danemark

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, Our local news station ran a story today on a local detecting expert who got exclusive rights to detect a very large (100 acres) historic piece of property. While I absolutely love the hobby, seeing a person speaking on the news about how great it is and showing the cool old coins and such made me recoil a bit. I wonder how many people will now get the itch and go dig themselves some cool stuff too. If they are responsible and respectful folks, welcome aboard. I worry much more about how many dug up/unfilled holes in parks and schools follow news stories like I saw today. Is it better for the hobby to be in the spotlight or quietly doing its own thing? Thanks much.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry, dig happy.:occasion14:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see why ypu would be concerned. Many hobbies\obsessions can suddenly attract interest and hordes who simply rush in and give a hobby a bad name by being obnoxious. One might think the cost of getting in might stay some but consider resin ball-jointed dolls. The best quality ran into hundreds of dollars but this did not stop many teen girls from jumping on the bandwagon for a time. This was clearly an affectation for so many. With demand came cheap Chinese knock-offs of the truly artistic dolls from Japan and South Korea. Companies sprang up and also vanished.
As far as MD goes it is a fact one has to get dirty so there is a big obstacle for some. Other types of treasure hunting is far easier to begin. I did not realize I have been treasure hunting my whole life. I love old things. I love their dignity and elegance.
The old timers here can speak to whether there has been a boom period in the MD aspect. I know we had a time when everyone had a flea market and everyone believed their old crap was near priceless but it seems to have settled a little.
You never know what will cause these booms in a hobby. Well, there is the get-rich-quick factor.
You might see a jump in people out for a time based on the news report. No telling.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't detect but I can testify that after Duck Dynasty came on air the marsh got a lot more hunters and to be perfectly blunt the ones that don't know what they are doing were jazzing up the dekes and the calling too much and flaring birds from miles around. The good news is most of the neophytes seem to have given up quick.

You might get a storm of competition, or not. Just got ride it out no matter.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bingo Duckshot! Newbie's come and go pretty quick, and sell their new machines fairly cheap. God Bless Them!:laughing7:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Publicity blowback can include the Arkies pushing for more anti detecting legislation because they didn't get to dig the 100 acres themselves, joe six-pack thinking his property holds significantly valuable items and showing a reluctance to give anyone permission to detect, newbies flooding onto public property with the attendant turf damage which could trigger banning detectors from government properties (used to be known as "public" property). Positive effects of publicity would be ???? You tell me, because I can't think of any right off.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There will always be people who come and go with popularity. Some who do good for the hobby and others who are inconsiderate dig heads and make it bad for others. But thankfully those dig heads usually move on.

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started getting into MD myself. Mainly, for more family time and decided it would be fun on vacation at the beach. We already geocached as a family and this was more of an excuse to spend time with the kids outdoors hiking and fishing too. The unexpected side for me was enjoying the research and looking at maps to find places to search off the beaten path. Because it ties into history of the area I live, as well as, history of our country. I will say with a background in law enforcement I am very keen to following the rules and being aware of what is permissible and what is not. Anyone who takes the time to learn the hobby/activity should not have a problem and not have to worry about those who chase flights of fancy per say. Also, I would consider someone who took the time to get special permission to search a historically significant place as mention above definitely would be someone I would seek out for advice or information on how to participate along with them. Just my thoughts on this topic.:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bingo Duckshot! Newbie's come and go pretty quick, and sell their new machines fairly cheap. God Bless Them!:laughing7:
ive mentioned on other posts - people see all the gold, silver and relics I find and they say "if he can do it ...I can" Have had a load of
guys run out and buy one and then sell weeks later saying "all there is - is junk out there"
I got a $1200 dollar machine like new for $600 and another $900 machine and package for $400 like new because of
guys jumping in and jumping right back out - there are times when its fun and others when its more like work - but
I been in the hobby since 1975 age 12 and will probably die doing it

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes time to become a good detectorist. Period.

The beginnings are frustrating and plainly most people start with too high expectations. Imho, around 80% who start will give up before they get "productive".

