Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, all. I have a general question about a spot I hunted for the first time in NW CT. Now a state forest, it was farmed at one time (as almost all New England was). I was following a small spring upstream on the side of a hill and came upon a milk house? Two walls were capped with concrete, the other two were laid stone only. Total area was maybe 6 or 7 feet by 4 feet).Probably 3 feet deep from the land surface to the water. Although it was collapsed, it appeared to have one plank floor just above the water level of the spring and a second floor at ground level, leaving a shelf height of about 3 feet. Some scattered tar paper in the area leads me to belive it wasn't all that old. What do you think? Spring house - milk house ? It was not readily accesible to the old road bed about 150' away and was on the side of a hill. Another 25' upstream was a stone lined well, about 4' wide. Water depth in the well (measured using a broken tree limb was abour 5 - 5&1/2 feet). Unusual to have these two things in such close proximity to one another? I followed the stream up hill for aways (as far as my screaming hips would allow) and could not locate any cellar holes, outhouses, etc., so it doesn't appear to have been associated with a home site. I also didn't find any broken milk bottles or old mik cans, as I would expect if it had been a milk house. I'll take pictures when I go back out there.

For those of you who know, how long would a milkhouse like this keep the milk from spoiling?

Thanks for the help.
HH
dts

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been used for both.
Cooling the milk before transporting it could be done in a springhouse.
Water temp . (back then) would have factored in how long perishables would last.
Daily processing of milk if not transported would have most be fine.

I have seen a couple creeks with cement short walls of small dimension with no structures indicated near them.
Relay points to rechill on the way maybe???

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been used for both.
Cooling the milk before transporting it could be done in a springhouse.
Water temp . (back then) would have factored in how long perishables would last.
Daily processing of milk if not transported would have most be fine.

I have seen a couple creeks with cement short walls of small dimension with no structures indicated near them.
Relay points to rechill on the way maybe???

Thanks, your information certainly makes sense. I'll try to get back soon to see what might have been tossed into the well, maybe do some magnet fishing there too.
HH
dts

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And it could have been where some sort of alcohol was made way back when. Just another option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread