope my life on this beautiful planet will not be shortened by such research.
    Your life may have actually been extended by your research. Are you familiar with radiation hormesis? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis All of the facts are not in yet on this theory, but speaking strictly from anecdotal evidence, I think that there is something to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringtyer View Post
    In all my years working around nuclear power plants and with radioactive materials, I picked up less dose than I did flying from North Carolina to Seattle or by working near the coal pile at a fossil fired power plant. To be exact, I was not allowed to take my TLD with me when I went to a coal-fired plant. Let's not speak of the granite buildings in DC.
    We are not allowed to fly with our TLD's for that reason. I've wondered how the airlines handle radiation exposure for their employees. I've never seen one wearing any kind of dosimetry (and I look, and I know what to look for), but it's possible that they hide them or something. The airlines are remarkably tight-lipped about this topic and I don't blame them for it. The average American knows just enough about radiation to be afraid of it, but not enough to know when to be afraid of it.

(And for you non-radiation workers out there: yes, you will pick up a measurable dose on any flight that goes up to high altitudes. No, you don't need to worry about it. It might even be good for you.)
    Stringtyer likes this.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

Aug 2018
    3 times
    I appreciate your knowledge dear, My younger brother perusing mechanical engineering and I read this books regarding negative energy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links