Greets Namxat

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... OH ..I have been on TV for detecting a few times and have been in news papers also here and there
and I'm sure those attracted new hunters too :tongue3:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
90% of newbies are a flash in the pan. We're better off staying at the low profile level. Just my opinion.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good replies! I did see a surge in new detectorists around here when "Diggers" was airing...they made it look easy, the easiest being where they detected...Im sure with the connections they had with being affiliated to the show, was the main reason they got on some REALLY, really good sites that most likely would have been off limits to you and I. It seemed like these local newbies up and disappeared just about as fast as they appeared. Rock is probably spot-on with his estimate of 90% attrition rate...maybe even higher. Those who percieve detecting as a job or a way to get rich, and not as a HOBBY...seem to fail fastest. I say-no worries to the OP, those who detect will, and those who don't will sell us all their new gear for cents on the dollar. Ddf.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All good replies! I did see a surge in new detectorists around here when "Diggers" was airing...they made it look easy, the easiest being where they detected...Im sure with the connections they had with being affiliated to the show, was the main reason they got on some REALLY, really good sites that most likely would have been off limits to you and I. It seemed like these local newbies up and disappeared just about as fast as they appeared. Rock is probably spot-on with his estimate of 90% attrition rate...maybe even higher. Those who percieve detecting as a job or a way to get rich, and not as a HOBBY...seem to fail fastest. I say-no worries to the OP, those who detect will, and those who don't will sell us all their new gear for cents on the dollar. Ddf.
Most of what they found on Diggers had to go to the local museums. I doubt they even got to keep 20% of what they found on the show.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lets hope they buy an Equinox 800. Ha, ha lovely combination a newbie hunting with the 800. They likely couldn't find a manhole cover that is covered in dust. Or be spending six months inside trying to understand how to use it.
Ok, don't blast me I have an 800 and love it.

OP
OP
D

danemark

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Thanks for all your thoughts on the subject. I think all we can do is really work hard to represent our hobby for ourselves and others in the hobby. I recently experienced a squatter of sorts. Detecting on two vacant lots (homes torn down) behind a very old bank. The bank owns the property and gave me permission to detect there (not during bank hours,leave it as you found it and just let them know of any interesting things that I found). I did find a Civil War token there and a seated Carson City dime there (1876) and they were fascinated. Well low and behold I came there one day and see a bunch of open holes in the lot. That the lot was on the main street in town did not help, but no doubt someone saw me and decided to give it a go (without permission). Well I filled all the holes (dug a lot of holes in a very limited area of the lots- nail infested to say the least!) and continued to hunt. I needed to email the folks at the bank to let them know that someone else had left the open holes (they believed me as I had hunted there for a number of times and they saw how I left the lot each time). This selfish person endangered my ability to continue to detect these types of properties here in my hometown. Folks here know me (grew up and live in this town) but, it would be hard to defend this in other locations. So maybe this thread could have been expanded - "Opportunist- do they endanger the hobby?"

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet 90% of these newbies who buy a detector because of news stories give up within weeks. Good for the MD dealers and people buying a little used detector's on eBay. They would give up within hours in my area with the ratio of finds to trash about 1:100. for me it is a hobby and great excuse to get off the computer and out in the fresh (hot summer Georgia air). Due to the many inaccuracies of visual displays and masked targets, you never ever really do know the answer of each trash or treasure dig mystery which is part of the thrill.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of what they found on Diggers had to go to the local museums. I doubt they even got to keep 20% of what they found on the show.

I have zero interest in what those guys got to keep...I was stating that the 90% attrition rate referred to the amount of ppl who dropped out after not getting rich their first time out.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe lively post. True that most don't stick with it. Terry, I love those lightly used machines!
Reminds me of a friend who does underwater welding. This guy makes $300/ + hr! I showed him my excal and a gold ring I found at the beach and he seemed really interested. He loves underwater, e loves gadgets. I was hesitaint to make a new detecting monster but was mildly encouraging. He travels all over the world with a ton of gear to exotic destinations and works on huge ships and projects. They only let him work a few hours a day for safety reasons. The rest of the day he chills on the beach and chases skirts. I figured with all that diving gear and free range of old docks and boats etc I'd see him in a few years and he'd have found tons of stuff. Not so. That Excal has seen about 4 hours of use in 3 years lol. I offered to buy it off him last I saw him but he was hesitant saying " I haven't got the chance to try it out much". This from a guy who spends most of his work day at the beach and is only allowed to work maybe 2- 4 hours a day. I guess when you make $300/ hr finding a gold ring doesn't do as much for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread