Die break or crack on this McCoin?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this during the McCoin frenzy not realizing it's the so-called short print 1998-2008 coin. There appears to be a major die break and die cracks running through the coin. The coin is still sealed in the original wrapper and there is no damage to the wrapper that might suggest PMD, (for lack of a better term)
What are your thoughts? I've been tracking these coins and there are known examples that contain die errors on the dates but nothing like the markings on my example.

20180815_172541.jpg
20180815_172905.jpg
20180815_172440.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are not Die Cracks which would be on the interior of the coin but can extend to the rim. They are Lamination defects in the planchet itself, one of which has suffered a large separation of the coins' surface (from the "5" in "50" through the "B" in "BIG") and the term for this type of error is called a De-Lamination Error. Die Breaks would show as small to larger Cuds on and along the periphery of the rim.

Lamination Cracks

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=153543

Last edited:
OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information! I have revised my eBay listing based on your observation and links. I hope it is desireable to a collector.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions